• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Athlon 64 Overclocking Issues

SynVisions

n00b
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
7
So I got an Athlon 64 3000+, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, and an eVGA 7800 GT - along with 2 x 256 mb and 1 x 512mb Corsair XMS memory from my previous computer. I also have a good thermalright heatsink with a 120mm fan. Anyway, I haven't had much luck overclocking the memory so I decided to start conservative. I went ahead and overclocked my system, left the video card at stock. After some messing around I set it at 290 x 8.5 for a processor speed of 2465MHz, CPU VID at 1.593v, and a 2:3 memory divider with the ram running at 193. When testing just how far I could push the FSB/HTT it seemed to be stable up at 310 so I figured 290 would be safe. The processor seemed to be ok up to about 2.5ish as well. Temps were fine, Prime95 ran for many hours without issue, same goes for memtest86.

Well anyway I started to get problems in games, the only games I play at the time are WoW and Battlefield 2. Basically what happens is every once in a while, the frequency varies quite a bit, the video just locks up but I can still hear the sound going on the background. I also get a decent amount of artificating. I figured the video card must just be bad because I have it running at stock. However when I run my entire system at stock I don't experience any problems, I even tried relaxing my memory timings big time to 2.5-4-4-8, and lowering the overclock quite a bit but that didn't help. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
 
Is the AGP Frequency locked?

Could be running at higher speed due to the overclocking.

Not sure if you can lock the AGP Frequency in your motherboard's BIOS.
 
What power supply are you using? OC'ing the system will put much more of a strain on your 12v, which could in turn hinder the 7800gt. Does the 3000+ really require nearly 1.6v for it to be stable at 2.5?

On the PCI-E there should be a setting in the bios for it, just make sure its set at 100, I dont' think any PCI-E boards have a problem with the bus not locking.

Also, it could be heat. The ambient temp in the case is going to be noticibly higher when running the system at a higher speed and that could adversely affect the 7800's stability. Try running without the side of your case on and see if that makes a difference.
 
gmkmay said:
What power supply are you using? OC'ing the system will put much more of a strain on your 12v, which could in turn hinder the 7800gt. Does the 3000+ really require nearly 1.6v for it to be stable at 2.5?

Antec TruePower 2.0 480W

It might be able to run with less but I figure a little extra voltage can't hurt, it could just make it run a bit hotter, and temps are fine. I also tried running at stock but at that voltage and I experienced no problems so I don't think that's it.

On the PCI-E there should be a setting in the bios for it, just make sure its set at 100, I dont' think any PCI-E boards have a problem with the bus not locking.

Yeah it's set to 100.

Also, it could be heat. The ambient temp in the case is going to be noticibly higher when running the system at a higher speed and that could adversely affect the 7800's stability. Try running without the side of your case on and see if that makes a difference.

I have been running with the case side off.
 
SynVisions said:
It's PCIe and it looks to be locked, is there any way I can double-check that?
usually clockgen does a pretty good job at telling you. if you bump up the htt/fsb, pci-e speed shouldn't move ;)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
usually clockgen does a pretty good job at telling you. if you bump up the htt/fsb, pci-e speed shouldn't move ;)

I couldn't get clockgen working. None of the ones on the site worked for me, when I googled around I found a generic nforce4 clockgen, but it crashed my computer when I tried to go past 260 HTT/FSB.
 
SynVisions said:
I couldn't get clockgen working. None of the ones on the site worked for me, when I googled around I found a generic nforce4 clockgen, but it crashed my computer when I tried to go past 260 HTT/FSB.
there is a clockgen on that website for for all nf4 boards ;)
also, i wouldn't make bumps of more than 10mhz at a time.
 
coolkishan said:
Your meant to get one thats right for your mobo not any random one:rolleyes:

:p

I did and it wouldn't allow me to change the clocks :rolleyes:

(cf)Eclipse said:
there is a clockgen on that website for for all nf4 boards ;)
also, i wouldn't make bumps of more than 10mhz at a time.

I might have made more than a 10mhz bump, I'll have to try that again.
 
Back
Top