ATCS-840 Black Finish issue

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, i bought a black ATCS-840 about two weeks ago, and I'm really concenred about the quality of the "paint".

after initially putting everything together there were quite a finger prints, so i wanted ot clean it.

I used a damp (water) lint free gente towel.

and this is the result everytime
img1257w.jpg

is the finish on ATCS-840 so horrible that it comes off with water?

First time I heard about this.

Well I just read the manual myself and there's no mention of it. Was it hot/warm water?

I usually use a soft dry cloth to rub out fingerprints. I've always been leery of using water or other chemicals on my PC case.

Last edited:
Is there any discoloration in the area you tried to clean?

Well, I remember that they usually start with a silver case and then turn it black. I'm not sure of the process of how it's done. These cases could be originally silver.

case in some parts seem "grey"

just for clarification, i didn't rub it hard, just gentle wipe.

I thought those cases were anodized :confused:

Yeah, typically aluminum in any other color than silver is anodized instead of painted for this very reason. Regardless, this doesn't bode well for CoolerMaster (or you, unfortunately). One more reason to go Lian Li? ;)

considering getting LIAN LI PC-A70F now. are lian-li cases anodized?

Last edited:
hmm, metal dust. lets assume that it could be that.

how can metal dust still be on?

after cutting, i hope they could od some cleaning, then it should have been colored, then it should have been anodized

how can metal dust still be on

i have reptiles in the house, in black anodized aluminum cases that are pressure washed every week. and color is not comming off.

Yeah, typically aluminum in any other color than silver is anodized instead of painted for this very reason.
After anodizing and possible dyeing porous surface must be sealed so that's probably where the problem is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing#Sealing

considering getting LIAN LI PC-A70F now. are lian-li cases anodized?
Of course. Why would they use paint when anodizing embeds dye into surface of metal making it more durable than simple paint without extra work.

I have had no issues like that with my ATCS. I have been using a damp microfiber cloth to wipe away finger prints and dust.

same towel (other side), wiped front cover again
I don't have to wipe it that often, this is more of a test, since knowing what happens.

img1258t.jpg

Definitely something wrong in there...
Unless fingerprints are extremely dirty. :p

haha, there were no fingerprints that time. it was more of a test wipe to see if it still happens

Can anyone else with the ATCS 840 besides patriot71 test and share their results. I was planning on snatching up an 840 on Boxing Day, hopefully this issue is specific to nekrosoft13's chassis. It would be nice to hear a few reports confirming that this is an isolated QC problem with one specific case and not a build issue effecting the entire line.

btw few days ago i returned the case to the store, i asked the manager to open two other boxes they had in the store.

those two boxes also had the same issue of paint comming off with wet paper towel. There could be a batch of these horrible cases on the market.

There could be a batch of these horrible cases on the market.
As problem seems to be in failure during one stage of manufacturing process it would be very mprobable for problem to occur only in one sample.
No doubt more than one part is processed at once so that should give lower number of cases with this problem.

Mine does not have this problem, and I used chemicals, sort of. Cleaning wipes for cell phones

This is very odd. I also have a black ATCS 840 case. I purchased 2 of these then returned one because I changed my plans. I wiped them woth with wet towels and no such problem what so ever.

Back