at startup i get 2 options to start windows xp... help thanks.

Journier

[H]ard|Gawd
at start up after post it will bring up 2 options.

Start up windows xp professional
start up windows.

If I click start up windows xp professional it boots right into windows fine..
If hit enter on the windows option it brings me to a dos prompt..... not what i want...

I have no idea why it is doing this, I just reinstalled windows xp with my new system...

pentium 4 3.0c
865G mobo.
ti 4200 vid card..

Will i have to reinstall again?

after i saw it doing this last time i reinstalled... again... and it brought up the same window after i formatted and reinstalled..

I dont exactly do windows installations all the time... but i do go through dos to format my hard drive and such... is this what is doing this?

If so how do I NOT do it the way I am doing it...

Its not so much that I have to fix this.. its just annoying to see it pop up every time i boot.

All i install is windows xp..

Edit the boot.ini file on your C drive to remove the second windows option.. but be careful if you delete the wrong one your system will not boot.

Just boot the XP cd and at some point it will give you the option to partition and format your disks. There is no need to do it through dos. You can remove the entry from the boot menu by editing the boot.ini file in the root of the drive, but I 'm not sure that a reinstall wouldn't be a better idea

ok. how would i exactly get to the boot.ini file? im not exactly a technology master.

thanks. :)

Browse to your C drive then go to tools, folder options then the view tab and select show hidden files and folders. You then can open the boot.ini file with notepad. I'm not using winXP so the directions may be a little different..

edit prob should show you a sample boot.ini

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Remove the line after [operating systems] that doesn't say windows XP pro

Haha screw editing the Boot.INI (that's one way to do it, but why?)

Right click my Computer
Properties
Advanced
Startup and Recovery
Settings
Under "default operating system" choose your XP
Uncheck the "time to diaply list of operating systems"

Done.

Another way to fix it is to boot into recovery console and give it this command.

bootcfg /rebuild

That will make recovery look for all installed OS's and rebuild the boot.ini file.

Back