Athlon64 3000+ for $146 w/ Free Shopping

Quintis said:
Is the 754 a Thoroughbred,, or is that a typo?

Think it was a typo, clicking the item revieled this:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail

Model# ADA3000AXBOX
Item # N82E16819103486

Specifications:
Model: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Core: Newcastle
Operating Frequency: 2GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13 Micron
Socket: Socket 754
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: Retail Box (Heatsink and Fan included)

If you click through the promo page, you'll see that it is a Newcastle.

Are the NF4 boards socket 939?
or can they support other sockets as well?

To everyone who's saying to buy the 939 proc's: They're slower. They have the same PR rating, but only run at 1.8 GHz as opposed to 2.0. Yes, know 939 has dual channel memory, but show me a real-world benchmark where that matters. Sandra/SiSoft need not apply. Also, 754 boards remain cheaper than their 939 counterparts. So this really is a pretty good
deal.

EDIT: fixed typo

icthus13 said:
Yes, know 939 has dual channel memory, but show me a real-world benchmark where that matters.

I'm a P4 guy atm, and I realized a minumum 10% increase in all games going from Single to Dual Channel with PAT.
I wouldn't accept anything w/o the Dual channel anymore.

Please try to remember that this is a hot deal forum, not the discussion of your equipment. Stay on track or it gets closed :)

icthus13 said:
To everyone who's saying to buy the 939 proc's: They're slower. They have the same PR rating, but only run at 1.8 GHz as opposed to 2.0. Yes, know 939 has dual channel memory, but show me a real-world benchmark where that matters. Sandra/SiSoft need not apply. Also, 754 boards remain cheaper than their 939 counterparts. So this really is a pretty good
deal.

The socket 939 processors are not slower. Especially the new 90nm parts. The 90nm version is faster then the 130nm s939 which is faster then the s754.

Dual channel most definitely makes a difference in areas that can make use of the extra bandwidth. The only reason you may think it doesn't is because games dont use alot of bandwidth and so more bandwidth doesn't improve gaming performance.

The 90nm s939 processors use less power, operate at a lower voltage and overclock much better then the s754 processors.

BTW, do we get free shopping with this deal? :D

s754 isn't going anywhere but the a64's are. a64's are going to be strictly 939 where Semprons will be utilizing the s754. If you buy a s754 board then I'll assume you're going to be buying budget processors for future upgrades.

Spend the few extra bucks people.

icthus13 - don't assume actual clock speed on AMD processors means much. They use those PR ratings for a reason. :cool:

MajorDomo said:
Please try to remember that this is a hot deal forum, not the discussion of your equipment. Stay on track or it gets closed :)

True, but pointing out how good/bad an item is, can determine if it is a good deal. Sometimes its a bad deal because the company doesnt honor its rebates (see the Lame Soyo not honoring rebates thread). Other times its the merchandise that isnt good. Like a hard drive deal of a few months ago (i forget the thread) where the HDs kept breaking down.

Its not a good deal if its junk or its not as good as you think it is. Thats why when I see a deal posted here followed by 7-10+ negative remarks about the product, I stay away. Ive saved some good $$ by not buying some stuff thanks to these mindful posters.

Thank You [H]ard deal posters.

pulldownyourpants said:
s754 isn't going anywhere but the a64's are. a64's are going to be strictly 939 where Semprons will be utilizing the s754. If you buy a s754 board then I'll assume you're going to be buying budget processors for future upgrades.

Spend the few extra bucks people.

icthus13 - don't assume actual clock speed on AMD processors means much. They use those PR ratings for a reason. :cool:

Well, as of right now there are good s754 CPUs... and great mobos. I personally dont care what happens to 754 because i will bet going 939 as soon a ther give me a good mobo..

but right now i cant ask for more, and dont think i could get a preformence incress by going 939... seeing as i wont be abel to clock bearly what i can now... I NEED A DFI 939!

Thats kindof expensive. I can get a combo with that CPU and an MSI K8T-Neo at Fry's for like $199. They have had that deal for about a month now.

come on people, haven't you been reading the reviews? dual channel memory adds very little performance for the athlon64's. with the p4's, there's a HUGE increase in going from single to dual channel memory...

the a64's are usually seeing increases in the 1-5% range.... if anything.

If my memory serves me correctly, you are correct. Actually, you just helped me stay away from purchasing memory that I could run in dual channel mode. :D

The point I try to make for all a64 buyers/shoppers is the fact that s754 is not going to support a64's for very long. I currently have a 3000+ s939 w/ an MSI N8? Neo platinum board that I can most likely swap out the CPU on when AMD release the 4000+ at a reduced price (you know, the $150 range ;).

senorpyro said:
come on people, haven't you been reading the reviews? dual channel memory adds very little performance for the athlon64's. with the p4's, there's a HUGE increase in going from single to dual channel memory...

Very true, but in s939 defence, its easer to run and overclock 1 gig of memory, on a dual channel system. The singal channel s754 systems tend to not like 2 dual sided banks of 512 @ 400Mhz, i belive it even unsupported. The they can onyl handel 2 banks of DDR 400. (so 1 512 or 2 256 sticks) so overclocking with 2x 512 can be a drag on s754...

correct me if in wrong, i have not used s939 myself yet....

well, i'm running an a64 2800 on a k8t800 based chaintech board with 2 dual sided ddr400 modules and everything is working perfectly. i have to imagine if a board as pathetic as my chaintech can do it on a <relatively> ancient chipset that many other boards should be able to do the same.

