Athlon X2 4400+ Too Hot?

I recently built a system in a Lian Li V1100B+ case, using an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. So yes, it is inverted meaning the chipset is running hotter than normal because of the heatpipe. (around 45-46C at idle) However I have no reason to believe that this is dangerous and stability has been 100% since I built it.

Anyway, I've got an Athlon X2 4400+ with a ThermalRight SI-120 heat sink and the most powerful panaflo fan out there pushing 110+ CFM of air. (LOUD!) I would think, the motherboard being inverted or not, that this would put the CPU idle temps well below 30C, or at least below 35C.

However, my CPU idles at 42-43C, and after a couple of hours of BF2 which I assume is equivalent to "load" the temps are around 46-47C... So... it's not the worst temps out there, but it still bothers me that I paid all this money for this uber heat sink and ridiculously powerful fan, and my temps are still above some people using the stock heat sink and fan.

Yesterday I tried turning my whole case upside down to see how the temps would be affected because of the heat pipe. However during this "test" I had the side panel on the case removed, so these results are not entirely accurate. I didn't get to play a game for "hours" but I did run 3dMark06 which I assume would heat things up nicely and the CPU reached 41C by the time it was finished, the MB reaching 45C. So it seemed to be a bit cooler but not a HUGE difference. And again, the side panel was off during this test so the resulting temps are probably a bit cooler than they would be with it on.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am paranoid. I didn't read the AS5 installation guide and I just ended up covering the whole entire heat spreader(on the CPU) with it. I made sure it was a pretty thin layer though, spending about half an hour spreading it evenly around with a credit card. I then put the heat sink on, but didn't do the "twisting" motion as mentioned in the AS5 installation. And I made sure that all the clips were attached to the bracket properly.

I really don't want to re-do the heat sink/AS5 installation again, unless it is certain that it will lower my temps considerably. I don't think I did anything wrong really, but like I said before, I would think that an SI-120 + a Panaflo running at the full 110CFM+ would freeze this thing.

Thoughts/opinions on what to do? I appreciate any help.

Well, to give you some perspective, here were the results I had with a very similar setup:
Lian Li V1200B
Athlon X2 4400+

With the stock 4 heatpipe cooler, I was getting idle temperatures in the low forties and loads in the mid to high 50's. Chipset temps hovered between the 30's and 40's.

Now, with a Swiftech STORM on a 120.1 radiator I'm getting average idle temps of around 30C and load temps of around 40C. (Overclocked to 2600Mhz). Chipset temperatures suffered a few degrees but I'm using that fan Asus includes.

Unless you go to water I doubt you'll see much of any improvement. Air has it's limits, plus it's noisy as hell with such a aggressive setup! :p

i dont know i like the grain of rice and let the pressure of applying the HS spread it out that way it is realy thin. the only time i spread it out in a thin layer with a razor i know i used more than i needed to i just cleaned it off and did it the rice way.

Back