AT8 vs AT8 32X

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
I've pretty much decided on getting an Abit AT8 as with the new bios it seems to get stellar performance reviews and seems to be quite stable. So Im searching around and I see that there are two versions; the AT8 and the AT8 32X. The only major difference that I can see is that the AT8 32X supports SLI in two full 16x channels whereas the old one appears to only support SLI in 2 8x channels. So my question for you is, does that performance benefit really make enough difference to justify the 70 dollars more that it costs? Also, Abits website says the 32X supports ECC memory, however it doesnt list support for non-ECC memory. Anybody know for sure if this board supports non-ECC memory?

Not yet. A GF7900 can't saturate an 8 pci-e slot. Next gen cards might, but since the am2 socket will maen you'll need a new mobo for your next upgrade anyway I don't see a reason to pay extra for SLI32.

DanNeely said:
Not yet. A GF7900 can't saturate an 8 pci-e slot. Next gen cards might, but since the am2 socket will maen you'll need a new mobo for your next upgrade anyway I don't see a reason to pay extra for SLI32.

Good to know... thank you for the quick response.

Here is another question...

Do ATI chipset mobos support SLI/Crossfire with nvidia graphics cards? Sorry for the newb questions... ive been out of the market for quite some time.

I dont think he realized we are talking about an ATi based board here. Ati boards only support corssfire just like NV only does SLI. I'd be tempted to pay extra to get the second gen AMD - ATi chipset. Less kinks. I think if you're looking for a single card solution and dont want to spend a lot on a board you might consider a plain NF4 Ultra.

texuspete00 said:
I dont think he realized we are talking about an ATi based board here. Ati boards only support corssfire just like NV only does SLI. I'd be tempted to pay extra to get the second gen AMD - ATi chipset. Less kinks. I think if you're looking for a single card solution and dont want to spend a lot on a board you might consider a plain NF4 Ultra.

I plan to go SLI at some point... I can only afford one video card at the moment however.

Ok, so in that case you don't need to pay extra for a "more mature" chipset. I ponied up the money for a 32x board rather than deal with ATi's first AMD chipset. You could get away with the normal Nv 16x, which goes to dual 8x mode (essentially no lose in performance), in SLI. You don't want an AT8 then. Again, that is ATi and crossfire.

texuspete00 said:
Ok, so in that case you don't need to pay extra for a "more mature" chipset. I ponied up the money for a 32x board rather than deal with ATi's first AMD chipset. You could get away with the normal Nv 16x, which goes to dual 8x mode (essentially no lose in performance), in SLI. You don't want an AT8 then. Again, that is ATi and crossfire.

I think Im just going to go the Nvidia route... Im looking at this combo. In the interest of a little bit less fan noise. When I go SLI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813136158
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814125025

What do you all think?

CokeFiend said:
I think Im just going to go the Nvidia route... Im looking at this combo. In the interest of a little bit less fan noise. When I go SLI
If noise is a consideration why not get an Abit KN8 SLI or AN8 SLI (both about $100 at Newegg)?
Just had a look & the AN8 SLI is on special - $90 & free shipping!

btw don't forget the importance of a good PSU particularly if going SLI.

Back