• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATi: 2 Driver Questions, 1 CCC Question

ChthonicEidolon

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
92
- 1) Is it necessary, or has it ever been known to cause problems (crashes etc.) to install the HDMI audio drivers?

I did notice some odd sound glitches here and there with certain games, but also wondering if there's any conflict with onboard audio drivers that might cause issues.

- 2) After uninstalling ATi's drivers and going temporarily back to my GTX 280, the process "atieclxx.exe" is still running as a process on my system. Neither Driver Sweeper nor Driver Cleaner Pro were able to remove it, apparently.

Is there a way to remove it completely, and can it cause any issues (particularly if not running ATi at the moment)?

- 3) Has anyone noticed any increase/decrease in performance or visual quality messing with the Catalyst A.I. settings?

I know what it's intended to do, and some people in some games seem to have increases and decreases/problems depending on whether it's on Standard, Advanced or completely off.

I'll be moving back to the 5870 in the next day or two, so wanted to try to get some clarification on these things.

Thanks.
 
1.) idk since i dont use HDMI
2.)http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=121536 hers sum info for that particular task...
3.)yes i do notice a small performance increase when i put everything on low in CCC but then again the picture quality will be greatly reduced... in game the images will be more blurry/pixelated... my personal opinion would be leave it at default and disable AA in CCC and check the box where it says use application settings
 
I let the HDMI audio drivers install; if you run into a problem, just go into Device Manager and disable them.
 
1.) idk since i dont use HDMI
2.)http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=121536 hers sum info for that particular task...
3.)yes i do notice a small performance increase when i put everything on low in CCC but then again the picture quality will be greatly reduced... in game the images will be more blurry/pixelated... my personal opinion would be leave it at default and disable AA in CCC and check the box where it says use application settings

Thanks for the link, but the forums you linked to I actually found earlier, which is what I've already stated that I've done and has not worked. Driver Sweeper has not removed that particular AMD process from running, and the few people who posted in that thread seemed to have the same issues of it not being removed.

I cant find any more info on removing that leftover process after uninstalling AMD GPUs.

In terms of settings, I didn't mean put "everything" on low in terms of graphical settings, just the Catalyst A.I. setting. AA/AF etc. I handle on a per-game basis. I use in-game settings when available, but the Catalyst A.I. setting for "optimizing" graphical/performance balance, I was curious as to what people have experienced with it in any ways.

Some people have experienced massive crashes from messing with the Catalyst A.I., some people have experienced increases in performance with no noticeable difference in visuals by turning it off, and some people have experienced the same by putting it on advanced. I don't mess with it, so just wondering how much it really does.

I usually leave everything on "Quality", and set AA/AF in-game when possible.

As for the HDMI audio, I don't know if it's caused problems. I have onboard audio, so I don't need it, but for all I know it could be contributing to some problems with GSOD, performance etc. if it creates any system conflicts. Just a thought.
 
Today I played BioShock for the first time on this crossfire system, and although my average FPS was incredible (400+ at 2560 x 1600), I ran into a few places where it would drop to 20FPS.

When I disabled Catalyst AI, which forces the game to only run on one GPU, my average FPS dropped to around 90, but I no longer saw the massive minimum frame rate drop. In my case this is probably due to bad coding for quad-fire, and playing with the Catalyst AI setting let me find a way to play the game without huge performance drops.
 
- 1) Is it necessary, or has it ever been known to cause problems (crashes etc.) to install the HDMI audio drivers?

I did notice some odd sound glitches here and there with certain games, but also wondering if there's any conflict with onboard audio drivers that might cause issues.

- 2) After uninstalling ATi's drivers and going temporarily back to my GTX 280, the process "atieclxx.exe" is still running as a process on my system. Neither Driver Sweeper nor Driver Cleaner Pro were able to remove it, apparently.

Is there a way to remove it completely, and can it cause any issues (particularly if not running ATi at the moment)?

1. I've done both, and never had issue with or without it. Onboard sound blows, in my opinion. I never use it as it sounds like crap compared to my E-gamer/Audigy 2.

2. You ran Driversweeper/etc in safe mode right? Short of that, manually find and delete the files.
 
Back
Top