ATI 3870 x2 vs NVIDIA 8800GTX

Apathy

Gawd
upgrading to:
---amd phenom black cpu
---asus mvp (ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail)
---4gb corsair dominator (4x1gb)
---1000w psu... enermax?
---hd lcd monitor ~20 - 24inch

question is. do i go with dual ati 3870's running in cross fire, or just get 1 nvidia 8800gtx for about the same price. which is faster, future proof, make more sense? anyone?

ATI 3870 512MB --- @ ~$240
SAPPHIRE 100215L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

NVIDIA 8800 GTX --- @ ~$455
BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

why are you getting a 1000w cpu... thats over kill

im pretty sure my corsair HX620 could handle that system

maybe even the HX520 could

the reason i want the 1000w is for the same reason as why i want the cooler master 830 case @ ~ $180. i am just trying to future proof as much as possible at the moment without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

I'd probably go with the 3870 X2, not 2 cards, but the single PCI-E card with 2 cores on it.

Also I'd get a C2D, Intel chipset motherboard, and a 2x2GB memory kit.

I also agree that you should pass on the 1000w. Just get a high quality ~600-700w.

the reason i want the 1000w is for the same reason as why i want the cooler master 830 case @ ~ $180. i am just trying to future proof as much as possible at the moment without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

Unless your planing on like quad crossfire/sli you don't really need anything 1000+

yea, after i made this post, i saw the 3870 x2 post bumped. didnt realize they were making a single card version. after reading through most of it, i think im going to have to wait until theres some more official benchmarks and reviews posted. let the enthusiasts waste their money before i blow my load.

i saw the price point was around 450 or so, but whens the release date?

as for the psu, maybe i will scale down to a 670 or so. we shall see how much money i have in my wallet to blow at that point. i might end up going for a 3rd or 4th card if it makes sense. i havent been in the loop for awhile, just trying to get back into it now since im in the market for a completey new rig in the near future. besides, we all know that at some point someone is going to be saying, why the hell didnt you just buy the 1000watt instead of the 600 when you knew that was going to be obsolete in a year or two.

Lol, "future-proof". :rolleyes:

That concept is so inherently flawed. Why spend a lot now simply so you won't have to spend money later? Get something that has bang-for-the-buck and upgrade when time calls for it, don't go attempting to predict the future, it could very well go against your favor.

If spending money like this (i.e., gambling) is your prerogative, then go for it....

Well when it comes to PSU's you can certainly future proof it. I've been using the same PSU for years now in multiple systems.
yeah but in the op's case a 1000watt psu would be ludicrous for a system that wont even pull half of that even if every component was at full load at the same time(never happens). a good quality Corsair 620 or 650 watt would be plenty with room to spare. theres nothing wrong with having a little bigger psu if he finds a good deal on one but theres no point in spending a lot more for something that will go to waste.

alright, so screw the 1000 watt for now. and the guess the op is futile at this point anyway since my eyes are now on the 3870x2 single card solution. my original question was whether or not to get dual 3870's instead of the 8800gtx. but now i suppose i have to wait to see whether or not the 3870x2 will out perform an 8800gtx. im sure it probably will beat out the price/value. now its just the waiting game for newegg to make them available to me.

Theres no reason to buy a GTX anymore when the G92 8800GTS performs very similar for much cheaper.(If you're considering GTX that is)

Theres no reason to buy a GTX anymore when the G92 8800GTS performs very similar for much cheaper.(If you're considering GTX that is)
I agree on getting the 8800gts 512mb. Its $100 cheaper, uses less power and is actually faster than the 8800gtx in plenty of games especially below 1920x1200.

I also considering a 8800 gts or a 3870x2, waiting for some reviews and price after the ati is released. I wouldn't buy a gtx unless the price is just a bit more than the gts

Back