Athlon64 x2 and DVDShrink not getting along.

I have an Athlon x2 3800+, ABIT KN8-SLI with newest bios, 1gig DC Corsair ValueSelect DDR-400, XFX 6600GT 128meg, 2 160gig SATA drives, 1 80gig PATA, NEC ND-3500AG DVD drive.

When I use DVDShrink, the backup process without any of the quality enhancements on takes in the range of 45-60mins, and with deep analysis and QE on its more like 3-4 hrs. I KNOW this isn't right. On my 2.4c P4 it was way faster with the same dvd drive, and on my friends A64 3200+ laptop its only like 8 mins. And help with this would be most appreciated as I've tried just about everything I can think of to fix this.

rip the dvd to the hard drive first using DVD decrypter then decode - MUUUUCH fast.

You are limited to how fast your DVD drive is, which is ATA33 (33MB max theoretical). Your chip can crunch WAY more data than that. Rip it to your HD and get upwards of 133-150 or even 300 theoretical for faster encoding....backups...er...you know

EDIT: no freakin way it only took 8 minutes on a 3200 lappy

Yeah you definitely not doing it right if you didnt ripp it to your hd first.

dvdshrink for a typical movie that "needs" downsampling, should be around an hour or or so for that cpu with deep analysis and quality settings on.

fuelvolts said:
rip the dvd to the hard drive first using DVD decrypter then decode - MUUUUCH fast.

You are limited to how fast your DVD drive is, which is ATA33 (33MB max theoretical). Your chip can crunch WAY more data than that. Rip it to your HD and get upwards of 133-150 or even 300 theoretical for faster encoding....backups...er...you know

EDIT: no freakin way it only took 8 minutes on a 3200 lappy

I agree - the only way it would take 8 minutes is if it was only ripping a single layer dvd and not compressing it. Even then 8 minutes for a full 4.35gb disc on a laptop dvd drive is pretty amazing.

So yeah I ripped it with DVD Decrypter and thru it into shrink and with everything turned on it took about 45-50 mins, I'd say thats better.

The real issue I think is that my DVD drive is going bad, as it was only able to rip the data off the disk at 2x speed which I know is wrong. It used to rip alot faster but I think the power surges and power cleanlyness issues that crippled my 2.4 might have hit the DVD drive as it refuses to burn CDs now, only DVDs. So I'm gonna borrow a drive that I know works correctly and see if thats the issue, if so its NewEgg for me and the trash bin for the NEC.

As for the laptop making DVD's, I asked him to clarify what he meant when I asked him how long it took him to copy a DVD he said 8 mins again. I asked if he was talking about the encoding, he thought I was talking about burning from ISO. So yeah I thought it was a bit off but normally he dosent make such mistakes lol. It's more like a bit over hour.

Thanks again for the help.

Back