• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI 5870 multi-channel pcm?

RESTfulADI

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
2,218
So I just wall-mounted my Kuro and set up the surround sound, now I want to play sofa-friendly games like GTA IV had put off waiting for a proper setup. The problem is I would need to run three 20ft stereo cables from my pc to the receiver for multi-channel analog. I don't have DD Live and I probably wouldn't use it even if I did.

My receiver is old and doesn't have HDMI, I need to upgrade it anyway and I'm wondering if I can use the 5870's hdmi out for multi-channel pcm in games so I don't have to run all those stereo cables.
 
Have you tried...
5870 -> HDMI Cable (audio/video) -> Kuro
Kuro -> S/PDIF (coax/optical) -> Receiver

EDIT: I haven't tried it myself, but I think the Kuro should send Dolby Digital through its optical output

The receiver can't get multi channel PCM without HDMI. Best you'll get is DD/DTS.
 
Last edited:
AFAIK due to licensing crap, a TV will pass through to the S/PDIF only 2 channels of a multi-channel signal, with the exception of OTA or Clear QAM (but I guess that's not "passing through" so it wouldn't be an exception) from its tuner so I didn't try that. And besides the TV would have to encode the multi-channel pcm it gets from the pc into DD or DTS and it can't do that.

I'm asking if I buy a receiver with HDMI, will I be able to send multi-channel pcm in games to it using the 5870. I can justify the purchase if I can do that but I'm not buying another receiver just for bitstreaming.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top