• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATH-A700 plus old harmon/kardon amp = big difference!

TheBeelzebub

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
371
I always read that the headphones I bought, the ATH-A700 ART monitor headphones didn't benefit much from an amp, and that dedicated sound cards provided enough power. I've used these headphones for a few years now with both my mystique 7.1 gold with upgraded OPAMPS and my creative x-fi xtrememusic. I've run them always straight to the headphones. I've tried using the headphone output on my old 5.1 Aiwa receiver while using the PCM digital connection from my auzentech mystique 7.1, but it never sounded any better and there was too much hiss/white noise from the amp.

Recently, Con Edison(electric company in NYC) decided they would lower the electricity, which can damage electronics. Unfortunately, my trusty AIWA receiver died from this. Needing an amp, I remembered my dad had a harmon/kardon hk385i stereo amplifier in a closet. I ran the analog output through a heavy duty extension cable so I could easily unplug the amp and run direct to my headphones. After seeing that my speakers sounded good, I decided to be lazy and plug my headphones into the amps headphone jack. I could not believe how much better the bass got. There is just so much more power now. Even at low volumes, the bass is sooo much better. I'm now using the amp all the time lol.

Is this strange? Is it the amp? I know the amp is a good quality, so maybe that is making a difference? I'd like some input. Thanks!
 
There is no substitute for a good power amp/good amp powersupply. I had this same situation happen with a set of Sony floorstanding speakers. I hated how they sounded hooked up to my Sony HTIAB reciever so I gave them to a freind along with my dad's old analog Yamaha reciever (which I told him was a loan). Plugged the same speakers in and bam all of a sudden there was bass and treble and things I never heard when hooked up to my crappy Sony reciever.

It was all due to the powersupply and steady current that the Yamaha was able to generate to the speakers.
 
Back
Top