Athlon64 1.0 GHZ?

Unabomber

Supreme [H]ardness
Picked up a CPU at a sale. It's a Socket 754 CPU, and actually works in my Asrock K8U-nForce3 motherboard for the brief time that I tested it. I didn't get much of a chance to test anything else, other than a bootup.

The label on it says ADC1500B2X4BX, and apparently runs at 1.0 GHz, while being recognized by Windows XP as an Athlon64 1500+.

My questions are as follows:

Is this CPU a multiplier-locked one? It runs very cool, and I'd like to give it a shot at some overclocking to see how it will do.

I'm not worried about frying this CPU, since it's pretty much the perfect testing chip for me.

http://fab51.com/workshop/report/ken1r-athlon64_1500.html
It's lidless, so likely mobile. I wouldn't expect much of an OC out of it. And I had no idea they went that low! It's got 512KB of L2, and CrystalCPUID turns it up as a Venice core. At least in their SS, it also looks like a confused 2800- though I have no idea how that could happen!

Edit:
http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/CDN/News.asp?id=37590
...powered by a low-power AMD Athlon64 1500+ processor...
The AMD CPU is more powerful than the Transmeta chip it replaces, he added.
A low-power part, where heat is more important than horsepower. Don't expect anything miraculous out of it- IMO, it's the server version of a Turion. Furthermore, it was pretty much a custom build for HP- like the 3300+.

A low-power part, where heat is more important than horsepower. Don't expect anything miraculous out of it- IMO, it's the server version of a Turion.

Ah, thanks!

I'm not going to use it for any kind of hard crunching apps. It's most likely destined for a passively cooled computer, or perhaps one of those mini-cubes.

Good to know that it can be used at a low power. I'll still try some overclocks with it, just to see what I can squeeze out of it.

Considering its a mobile chip, designed to run at lower voltage for higher clock speed, I would expect some pretty heavy overclocks out of that chip once you start feeding it 1.5v or more.

Where did you get this CPU? How much did it cost?

I got it from a trade show at the colleseum, where a rather shady-looking character was selling all sorts of stuff that was second-hand. 5 bucks for any item in the bin.

Surprisingly out of the five junk items I bought from him, 4 of the 5 actually worked. The CPU seemed to work OK during the limited testing time I had, the 128 MB stick of PC2100 memory turned out to be just fine, along with the GeForce2 GTS AGP video card, and the USB Zip 100 drive. The 20 GB hard drive, though, was DOA.

Not bad for 25 bucks total.

I heard of those cpu, it was indeed a custom order for HP.

Did a bit more reading on these CPU's, and as it turns out, the cores are a bit lower than the usual ones with the heat spreaders on them, so your ordinary Socket 754 heatsink will most likely NOT be making decent contact with the core.

Fortunately, MSI does sell these:

https://shop.msicomputer.com/App/StoreFront/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1021

These are called the "Mobile Pad" and are specifically for this purpose. Not bad for 10 bucks, including shipping. It's certainly cheaper than buying most of those heatsinks that will work with such a chip (such as Thermaltake's 7000 series).

Now, to await the arrival of the mobile pad... I'm feeling like a rotund kid waiting for the candy store to open.

Definitely let us know. Just clarifying: it is NOT a mobile CPU, it is just lidless. I'm not quite sure why they left the lid off, but I'd guess they wanted minimum height since it's for a blade server.

Did a bit more reading on these CPU's, and as it turns out, the cores are a bit lower than the usual ones with the heat spreaders on them, so your ordinary Socket 754 heatsink will most likely NOT be making decent contact with the core.

Fortunately, MSI does sell these:

https://shop.msicomputer.com/App/StoreFront/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1021

These are called the "Mobile Pad" and are specifically for this purpose. Not bad for 10 bucks, including shipping. It's certainly cheaper than buying most of those heatsinks that will work with such a chip (such as Thermaltake's 7000 series).

Now, to await the arrival of the mobile pad... I'm feeling like a rotund kid waiting for the candy store to open.
Or you could just shave down the retention bracket like people normally do with the top popped.

OK... Some updates on this CPU.

I've actually built a system around this CPU with the following components:

Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-RH motherboard (GeForce 6100 chipset)
Coolermaster heat sink / cooling fan (the 9 dollar kind from Newegg :)
2 512 MB Crucial PC3200 DDR SDRAM DIMM's (8T / single sided modules)
80 gigabyte Seagate EIDE hard drive (8 MB cache, 7200 rpm)
NEC 3540 DVD burner (16X)
D-Link wireless ethernet card
Antec Solution 2650 case

It actually works.

The BIOS shows that the CPU is multiplier locked at 5.0. A shame, since I know this chip could easily handle more.

The CPU is running at 5.0 x 225 MHz, at 1125 MHz on air cooling, although the system seems to think that it's an Athlon64 2000+ CPU. I haven't tried to push it any further at this time, since I've been busy with other projects.

I haven't tried raising the voltage just yet, but I look forward to this.

Voltage, as measured by the utility provided by the Gigabyte CD, is at 0.95 volts. Sandra SIS soft erroneously reports it as 1.90 volts. For some funny reason, when using this board, Sandra always reports double the actual voltage when I try using a mobility CPU in this board, since it also reports my Athlon64 2800+ mobility CPU as drawing 2.7 volts.

Temperatures, just using the above Coolermaster heat sink / cooling fan, in combination with Arctic Ceramique, and the MSI copper shim, stays at 28 C. Nothing fancy about the case, although it does have decent air flow.

All in all? Not bad for a system put together with my spare parts, and a 5 dollar CPU. I'm still not sure what I'm going to use this system for just yet, but I'll figure that out later. Either that, or give it to my folks later on, when they have their 30th year anniversary.

Your going to need one hell of a FSB boost to get that chip over 2GHz...anybody know of any s754 motherboards capable of a 600MHz FSB? :p

Back