Athlon 64 3500+: Would a 8800 GTS have better performance than a X1900XT?

smartins

n00b
I currently have a Radeon X1900XT 512 MB running on a system with a Athlon 64 3500+ (see my signature the rest of the specs).

Would changing to a 8800 GTS 320 MB improve general gaming performance or will my CPU be the limiting part?

I have the possibility of selling the X1900XT and get a 8800 GTS 320 MB but was wondering if my CPU would limit the performance of the 8800 GTS and not give out much more "juice" than my current x1900xt.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Steven

Of course it will be faster, despite the processor's relative weakness to the GTS.

actually looking at the cpu it should be too much of a bottleneck since u oced it. get the GTS you will not look back.

I also have a 3500+ and it is a bottleneck to me now with my X1900XT. I remember reading that the 8800s are very CPU dependent, so I would goto the futuremark website and see if you can find some comparisons. I know I've see others with Core2 Duos & X1900XTs get around 2000 more on 3Dmark06 than I do and our setup is similar.

I also have a 3500+ and it is a bottleneck to me now with my X1900XT. I remember reading that the 8800s are very CPU dependent, so I would goto the futuremark website and see if you can find some comparisons. I know I've see others with Core2 Duos & X1900XTs get around 2000 more on 3Dmark06 than I do and our setup is similar.

This is because the CPU score is factored in. Turn off those tests on both for just GPU tests and you'll find similar results. You just get a much lower CPU score than the C2D owner. Through an X2 into your AMD system and you'll get a much needed CPU boost. Sure the C2D will still be faster, but the X2 is nothing to laugh at.

This is because the CPU score is factored in. Turn off those tests on both for just GPU tests and you'll find similar results. You just get a much lower CPU score than the C2D owner. Through an X2 into your AMD system and you'll get a much needed CPU boost. Sure the C2D will still be faster, but the X2 is nothing to laugh at.

Exactly.
If you are running an x2 +3800 etc, you really dont need to upgrade. Your processor is still a mainstream cpu and will work great. The only reason to upgrade is if you want to be absolutly cutting edge and want a few extra frames in games. Its like upgrading videocards when all you play is WOW and your current system pulls +60fps constantly... the only difference is when you see your frames, the number will be higher.

I have a friend with a core2 6600 and his CPU score is 1150 points higher so I was thinking the other 850 or so was from my CPU bottleneck.

Yeah in real world stuff depending on your resolution and stuff there won't be much difference. However in synthetic benchmarks going from a [email protected] to a e4300@3ghz gave me 4000 points in 3dmark06

since 90% or more of all games dont natively support dual core, the ingame performance you will not notice, i bought a 8800gts yesterday (upgraded from 850xt pe) and god dam its quick. tho the vista drivers suck.

What kind of PSU do you need for a 8800 GTS? I have a 350w Antec, don't know if that's enough.

it says a min of 450watt psu, tho i went with a 600watt psu, each device you attached to your system draws some power (even usb.) i run 5 hdds in my rig so each drive pulls on average 35 watts power, so theres 175watts there, my vid under full load hits close to or just past 200 watts, so it doesnt take long these days to hit high power demands, that is why i upgraded my rig from a d940 to a e6400 (they use less power)

If ya can afford it, and it is on fire sale right now. The top of the line Socket939 cpu the FX-60 can be had for $300+

Back