AT&T U-Verse with 3rd party router

Just got U-Verse High Speed 10mbps/1mbps. However it came with a 2wire 3600HGV router/modem combo but I prefer my old apple airport + modem setup. I looked around the 2wire's GUI and it didn't have anything for Bridge Mode like other gateways I use to have. How are you setting up your U-verse to use standalone router?

I have a bunch of sites with Uverse and from all of the information that I've gotten, AT&T stopped using modems that allowed for Bridge mode. I can't remember if the 2wire supports it or not, but all of the sites I have just hand off a private IP to my router behind it :(

I set my pFsense box to use DMZ passthrough and then have a DD-WRT AP connected to that. The only issue I've encountered so far is that I can no longer access the RG from behind the pFsense box.

They did that to stop home users from running businesses on home accounts.

If you get UV small business they will give you a bridgeable combo box.

I set my pFsense box to use DMZ passthrough and then have a DD-WRT AP connected to that. The only issue I've encountered so far is that I can no longer access the RG from behind the pFsense box.

You should be able to if you program a route to the RG and a static route from the RG to the PFsens.

But arent you kind of double nat'ing in your setup which is very difficult to operate servers on.

I JUST figure out how to do this on FiOS. Think it's damn near impossible on Uverse consumer.

I know what you mean. The 2wire interface on my U-Verse box is jacked up but I eventually got use to it and it does everything I need. I remember last year upgrading the firmware and it deleted all my custom port forwards and broke many of the links in the GUI... I deal with it cause I don't want two boxes running...

I discovered the DMZplus setup on it and it worked. Whats the difference between this and normal bridge mode? Any problems I might encounter?

Do a search for U-Verse and the 2Wire gateway in this forum...there are a few threads on it where I've replied in good detail on the DMZ plus mode....have done plenty of setups with it and my own router (or clients own router) getting the public IP address and port forwarding and etc etc etc.

I second YeOldeStonecat's post. I've got my Untangle box sitting behind my Uverse (2wire) 3801HGV. The Untangle box is in DMZ mode in the 2wire config and gets a public IP. I can even access the 2wire config from behind my Untangle box.

I am not sure about the 2Wire, I have Uverse with an NVG510 (which is a genuine certified POS). Turn off all firewall settings and use IP Passthrough -- Allocation mode Passthrough, Mode DHCPS fixed, and enter the mac address of the router you want to use. I have it working with pfsense as a router.

It also solves another problem, letting you set your own DNS servers for the entire network. AT&T's constantly time out (at least on Uverse with an NVG510) and they refuse to acknowledge the problem and correct with a firmware update.

Back