• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Athlon X2 worth folding?

Toconator

[H]ard DCOTM January 2026
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
880
Thru client upgrades I've just inherited two X2 systems: one an old S939 4400+ which will overclock slightly on an ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo and a newer AM2 7750 on an ASUS M2AVM with a failed RAID chipset but I think the IDE is still good for one old HDD. smp or standard CPU client? the SLI rig might be good for GPU instead, need to find more GPU's and then need beefier PSU as I was just planning on using some cheapo 400-450 watters...
 
I asked in another thread about folding with amd its a couple down you might want to look there for info
 
You could run the uniprocessor client on those machines if you don't mind the power consumption, but they aren't fast enough to run SMP units effectively.
 
Thanks Zero. That was my first choice although my C2D server folds smp and it's not much faster than the 7750 but FSB etc. are different and now that the uni's have a bonus maybe it's worthwhile. If I stumble across some 8800's or upgrade some of my other GPU's maybe something will 'trickle down' to the SLI mobo and I'll just GPU-fold there. Don't mind the power consumption at all as after I saw the wife thru school and she got a job I gave her the power and gas bills :D After all the years of coming home after nite shift to find the heat blasting, lights and TV/VCR/DVD players on, etc. I don't really care how high the power bill goes. Ha HA! funny how they're never left on anymore... These rigs do warm up my 'batcave' quite nicely in winter but when summer arrives I'll have to shut a few of the less efficient ones off or invest in a WAY bigger beer fridge!
 
Your C2D may not run at a much higher frequency than the Athlon X2, but it uses a more efficient and more powerful architecture. Even at the same speed, it would perform quite a bit better.
 
Thru client upgrades I've just inherited two X2 systems...
....as I was just planning on using some cheapo 400-450 watters...


The 4400 X2 chip can get you $80+ on ebay, if you can get 2-4gb of ram for it, you can get another $45-80. Use that for a used 920-930 intel system and run big adv.

I have some antec earthwatts (EA430- NIB) if you need PSU's.
 
that a8n32-sli mobo is worth another 80-90 on ebay, I sold one with its box and accessories for like 120$ not that long ago.
 
wow, I remember my FX55, A8N32-SLI and 2GB of G.Skill DDR500 only fetched $100...
 
The 4400 X2 chip can get you $80+ on ebay, if you can get 2-4gb of ram for it, you can get another $45-80. Use that for a used 920-930 intel system and run big adv.

I have some antec earthwatts (EA430- NIB) if you need PSU's.

[threadhi-jack] what are wanting for those psu's?[/threadhi-jack]
 
The 4400 X2 chip can get you $80+ on ebay, if you can get 2-4gb of ram for it, you can get another $45-80. Use that for a used 920-930 intel system and run big adv.

I have some antec earthwatts (EA430- NIB) if you need PSU's.

Hmm, I DO have 2x1 GB of HyperX 3200 DDR 2-3-2-6 with the heatspreaders on 'em, and only the USB/Game port and firewire plates and the I/O shield for accessories. If anyone wants all that with the A8N mobo and 4400 CPU I'm all ears. Hell I'll throw in a SB Audigy2 ZS too. Or trade for a Radeon 5770 or S775 Quad chip...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top