athlon 64 mobile dtr

jgravance

Weaksauce
will a desktop replacement mobile athlon 64 work in a desktop motherboard? it is socket 754, so i figure it will work in a socket754 board. i have an epox 8kda3j motherboard.

Yea it'll work. Im 95% sure.... someone spot check me here. No reason it shouldnt, kinda like the mobile athlon XPs I beleive.

It will depend on the motherboard used. For best results, grab the latest and greatest BIOS from the respective mobo manufacturer.

A secondary concern is the heatsink mount. There are only a couple heatsinks that are "compatible" with the DTR chips because they lack the integrated heat spreader. A forum search here (from last October/November 04) should give you some compatible models of heatsinks to choose from. The Stock AMD heatsinks will not work, they have too much clearance.

i have a scythe ncu-2005 heatsink, and an epox 8kda3j motherboard, are either of these compatible with a DTR cpu?

^^^^^ what Bullitt said, with some extras. I have a Thermalright XP-90cu mounted to the 4000-M in my sig like normal and no problems. Some have filed down the mount to account for the thickness of the heatspreader not being there. I never have on 3 different mobiles I've used and cooling is fine, but use extra care nonetheless

so toonage, you have gotten 3 mobiles to work on desktop boards? what mobo do you use, and what cpus were they?

epox i have heard they will with latest or modded bios if you want to spend the money DFI UT 250 will right out of the box i had a semperon mobile 3100 also my friend wanted me to test his dtr 3000

i just ordered a si-97a for my newark. the package includes a copper shim for the top of the processor to distribute the wait of the heatsink evenly over the surface. there are instances where incorrect mounting could crack/chip/damage the core. just be cautious when mounting onto a lidless processor. the dfi 250 should would work just fine. g/l

Unfortunately, I don't think that the Epox will work with a manufacturer BIOS. Epox explicitly states that they do not support mobiles. Some have reported getting mobiles to work, but I would take those claims with a grain of salt.

I haven't been keeping tabs on your thread concerning your processor troubles for a while.. I take it that the one you bought on Ebay is dead?

Back