Athlon 64 173fsb vs 200fsb

kmanuel

Weaksauce
I have an a64 running 2.6 with a fsb a 173 (ddr 266 -nice overclock :) ). I'm thinking of getting a gigs of pc3200 ram. But before I waste $93, I would like to know in REAL world performance (mostly gaming) will I see any difference (more FPS)?

Help.. cause I don't won't to lose $93 and even I a return it to newegg, those bastards charge a restocking fee.

176fsb? I don't know what you're doing, but it sounds like you are doing something wrong.

You can run memory dividers, and you should never ever run your HT bus lower than 200 otherwise you are underclocking your processor.

Memory bandwidth will deffinetly help you quite a bit.

And what are you going to buy with $90, 512MB of decent pc3200 is only $65 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-026&depa=0

he said he's running at 2.6.. and most boards won't go under 200mhz htt..

and yeah, going for a gig of pc3200 should help out a good amount.. probably 2-5% for most things. not noticable, but it's there.

(cf)Eclipse said:

and yeah, going for a gig of pc3200 should help out a good amount.. probably 2-5% for most things. not noticable, but it's there.

Well, going by what you said.. It ain't worth much going to pc3200.. I mean, if you're not gonna see any difference (you only have some lame braggin rights - pc 3200 ye ha) theres not point of spending more money... It's like going from an a64 3200 to a64 3300 (2.3ghz)

well if it's s754, the extra bandwidth would help cause i'm sure the core is starting to want more than the memory can give at those speeds.. with dual channel, i think the bandwidth is there and the real performance benefit would be from the decreased latency of higher speed ram at 2-2-2

(cf)Eclipse said:

My soltek can do 100HTT :)

It's so great at that speed. 1.83 FPS in CS:S stress test when the cpu is at 4x100.

Back