I(illa Bee said:
Well, as of right now there are good s754 CPUs... and great mobos. I personally dont care what happens to 754 because i will bet going 939 as soon a ther give me a good mobo..

but right now i cant ask for more, and dont think i could get a preformence incress by going 939... seeing as i wont be abel to clock bearly what i can now... I NEED A DFI 939!

The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is a very good board. It had a few bugs early on but they got worked out. Several of the VIA K8T800 Pro chipset boards are really good as well like the Asus, Abit and Soltek. The Neo2 is the best overclocking board though. With the right memory you can hit 300Mhz+.

senorpyro said:

Because your not looking at results from anything thats bandwidth intensive. Games aren't bandwidth intensive and most people just look at game benchmarks.

If you look at bandwidth scores however you'll see the dual channel controller makes quite a bit of difference. A Pentium 4 beats the s754 Athlon 64 in bandwidth easily but my s939 Athlon 64 is scoring over 6000MB/s at only 220Mhz memory.

If you start running applications that can make use of alot of raw bandwidth then the dual channel controller is going to benefit you. Applications that use alot of raw data are good examples of bandwidth intensive programs.

I have 220$ invested in my s754 board/proc, which has an a64 s754 2800+, that, I can get to 2430mhz w/o trying.

My friend spent like 400$ at least on his winchester and 939 setup. It has a nice feel to it, but, for the price, I will stick with what I got.

burningrave101 said:
The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is a very good board. It had a few bugs early on but they got worked out. Several of the VIA K8T800 Pro chipset boards are really good as well like the Asus, Abit and Soltek. The Neo2 is the best overclocking board though. With the right memory you can hit 300Mhz+.

thats good to hear...im seeing no DFI board in sight...may just get one now...

DFI is usually late in the game. And I said 939 for that reason alone. I doubt a lot of you would buy a Sempron anyway. A 939 is a definite choice as the NF4 will take advantage of the 939 technology rather than 754. And it was ECS' decision to TRY to deploy NF4 technology into 754 sockets. I don't see any other boards doing so. And either way, it wouldn't be a smart move to try. Minus props towards ECS in addition to their famous crappy boards.

-J.

GeForceX said:
DFI is usually late in the game. And I said 939 for that reason alone. I doubt a lot of you would buy a Sempron anyway. A 939 is a definite choice as the NF4 will take advantage of the 939 technology rather than 754. And it was ECS' decision to TRY to deploy NF4 technology into 754 sockets. I don't see any other boards doing so. And either way, it wouldn't be a smart move to try. Minus props towards ECS in addition to their famous crappy boards.

-J.
don't know how many ECS boards you've actually used but they have made several boards that are remarkable for the price. Also they have to be doing something right since ABit outsourced some board manufacturing to them a couple years back. ECS fabs a ton of boards you know and love. They make very decent boards for the low price point. If you want a non overclocking board that's stable and has good features ECS is always worth a look. Their i865 board had a lower failure rate at our pc shop than the MSI that was considerably more expensive over the last year.

burningrave101 said:
Because your not looking at results from anything thats bandwidth intensive. Games aren't bandwidth intensive and most people just look at game benchmarks.

If you look at bandwidth scores however you'll see the dual channel controller makes quite a bit of difference. A Pentium 4 beats the s754 Athlon 64 in bandwidth easily but my s939 Athlon 64 is scoring over 6000MB/s at only 220Mhz memory.

If you start running applications that can make use of alot of raw bandwidth then the dual channel controller is going to benefit you. Applications that use alot of raw data are good examples of bandwidth intensive programs.

you're looking at synthetic benchmarks. sisoft scores don't mean diddly squat when it comes to performance.

there are some places where dual channel does help - i'm not about to argue that. but the fact is there are relatively few places where that is the case, and in those situations where there is a difference it is very rarely any more than 5%. any other performance gains will be coming from an updated chipset or something similar, which although they are important to note, negates your arguement that it's actually the dual channel memory providing the performance. and no, i'm not talking about just games... i real ALL of the reviews, everywhere, and watch ALL of the graphs - if you look at actual real world benchmarks, you'll see what i'm talking about.

IMO the reason for dual channel memory now, is for performance sake later, once dual core chips hit the market. a single channel dual core processor would likely be fairly limited, whereas a dual channel dual core processor will likely see a sizeable performance gain. given amd's plan to let the dual core opteron's drop right into an existing single core setup (and hence logically the desktop versions at some point on 939), this makes perfect sense.

senorpyro said:
IMO the reason for dual channel memory now, is for performance sake later, once dual core chips hit the market. a single channel dual core processor would likely be fairly limited, whereas a dual channel dual core processor will likely see a sizeable performance gain. given amd's plan to let the dual core opteron's drop right into an existing single core setup (and hence logically the desktop versions at some point on 939), this makes perfect sense.

intresting thought there.... more and more in thinking about going s939, but for the fast than when a good good mob comes out i will already have the CPU and not need to upgrade it. As oposed to wanting a new board and needing a new CPU to go with it. More so when i upgrade my 6800GT (who knows when) It will be PCI-x im sure, then if i stay s754 i will have a board and CPU to upgrade... at least s939 assures you that one less thin you have to upgrade on my next GPU upgrade..

dose that make sence....

in reality, though it'd likely work, you know there'd be some substantially newer and cooler chipset out that gives you other new toys by the time dual core chips are available.

given the fact that you've already got an a64 and are even remotely considering upgrading again, i get the feeling that even though a board bought in the near future might work fine, you'd be wanting the latest and greatest, so IMO you'd be better off saving up your money now and buying the whole thing once it's officially released.

besides, there's a definite chance that my theory is completely wrong and you won't be able to use a current 939 board later... i have absolutely nothing to base my theory on but logic, and thinking out how i would do things if i were in their position.

Back