Athlon XP bottleneck?

Bootyquake

n00b
Hiya folks,

I have an Athlon XP 3200+ OC'd to 2420Mhz (rest of specs see sig) and a Gigabyte 6800GT. How badly do you think my CPU is throttling the performance of the card? I'm scoring 11500ish on 3dMark03, but am a greedy bastage and want more :)

Thanks in advance!

Bootyquake
Athlon XP 3200+ @2420Mhz
1GB Geil Value series @220Mhz
WD Raptor 74GB 10K RPM
Gigabyte 6800GT

I just upgraded from the same CPU in september to a 939 3800+ and the difference is quite impressive in some games. That athlon xp is certainly holding you back.

Yes it is a bottleneck for that card. How bad? I cant say, but it is definately a bottleneck.

That said I would bet you can play HL2 at 1600x1200 6xaa 16xaf everything on high and still get 70+fps without a problem, with 4-5 apps running in the background, so dont worry yourself about it too much lol

I'm still running an Athlon XP 3200+ with an XT PE. My rig still puts up very respectable numbers.

Davenow said:
Yes it is a bottleneck for that card. How bad? I cant say, but it is definately a bottleneck.

That said I would bet you can play HL2 at 1600x1200 6xaa 16xaf everything on high and still get 70+fps without a problem, with 4-5 apps running in the background, so dont worry yourself about it too much lol

How could he get 6xaa on a 6800GT?

My XP still gets the job done with no problem... I'll probalby uprade sometime next year tho.

How could he get 6xaa on a 6800GT?

He's a Radeon !!!!!! (no flame intended)

P.S. If you notice I have a Radeon in my sig but it is the only DX9 card I can afford at the moment damn it sux being poor. :( and damn do I need to build a new computer better start saving up.

Geforce cards don't have 6xAA, instead they have 8xS AA, but it's to slow for most new games, so I just use 4X AA.

i love my xp mobile and i refuse to upgrade until the dual core athlons become available and wide spread

i would say your xp is fine for now, and dont upgrade till some newer cpu's come out, which could in hand bump the prices down for some of the best cpu's that are curently out

likewise, see system in sig. running gt at stock or oc'd shows no difference except miniscule fps in doom3 demo and 3dmark. for example in nfsu2, 1280x1024 max details i get 25-35fps, gt overclocked or not. I cant replace this vid card for a MIN of 2 years, im low on money, but this cpu/mobo/cpu have served me well for 2 years now. i believe i need to upgrade soon, as agp is vanishing, so i have thre options right now: should i get a 3200+ winchester/msi neo2 and some high qual ram now(hope for 2.4ghz+ oc), wait for the venice core revision and hope agp boards are still abundant, or ride this system out another 2 years? would love to try some 1600x1200 games to push the gt, but monitor/cpu/ram wont touch it right now. thx for input, sorry if im hijacking a thread, but i felt it was on topic and am trying to condense things :)

sculelos said:
Geforce cards don't have 6xAA, instead they have 8xS AA, but it's to slow for most new games, so I just use 4X AA.
they have 6X aa, just gotta use riva tuner to get it, along with a host of other modes.
Thats whats cool about X800 xts- may not be much faster(if at all) but they can do higher AA modes with performance.

arnemetis said:
likewise, see system in sig. running gt at stock or oc'd shows no difference except miniscule fps in doom3 demo and 3dmark. for example in nfsu2, 1280x1024 max details i get 25-35fps, gt overclocked or not. I cant replace this vid card for a MIN of 2 years, im low on money, but this cpu/mobo/cpu have served me well for 2 years now. i believe i need to upgrade soon, as agp is vanishing, so i have thre options right now: should i get a 3200+ winchester/msi neo2 and some high qual ram now(hope for 2.4ghz+ oc), wait for the venice core revision and hope agp boards are still abundant, or ride this system out another 2 years? would love to try some 1600x1200 games to push the gt, but monitor/cpu/ram wont touch it right now. thx for input, sorry if im hijacking a thread, but i felt it was on topic and am trying to condense things :)

You know what I've been considering... going 754 as kind of a go-between. If I get a 754 board now, it won't be too expensive, and I can use the same RAM I am using now. And it's AGP, so I can still use my 9800 Pro.

And then, when it comes time to upgrade my old 9800 Pro, THEN I will go for a 939 system, with whatever processor is the best at that point, with a new PCI-express video card.

But then everyone says "don't get 754, it's outdated". Well, I think it would still work as a go-between.

unfortunately go-betwen doesnt really work, the price diff isnt significant enough to consider it. it must last two years, and ive decided i must do it, but im unclear if i should get a winchester now or wait for the venice core. will it be worth the wait? i wont have much time for fun on pc for a good 3 months now (college back in session) so I CAN wait....but would it be worthwhile? my gut tells me to wait still...

Back