ATI 4870x2 questions for other owners

reaper12

2[H]4U
Hi, I have a 4870x2 a few days now and don't think I am getting the best out of it. I am on Vista 64, with 4GB of ram and a Q6600.

first, since installing the 4870x2 I have a service called svchost.exe running at around 15% cpu useage all the time. Also explorer.exe keeps flicking between 1% and 0% useage. The system idle never reaches 99% cpu useage like it used to before. Is this normal? Can others users check and see if their systems are doing the same.

The other strange thing I have noticed is that the the icon for safely removing hardware now appears in the system tray. This used to only appear if I plugged in a USB key or an external USB harddrive. When I click on it to see what hardware I can safely remove it lists the 4870x2 twice and the HDMI audio device. Again, can other 4870x2 users see if they get the same please.

Lastly, in games, well mainly counterstrike source, I get sudden drops in framerates. I don't notice in any other game yet, because I haven't the card that long and have only gave them a quick test. In CS:S, it starts fine for a while, then after about 10-15 minutes my frame rates drop from about 200 to around 40 every few seconds.

I am using the official drivers, but, I have tried the ones that came with the card and the 8.54's (supposedly 8.9 beta's) The same things happen. I am back on the official drivers as they seem to work best for me.

my idle is 99% and have no safely remove hardware icon im afraid. have you tried doing a clean install of the drivers using drive clean as well? If so, maybe you might give a fresh os install a try? sorry i cant be of more help

ya guy thats not normal. I would uninstall all ATI drivers, use driver sweeper and reinstall. Its a good excuse to install the 8.54 beta drivers that offer awesome performance!

I did another complete uninstall and this time also reseated the card. Now the CPU useage is back to normal and the framerate drop in CS:S has stopped. But I am still seeing the "safely remove hardware" icon in my system tray. It's like when you have a USB key plugged in. I might contact HIs tomorrow and see if this is ok. thanks for the help everyone

You install EVERYTHING in that 397meg. version 8.54 ATI package? I noticed that the install will attempt to install some ATI USB drivers by default. I selected not to install that and like 3 other things during the install of the 8.54 drivers. I only selected to install CCC and the drivers. That's all you need.

Back