Atari CEO Confirms New Game Console

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Atari is back in the hardware business. Last week, a new product called the Ataribox was teased but met with skepticism by some who thought it was just a prank. However, company CEO Fred Chesnais has confirmed that new hardware does exist. Many suspect the new console, featuring wood-grain siding like the original, will mimic Nintendo’s NES Classic Edition and cash in on the popularity of retro games.

Chesnais declined to describe a lot of details about the console. But he said it is based on PC technology. He said Atari is still working on the design and will reveal it at a later date. Chesnais said that Atari’s revival is well under way. Atari filed for bankruptcy protection in 2013, but Chesnais bought it and pledged to make it great again. The company is now profitable, and it is engaged in making mobile games. It is licensing its brands more widely, such as licensing its Atari name for the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 movie.

retro atari games?

oh please put ET on.

really cement and bury yourself with the crappy idea this is.

The problem is you can still find 2600's at many garage sales / Craigslist with a ton of game for super cheap. And most of those games were not...... Good?

I liked megalomania, but I can't think of any other 2600 games that were not better on another console.

In case any of you old timers haven't seen...check out Donkey Kong VCS or the Pac Man 4k games over at Atari Age for the 2600 VCS. Donkey Kong VCS is an absolutely amazing example of chasing the beam on the 2600.

How many times has this company been burned to the ground only for somebody to think "Theres a brand worth investing in" and started it up again? I remember when they had a a fun little D&D based online game.. think it was 'Heroes of Neverwinter'.. one day they just up and shut it down on the players. Seems Farmville was making a killing in the micropayment market and Atari was going to go that route. They died less then a year later....

Atari forgot that most of the games on the 2600 were kinda crappy and are so hopelessly outdated that nobody will have any interest in them. At least the NES has interesting, memorable story and graphics. The atari system....nobody wants that, not even people who grew up on atari.

I love my atari flashback consoles. I had my (at the time 5 year old cousin and 7 year old niece) play it and they were on it for hours. Just because most of the games were 1v1 games . It honestly felt pretty cool watching them enjoy the same things I did at the same age.

Because.....

"Atari
is a corporate and brand name owned by several entities since its inception in 1972, currently by Atari Interactive, a subsidiary of the French publisher Atari....."

.....none of this really matters. It's just about the name and IP rights. Don't get me wrong, a retro box would appeal to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari

Atari forgot that most of the games on the 2600 were kinda crappy and are so hopelessly outdated that nobody will have any interest in them. At least the NES has interesting, memorable story and graphics. The atari system....nobody wants that, not even people who grew up on atari.

Combat is amazing.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo... if anything we need one less console on the market, and have Nintendo give up and start offering games for the Xbox, Playstation, and PC. I'd love to play some Nintendo games on my HTPC.

They already did re-release old atari games, similar to the NES classic.. they did it first too. For years you could buy a Joystick, had a bunch of games built in, and plugged right into a TV. Might not have been hdmi, but it was the same idea as the nes classic. I think there are ones still on the shelf at target with 100+ games in them. No one cares, 2600 games were mostly crappy. Only nostalgic games they might have are pacman, asteroids, pitfall, maybe 5 ish other games. And really even those aren't that good.

They already did this with old atari games, no one cared...

But I guess it can't hurt to try and ride the hype..

Joust, Pitfall , Chopper Command & Xevious are really the only games I would be interested in. But hey it would be cool to have a system like the NES Classic......

only question is, will we be able to get our hands on them at a decent price. I'm sure the scalpers are already foaming at the mouth.

How about a hybrid of "ET" and "Dig Dug?"

Ohhh, Dig Dug.. I played the crap out of that game.

When I got rid of my 2600 when I was about 16, I had almost 100 games for it. There were a decent amount of good games, but a lot were also total trash.

Now, the consoles they should bring back:
TurboGrafx 16 / TurboDuo
Sega Dreamcast

Those were the absolute in underrated systems and two of the consoles I will most likely never get rid of.

I had a 2600 when I was a kid. TBH, I don't really miss any of the games. Yars Revenge and Star Command were kind of cool - but that said, I don't know if I'd replay them now. I have these available to me on my RetroPI set up and haven't spent much time playing any of the old games.
Maybe if they had some of the newer console systems - played Rampart on my Pi (but can't remember if it was SNES or Atari...) Shrugs.

I'm really surprised SEGA has not tried the console market again. Seems their game publishing business is doing well.

If it ran Atari 7800 games... I might be interested....

2600 games (other than Raiders of the Lost Ark) just didn't interest me much.

Ohhh, Dig Dug.. I played the crap out of that game.

When I got rid of my 2600 when I was about 16, I had almost 100 games for it. There were a decent amount of good games, but a lot were also total trash.

Now, the consoles they should bring back:
TurboGrafx 16 / TurboDuo
Sega Dreamcast

Those were the absolute in underrated systems and two of the consoles I will most likely never get rid of.
Neo Geo...

I still have a 2600 and about 70 games for it. Don't need to rebuy them. As for a new console... why bother. At this point they are hoping that the name is going to mean something but it won't. Trying to jump into the current market will be suicide from the start. A retro system I can see, but an entirely new current generation system that is crazy.

Back