• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATH-AD700 & Xonar Essence ST Ordered

todlerix

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
2,244
I'm your typical gamer with cheap speakers/headphones with onboard sound, UNTIL NOW. Will follow up once stuff arrives.

Anyone got any tidbits/caveats to mention?
 
I am currently running that exact setup. GREAT choice. Enjoy and please relate your experiences when you can.

Cheers
 
Should be here tomorrow, I did the free trial of Amazon Prime, ordered 4 items in total then immediately disabled auto renewal. Great program if you order a lot from amazon, however I don't.
 
Now you'll have cheap headphones and a relatively expensive soundcard :D

I think the essence is way overkill for the ad700s, but you can always get better headphones later.
 
I have an Essence ST, used to use it with HD280s and it was big upgrade over on board. Have since upgraded to HD650s and still on the Essence ST. Great soundcard. I dont use any of the Dolby Headphone stuff even in games. Others may not agree, but for me the sound of good stereo is so much more immersive than anything else.

I can't think of any tips for the ST. Oh, one thing is to make sure you set the "Audio Channel" correctly for your source. If playing music, 2 channels, if playing movies and games use 6 or 8 channels. Its annoying flipping back and forth, but you can definitely hear the difference.
 
nice pairing. i would not necessarily call it overkill. cheaper headphone amps can be used, but a decent quality amp like on the xonar will have little distortion on low impedance hp's like the ad700's. now he also has the ability to upgrade the headphones if he decides to get more into head-fi.

let us know what you think. the ad700's tend to give a better experience in just good old stereo with the angled drivers, but you'll want to try dolby headphone as well.
 
the AD700s scale relatively poorly with amplification. so it's slightly overkill if you're under a budget.
 
the AD700s scale relatively poorly with amplification. so it's slightly overkill if you're under a budget.

but will benefit with less noise, which many low quality amps shell out a lot of at low impedance....
 
the AD700s scale relatively poorly with amplification. so it's slightly overkill if you're under a budget.

money isn't really an issue as long as I feel its worth the value I'm paying for it.
 
I had a pair of Sennheisers and a Xonar Essence STX. The sound was great but it wasn't worth the $250+ I spent on them. Newer motherboards like my R3E has good onboard sound and is more than sufficient for gaming. I won't buy a Creative product anymore so it Xonar or bust. A quality pair of cans would do just fine for most users.
 
So I received it just about 30 minutes ago, I take it Dolby Headphone is the game changer in all this?

Also I didn't see an impedance setting. (Thats not Normal Gain vs High Gain, is it?)

Sounds amazing. After I finish this movie I'll try a game or 5.
 
So I received it just about 30 minutes ago, I take it Dolby Headphone is the game changer in all this?

Also I didn't see an impedance setting. (Thats not Normal Gain vs High Gain, is it?)

Sounds amazing. After I finish this movie I'll try a game or 5.

dolby headphone is pretty billy bad ass for movies and single player gaming. i do prefer cmss-3d for online multi, but dolby headphone is great too.
 
This thread sounds interesting to me. Please update your experience with games how nicely the surround sound works with this card. I have been interested in trying the Xonar Essence STX but I'm not sure it would be worth it over my current SoundBlaster Audigy & kX Audio drivers which has amazingly working pseudo surround sound, can very accurately tell where enemies are wandering around based on noise, in L4D I was able to kill zombies hiding in forests behind trees based on where the noise came from or if they camped around a wall/corner so could shoot them through the walls etc :D and works just as good for UT3 to be able to tell where the enemies are (above, under, on the other side of the wall etc.). I Don't expect this Xonar Essence STX to provide better surround sound gaming experience but I'd gladly maximize the music listening enjoyment too.
 
This thread sounds interesting to me. Please update your experience with games how nicely the surround sound works with this card. I have been interested in trying the Xonar Essence STX but I'm not sure it would be worth it over my current SoundBlaster Audigy & kX Audio drivers which has amazingly working pseudo surround sound, can very accurately tell where enemies are wandering around based on noise, in L4D I was able to kill zombies hiding in forests behind trees based on where the noise came from or if they camped around a wall/corner so could shoot them through the walls etc :D and works just as good for UT3 to be able to tell where the enemies are (above, under, on the other side of the wall etc.). I Don't expect this Xonar Essence STX to provide better surround sound gaming experience but I'd gladly maximize the music listening enjoyment too.

I can't give you an informed opinion, but so far the Dolby Headphone feature is pretty much all I use and its epic.
 
I can't give you an informed opinion, but so far the Dolby Headphone feature is pretty much all I use and its epic.

I can't stand Dolby Headphone myself, everything sounds fake and hollow through it. Used it for about 10 minutes in some game and then turned it off, and about 1 minute in a movie before deciding I didn't like it :p

Anywho, the impedance setting is on the "main" page of Xonar Audio Center, the 2nd of the 2 blue buttons next to the "Analog Out" drop down menu.
 
I can't stand Dolby Headphone myself, everything sounds fake and hollow through it. Used it for about 10 minutes in some game and then turned it off, and about 1 minute in a movie before deciding I didn't like it :p

Anywho, the impedance setting is on the "main" page of Xonar Audio Center, the 2nd of the 2 blue buttons next to the "Analog Out" drop down menu.

123xx.png


http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/567089b73c33056f/index.html/

Seems I should just leave it on normal then?
 
dolby headphone is pretty billy bad ass for movies and single player gaming. i do prefer cmss-3d for online multi, but dolby headphone is great too.

What does cmss-3d do differently than Dolby Headphone? I have an Astro Mixamp which does Dolby Headphone so I'm curious.
 
What does cmss-3d do differently than Dolby Headphone? I have an Astro Mixamp which does Dolby Headphone so I'm curious.

IMHO... cmss-3d is simply more accurate for locating an enemy while gaming. dolby headphone does a great job of creating a unique surround environment that is cool for movies and single player gaming.

i've been closely comparing the two for a long time now. with cmss-3d i turn macro fx to auto and elevation filter to on and sometimes i am absolutely blown away by just how precise i've been able to locate enemies. i never get that with dolby headphone. it's always a cool effect for immersion, but i'm sometimes never quite sure where an enemies sound is coming from.

the mixamp does kick ass though. for being able to drive headphones 250ohm and less, you can use it on consoles and pc, the sound quality is totally decent. for the price, it's a great piece of hardware.

i could totally sell mine now but have to admit i'll have a hell of a time doing it. i might even keep it for my console gaming.
 
Back
Top