• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI 5770 or Evga 280?

foomanchoo

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 17, 2007
Messages
88
A guy is selling a 280 gtx locally for 200.It was an rma from evga in white box with nothing else.I may offer him 175.
Or should I just order a 5770 from newegg for around the same price?

I'm leaning towards the ati for all the obvious reasons.dx 11.etc.
 
The 280 is significantly faster than the 5770, and you got a decent price on it. I'd keep it.
 
The 280 is significantly faster than the 5770, and you got a decent price on it. I'd keep it.


I'm guessing about 20% faster.I'm only gaming at 1680 x 1050 if that makes a difference.Hopefully I will move up to a 24" monitor next year though.
 
I wouldn't. As of now the only game that takes advantage of DX11 is Dirt2 and the difference is not THAT dramatic and I'm also not sure how well the 5770 will do with all the settings maxed out at 16x10, I know it wouldn't be very playable at 19x12 as my 5870 gets around 45-50 fps.

If you're itching for an upgrade, I wouldn't look any lower than a 5850, if you do I think you'll end up being dissappointed with the performance since what you have would actually be more powerful, just lacking in a couple features.
 
Errrr....it seems that the op has a $200 budget. Not everyone wants to spend $320 on a 5850, which is the going rate for one right now. gtx280 will be a good upgrade, and if you can get it for $175, all the better. I'd say try $160, that'll be a steal.
 
depends on what you really want from a video card....

for the 5770
i personally like the low power draw at idle, and multimonitor support(not using eyefinity for games even though i might. just need to turn down all the eye candy). i just like alot of workspace

even though i won't use it for gaming much. i like the idea of it being able to do so if and when i do want too. maybe when i want to play games dx11 will be supported by alot of games.

but if you just want a fast card and don't care about those features then get the 280
 
get him to agree on helping you out with a replacement if you ever need it again, because if he rma'ed it, the card is linked to him permanently. unless he turns over his evga account to you, I doubt it though.
 
Errrr....it seems that the op has a $200 budget. Not everyone wants to spend $320 on a 5850, which is the going rate for one right now. gtx280 will be a good upgrade, and if you can get it for $175, all the better. I'd say try $160, that'll be a steal.

I misread his post and though he alrady had a 280 and was thinking about an 'upgrade' to a 5770, hence my suggestion. Between the 5770 and the 280 i'd go with the 280 unless it was going in a HTPC build. If it's not HTPC or a SFF where power and silence are at a premium, power draw is a distant afterthought to performance.
 
Actually I don'y have the 280.I offered 175 and he said yes.Is this a good deal?He said if I ever had any problems he would rma it for me no problem.I'm upgrading from a 8800 gt.

Its not for the system in my sig.
 
That is a great deal, the 280 is only marginally slower than the 285 and at $175 that is an incredible bargain.
 
That is a great deal, the 280 is only marginally slower than the 285 and at $175 that is an incredible bargain.

I'm picking it up Monday.Maybe I can get 40-50 for my evga 8800 gt.That would drop it to 125 out of pocket.Not bad.
Or sell my 9600 gt and put the 8800 into the htpc.the 9600 seems to run hot but has hdmi which I'm not even using,i'm using the dvi into vga.
 
Assuming both are using the same refrence cooler, the 8800GT runs quite a bit hotter than a 9600GT.
 
Well, I think I've made my decision. The 5850 seems like the best bet, but I'm gonna wait for the prices to drop a bit. I'll just use one of the 8800 GTs for now.
 
Back
Top