ATI 5870 Replacement

jason93

Limp Gawd
So my card is dead and my warranty has expired with sapphire. which card would match the card or be a little faster in the $200 range? I really don't care about brand, but would like a longer warranty than 2 years. I game at 1920x1080 and like to run at high or max settings on most games.

2500k @ 4ghz
8gb Crucial Ram
Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
Corsair TX850m
Crucial M4 128gb

Last edited:
Just curious, what happened to the card or how do you know it's dead? Might be worth a look to see if you can fix it. To answer your question, your best bet is an Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401 , which has a 3 year warranty. The GTX 560 Ti is about the speed of a 5870, but for ~$200 that's the highest you'll get. Your next step up would be a 6950, but that'll cost ~$225+.

Last edited:
Throw that dead 5870 on ebay for parts/repair, i bet someone spends $80-100 on it lol. You could try removing the shroud, fan , heatsink and then throwing it in the oven for 7-8 minutes see if that reflows the solder.

My computer was freaking out with the card installed and shut down the system. Now it boots but the fan is louder than hell. It looks like I need a new fan or an aftermarket fan/heatsink. Anyone recommend a good replacement fan?

My computer was freaking out with the card installed and shut down the system. Now it boots but the fan is louder than hell. It looks like I need a new fan or an aftermarket fan/heatsink. Anyone recommend a good replacement fan?
If you can get into Windows just reinstall your driver. Sometimes I bad crash can corrupt portions of a driver. If a reinstall doesn't fix it, try manually uninstalling the driver in Device Manager and then reinstalling the driver. Also note that you can control the fan manually via CCC or set up an automatic fan profile in a program like MSI Afterburner.

You could always buy another 5870 for less than $200....

6950 2GB would be my choice if you end up needing to replace, yes its over $200, but not by much, and spending $200 on a lateral move is not a good option IMHO.

Well I just saved some money. Reinstalled drivers and no issues so far. The fan noise wasn't the card fan. I noticed the whole computer had a bad vibrate, come to find out one of the blades off my corsair H50 fan broke off causing my 5870 fan to be off balance.

Well I just saved some money. Reinstalled drivers and no issues so far. The fan noise wasn't the card fan. I noticed the whole computer had a bad vibrate, come to find out one of the blades off my corsair H50 fan broke off causing my 5870 fan to be off balance.

good decision. wait for the kepler series to come out and hope overall gpu prices will go down.

Glad it was an easy fix. :cool:

good decision. wait for the kepler series to come out and hope overall gpu prices will go down.

At x1200 or x1080 it really doesn't make much sense to upgrade from a 5870 if it works. Unless it dies in the near future (again) you'll likely have no reason to upgrade.

With a stock OC my 5870 does better than most 6950s. Slightly slower as far as tesselation goes, but outside of that it's the best bargain you can possibly get for 1080p resolution. Got mine for $150 :)

Nice, 5870's are still plenty beastly so that's good you don't have to replace it yet.

Nice, 5870's are still plenty beastly so that's good you don't have to replace it yet.

This works against those of us with an itch to upgrade having owned the 5870 since launch day (2.5 years almost).

my 5870 died 15 days before the warranty ended :eek:

Still waiting for replacement card though.....thats the last time I get a sapphire card.

Back