ATI 4890 Cooling problem

Dillirium

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Messages
439
Before someone says it.. yes I did a search but I didn't find anything w/ the keywords I used.. If you have a link. Please enlighten me.

Here's my situation. I have a 4890 with the default fan/heatsink that came with it.. YES, I know .. i was cheap and dumb. It was never a problem until now.

I even cleaned the heatsink/fan and it's still overheating. I blame Bad Company 2 since it's the only game it locks up in. Actually makes it work I think :)


Can anyone assist w/ their expertise. I was checking out a zalman on newegg but I'm unsure what to get without popping the current heatsink/fan off. Do you guys get heatsinks for the memory too?

Can anyone please let me know what I should get to resolve my overheating problem.

Additional info:
Overheating in a 65 degree F room with open case. Last night I put a huge fan on it so I could play my game :p

Last time I even had to think about getting an after market cooler was the FOP-38.... Yeah that long ago. Stupid thing was loud haha.
 
i used Thermalright T-rad2 with 2x 92mm yates low rpm and VRM-R1

couldnt be happier, overclock to 990, 1200 and stay silent all time.

while running msi kombustor/furmark clone, GPU temp never passed 70'c



 
Haven't had any issues with my stock HSF 4890s. I'd blame it on your case, but you say you're running open so I don't know what's going on there. Drop back to stock speeds if you're OCed at all? Especially if you're running any higher than stock voltage on it.

^^^
That card is what, 3 slots wide with a big secondary hanging off the back / top? Way too big, and would never work in my Crossfire setup.
 
How hot is the actual heat sink (or the air coming off of it) when you put your hand near it at operational temps? If it's cold, you could either have a temp sensor gone bonkers, or the TIM has gone south.

The fan could be dying as well. Just a few things to think about.
 
It's hot for sure.. I put my fingers on the heatsink and it's VERY warm.. Fan is working but just not well enough. New development though. Last night I wiped all drivers off of my computer. I had the latest ATI drivers for Win7 64-bit. After uninstalling them and using the default Microsoft driver... i didn't have to run my fan.....(the big one)

The stock HSF seemed to do just fine. No lockups.. very strange IMO.
 
Just another follow up incase someone is doing a hardforum search or google etc..

I played for 3 hrs yesterday. No lockups, no overheating etc... I had removed my Catalyst drivers/software. Now using the default Win7 64-bit driver. Was having problems with Bad Company locking up. Now it runs just great.

I also found that the Catalyst were causing another issue too. My computer was taking 5+ minutes to boot.. normally it would take about 1 min 30 seconds or less. When I logged into my computer it sounded like my HD was going bad.. it was grinding like mad. In my efforts to fix my heating/driver problem... I was trying to check my ATI Control Center to see if my card was OC'd. When I tried to launch teh Control Center i noticed my computer started heavily grinding again.

The system Event viewer was spammed w/ a message about the NVSTOR64.

I think there's some kind of compatibility issue between the latest ATI Software/drivers and the latest NForce drivers for my EVGA 780i. Vidcard is the XFX 4890.

After uninstalling all nforce drivers and ATI drivers (+ software) everything is doing fine. I may try to upgrade vid drivers w/out upgrading nforce drivers to see if that part works ok. I will report my results for people trying to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Dill
 
I've been having issues with the latest couple versions of Catalyst myself -- 10.2 and 10.3 specifically. 10.1 seems to have been fine. No Nforce chipset here though. Hmm...
 
After gaming nightly for hours on end... I need to say that the computer is running great at this point.. I have the latest ATI software installed. No CCC problem. So must have been a Nforce/Ati conflict of sorts.

Regardless.. computer boots fast and I'm playing stable once again.

-Dill
 
I had an issue with 10.2/3 I went with 9.12 (I think). I made the mistake of OC'ing and forgetting about it. I set the fan speed back down after I was done playing, next day I played again but didn't put speed up, I was running 1100/1250 mhz and I started getting funky circles on the screen. Closed BF put fan to 100% and reset clocks back for about 2 mins. Temps came down Changed clocks to 975/1150 mhz and fan at 70%. When playing BC2 you don't notice them running. I restarted BC2 and it ran fine. I don't think I got anymore FPS from the 150/200 mhz OC.
 
Back
Top