Athlon XP versus Athlon XP Mobile performance?

Lakitu

Limp Gawd
Ok, me and a person I know have been having a little dispute over whether a regular Athlon XP and Athlon XP Mobile processors perform the same. I am leaning towards that they perform the same at the same clock speeds, FSB, and whatnot, but he says the XP-M processors are a dulled-down version of the XP. An example he gave was that a 2.4 GHz mobile XP would be around the same as a 2.2GHz XP. He says "just like the P4Ms, their 1.6 ghz beat a P4 2.4" only vice versa. Can anyone prove him(preferably) or me(not preferred) wrong? :p

Thanks.

AXP-Mobile, atleat the 2200 and up now, are just low voltage Bartons. There is no physical difference between the cores.
If you make clock speed and FSB equal, they are in fact the same chip.

Well, there are T-Bred based mobiles and Barton based XPs (and vice-versa), so when comparing those two via PR numbers and such, there will be a difference (duh) due to cache amounts. But the mobiles people are generally talking about are identical to the Barton cores, so perform exactly the same. That is, T-Bred based XP-M = T-Bred based XP, Barton based XP-M = Barton XP. :)

I hope that isn't too confusing or overly informative. But essentially, XP/XP-M chips of the same core are identical, minus the PowerNow! technology. In any terms such an argument would be discussed, HE IS WRONG. Although I should mention the FSB does play a factor but that is irrelevant, both chips in the same desktop would perform the same at the same settings.

Lakitu said:
Ok, me and a person I know have been having a little dispute over whether a regular Athlon XP and Athlon XP Mobile processors perform the same. I am leaning towards that they perform the same at the same clock speeds, FSB, and whatnot, but he says the XP-M processors are a dulled-down version of the XP. An example he gave was that a 2.4 GHz mobile XP would be around the same as a 2.2GHz XP. He says "just like the P4Ms, their 1.6 ghz beat a P4 2.4" only vice versa. Can anyone prove him(preferably) or me(not preferred) wrong? :p

Thanks.

He has Pentium 4-M confused with Pentium-M, they are 2 TOTALLY different chips.

The Pentium-M 1.6 could be comparable to a P4 2.4.

For folding my Thorten 2.3Ghz(XP2200) does just as good if not better then your 2.2 Barton(XP3200)! I'm about to buy two more Thortens just to enjoy it more... It really all depends upon what you use your prefered cpu for. Sure bet a revised Thorten dual fsb 400 capable chipset could hold its own against the best right now... Hope someone makes a VIAK8T800 dual to prove it, like Iwill...

If you get the right stepping , you can end up with an awesome overclock- I have been to 2.7 ghz prime stable but very hot with air cooling. Until I go to water cooling, I'm very happy with 2.6 ghz @1.93 vcore, 42c idle 49c load.

Back