ATI 3870 run 2560x1600 fine?

Casej18

Limp Gawd
Hey,
Well im looking at building a computer and I believe im in the toss up between the 3870 and the 3870x2. The thing is I really don't play video games any more, I would be using this for CAD programming called GemVision. This card would be hooked up to a Dell 3007 and I was wondering if the 3870 could handle it by its self. I realize you guys are a lot more knowledgeable about this than me, so any input would be great!

It would be fine to run 2560x1600, but probably not for games, unless you want to turn down your settings a good amount.

But if you're not going to be playing games, might want to save yourself some money and get a lower end card that will run the resolution just fine, too.

Yeah there are many cheaper alternatives if all you want to drive is a 30 inch monitor. All you need is a video card with a "dual-link" dvi port. Be weary of "dual dvi" as that just means two physical dvi ports, or dvi-d/dvi-a/dvi-i as that just means its digital/analog/both respectively. None of those guarantee that it is dual-link.

Back