Athlon Xp 3200+ Question

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
Not to long ago I built myself a cheap gaming rig using low end parts. Like a low end mobo value ram, etc. Only due to some debt issues at the time of the purchases I've made. Now that Im in the clear I've been really upping the quality of my parts. I've done just about everything except for one thing. Upgrade the CPU. Im still using an AMD XP 3000+ (333). I want to go to a 3200+ 400 but was stuck on the fact if it was worth the amount it cost for the performance gained. I did look up some reviews between the 2 & saw maybe a 5-10% performance differnece between the 2 which isn't to bad i guess. I always preferred actual user opinions however though. Like the OC'ing mostly, experiences between the 2 & good setups. just want to see if I could be convinced to go ahead & get it based on other users experiences with it =). Thx to all that view this thread.

-DarkLegacy

Oh, forgot to add. Should I consider a mobile XP? This CPU will be going on a Abit Nf7-S v2.0 .

my friend just got a mobile to add to his nf7-s and it is really good. He got it to 245fsb at 2.5ghz. He has 1gb ram with radeon9800pro256mb. Can play the latest games at high settings. Going to the new athlon64 stuff is good but it will cost a fortune. If you already have that motherboard then get the mobile. If you don't you might want to get the athlon64. Not sure about that either since next year they are going socket m2. Xps are still great, if you just need a cpu upgrade then just get that and wait it out until next year for a full blown upgrade. Thats what i am doing. :)

Yeah thats what im saying XD. I did consider going into an AMD 64 setup but even my sub par XP Setup gets the job done for most games. I figured why not push every ounce out of what I got now & then going into an AMD 64 setup later 05, early 06. Cus knowing me, If I was to go into the AMD 64 field. I would want to go straight into the skt 939 area with Pci-e instead of settling with an skt754 AMD 64 setup. Thats like going fowards & backwards at the same time when you look at it lol. I would rather take a huge leap rather than a small step. Probally by the time im ready to get my AMD 64, Im sure the options avaiable now for Pci-e setups will drop by half. I kinda choose my spots when I think the timing is perfect.

-DarkLegacy

if you have the money to spare, sell your parts make a new A64 rig

if not, use the money you would upgrade your cpu with and save that towards a rig (IE hide it from yourself and others keep saveing till you have like 800 bucks)

really youll see no visual diffrence in a 3000 to a 3200 xp

hell i game on a 2000xp with 9600 pro, it works just fine for me

btw what video card? maybe upgrade that.......

soulsaver_8229

sell 3000+ buy 3200+. Yes probably worth it pricewise. But timewise youll be back in 6 months wanting another upgrade.

3000+ venice athlon 64, and an Epox EP-9NDA3J nForce3 Ultra Athlon 64(FX) Skt939

would cost roughly $240, and if you dont mind overclocking you should be able to get no less than 2.2-4ghz out of it on stock cooling. even un overclocked it should be better than your xp rig

Wildace said:
3000+ venice athlon 64, and an Epox EP-9NDA3J nForce3 Ultra Athlon 64(FX) Skt939

would cost roughly $240, and if you dont mind overclocking you should be able to get no less than 2.2-4ghz out of it on stock cooling. even un overclocked it should be better than your xp rig

it would be far better

You wont notice any difference at all between your cheap mobo and value ram vs a good mobo and some special ram and 200mhz on the cpu, I hate to say it but you're just wasting your money upgrading an xp rig like that.

Why not just overclock your 3000+ to 3200+ speeds?

Don't get the 3200, if you do have good ram you will be able to get 200fsb out of the 3000 for some 3200 speeds, Saving your money is a wiser choice though.

Back