Athlon 64 4000+ good overclocker?

Budzman

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I've narrowed it down to the 4000+ or a 3800+ rev E.

I use a water cooled setup and was wondering which of these two chips would give me better results overclocking. Anyone have good results with the 4000+ ?

they'll probably oc to the same average levels.. as they're rated for the same speed ;)
and no, i haven't seen any useful results yet. not many people are buying the high end cpu's

only difference is cache right?
smaller cache usually means a slightly higher OC, but every CPU is different

Steel Chicken said:
only difference is cache right?
smaller cache usually means a slightly higher OC, but every CPU is different

Less caches does tend to mean slightly highers OCs, but only small ammounts at best from what ive seen, and the less cache means you need to overclock more to get the same performance anyway :p. I'd say get the 4000+.

DarkBahamut said:
Less caches does tend to mean slightly highers OCs, but only small ammounts at best from what ive seen, and the less cache means you need to overclock more to get the same performance anyway :p. I'd say get the 4000+.

I agree, esp with 754. Which is why I have 754-3700 @ 2.65...which makes it a what, a PR3900?

:)

I've had mine running at 3Ghz (H2O and cold air from window) and the processor held up splendidly, but I can't seem to get this Corsair/DFI issue fully worked out. I WILL say that at 2.5Ghz it "feels" 10x faster than my 3200+ at the same exact other settings (take one out- drop the other in)- the 4000+ runs a lot better, and at a lower voltage to get to the speed. Of course, YMMV, but I haven't seen a whole lot of people running them. I just wanted the ability to run 4x512- I didn't get it :(

I just wanted the ability to run 4x512- I didn't get it

Your saying the 4000+ with a DFI board wont run 512mb x4?

I'm getting the DFI SLI board and I have Geil DDR500 512x4 ram leftover from my pentium board that I was planning on using.

Kil4Thril said:
I WILL say that at 2.5Ghz it "feels" 10x faster than my 3200+ at the same exact other settings (take one out- drop the other in)- the 4000+ runs a lot better
maybe because of the extra cache? ;)

Budzman, it's a known issue with the memory controller on the a64 that 4 sticks of ram doesn't work too well. normally you'll have to drop to 2T to get it to boot/run with any reliability. the new revE cores are supposed to help fix this, but i think it'll be a hit or miss thing :(

So would running at 2T gimp you or would it not make much of a difference.

I don't know too much about the A64's, been using a P4 for the past year or so.

Budzman said:
So would running at 2T gimp you or would it not make much of a difference.
2T typically reduces ram performance about 10%, but i've been noticing something weird going on with my dfi and 2T.. but then again, i managed to get 3120mb/s at 200mhz with tight timings, which is insanely high. i'll have to do more testing at a later date, but for now, 2T reduces performance around 2-3% typically, sometimes less, sometimes more

I have the option of selling my 4 sticks of 512 to get 2 sticks of 1gb.

Would the 2 x 1gb sticks work no problem and at 1T ?

Back