Athlon XP-M 2600+ + Abit NF7-S + What Heatsink?

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
im looking into buyin an Athlon XP-M 2600 and Abit NF7-S V2, and was looking for a good heatsink. I really like the Thermalrights, but im not sure of which one. im lookin at the SLK900A or SP-97 at newegg, but im not sure either one will fit. if anyone has any experience w/ these items together, or just has some suggestions, any would be appriciated. :)

Both will fit. But you need the special neo back plate to mount the SP97 on the NF7-S

I have a SLK900A and it's a fantastic cooler. Keeps my mobile idling around 34 C and loaded at 49 C at 2.77 GHz.

That's pretty damn good :cool:

The SP97 would beat it out by only a couple of degrees. It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay.

I got a NF7-S 2.0 and a SP-97 on it with a 92mm tornado. It fits fine, and comes with that backplate thing, so don't worry about that. The only thing is, if your PSU is right next to your motherboard(like really close to touching it) and you use a 92mm fan, you'll have to mod the fan clip for that side a little bit, but it's nothing to worry about.

thanx for the info. there is only about a 10$ difference. if they both work then i might opt for the SP97. is the neo backplate included? if not how much does it cost? while im askin, im gonna need a good GPU cooler. does the Zalman GPU cooler work really well? i forget the model number. and one last question. wats a good replacement for the NB chipset cooler on the mobo? ive heard a lot about it bein really crappy, and the last thing i need is a NB chipset goin out on me. i think that just about covers everything for the time being.

EDIT: nvm the back plate thing in this post. question answered while i was relpyin.

Im using the Alpha pal 8045 with a 80mm panaflo L1 fan on it.

room temp is 20c, cpu temp is 41c, mobo temp is 24c.

specs below for OC

I also have an Alpha with the stock Alpha included fan, and I cannot say enough good things about it for quiet effective cooling. Just remember: It needs to draw through and out the top, so make sure you put on the aluminum piece.

Also check out the Swiftech MCX-462V. It's a heavy son of a gun, but I also hear it is a phenominal cooler even with medium speed fans. Find it here:
Newegg

I just switched my A64 3000+ over to the Swifty MCX-64V and I really like it.

Lakitu said:
I got a NF7-S 2.0 and a SP-97 on it with a 92mm tornado. It fits fine, and comes with that backplate thing, so don't worry about that. The only thing is, if your PSU is right next to your motherboard(like really close to touching it) and you use a 92mm fan, you'll have to mod the fan clip for that side a little bit, but it's nothing to worry about.

ditto

Back