At least one developer still loves PC gaming

TheGooch69

Gawd
Quote from SOE President,

I keep reading all this doom and gloom. It's the same guys that have been telling us for years that mainframes are doomed. If you just look at the actual facts on the ground, World of Warcraft – and I have to give props to our competition here – it sat on top of the PC charts for three years now. At some point, and everybody keeps talking about this, but they're just not realizing that a lot of people's dollars are going into these online games now and a lot of them you can buy truly digitally, which isn't getting tracked. It's as simple as that.

So their example is a PC-exclusive game? Does he know how many people would play WoW if it was a console game? I'm guessing not.

Hah..... I'd love to see WoW on console. My guess is a huge amount of fail. I personally never liked WoW, so I might be biased, but on a console there aren't enough buttons to play as good as a keyboard/mouse.

In any case, pc exclusive or not. It sells, and it sells well. Also, most of these non PC exclusive games, are designed for consoles and then ported over with poorly implemented controls for the PC, so thats not fair either. Look at Devil May Cry 3 and Resident Evil 4.

I wouldnt call wow the best example either, playing that on a console would really suck, gives me a headach just thinking about trying to equip skill's and items in all the bag's and such. What a mess.

But (legal) digital distribution is rising, I thought it was counted though...

So their example is a PC-exclusive game? Does he know how many people would play WoW if it was a console game? I'm guessing not.

Yeah, none of them because it would never work. From the control barriers to the server issues to licensing it with Microsoft and Sony, putting out patches every couple months and expansion packs on three different platforms; it could simply never be done right.

Champions Online (basically CoH2) is being released on Xbox360. I wonder how they plan to setup the controller scheme. Maybe Microsoft will finally add mouse/kb support? I really cant imagine off the top of my head how you can play a MMORPG with just a controller. There was EverQuest Adventures or whatever that EQ game for PSX was. Don't know anything about it though.

Does he know how many people would play WoW if it was a console game? I'm guessing not.
More than half of the entire base of xbox 360 sales would have to be playing wow to equal the current pc size

and considering that their are still probably about 200million PCs out there to expand to

But (legal) digital distribution is rising, I thought it was counted though...
Well take Steam for example, a lot of people (me included) buy games through that service, but games bought through Steam don't count towards overall sales of the retail versions of those PC games.

ah, I dont pay any attention usually, if it looks fun and the demo was I buy it :p

Well take Steam for example, a lot of people (me included) buy games through that service, but games bought through Steam don't count towards overall sales of the retail versions of those PC games.

Same here for me. Here is an article with Valve's Marketing director Doug Lombardi. Here is a small quote from the interview:

The 'PC Is Dead' Static

Alongside this rose-colored imagery, though, is a growing tide of opinion that aims to ring a death knell for the PC as a gaming platform -- at least in its current shape. Just recently THQ's Michael Fitch railed against the challenges of the PC gaming audience on the heels of Titan Quest developer Iron Lore's closing, while the NPD's grim picture of 2007's PC retail biz is still reverberating.

Lombardi blames the retail-heavy NPD report for the anxiety wave. "That totally ignores the money changing hands, and properties like World of Warcraft with their monthly subscriptions. That totally ignores Steam sales, and any other MMOs and online distribution systems and a host of others... it also ignores things like PopCap games. Peggle's not in that number."

He continues, "If you took Steam, Peggle, PopCap, WoW and mixed it with NPD numbers, the world looks a lot different. All of a sudden, it looks like PC's probably the biggest one, and year over year, the fastest-growing."

We were joined by Valve's business development director, Jason Holtman, who also notes that the infamous NPD story focuses only on North America. And, he notes, Steam distributes worldwide. "Our view of where PC gaming is across the world is very different than someone looking at North America's numbers," says Holtman.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17744

there are too many types of PC games you can't play on console, simply because dual analog=for noobs. How are you gona play something like WoW that requires pretty much the entire keyboard and mouse on a controller. lawl

there are too many types of PC games you can't play on console, simply because dual analog=for noobs. How are you gona play something like WoW that requires pretty much the entire keyboard and mouse on a controller. lawl

With a kb/m of course. :D The only reason I can think of that kb/m are only now just starting to be supported on the consoles is the kb/m's lack of couch friendliness. And that the majority of couch potatoes don't care for complicated games. Hence no wow, no flight sims, just mostly arcadey stuff. Not that arcade stuff is necessarily bad mind you.

Like I posted above, I am curious on how they will pull off Champions Online on the Xbox360.

Slow the pace, dumb it down, or both. Those are the normal paths for the more complicated games when ported to console. Just give the consoles a kb/m. Infinium's lapboard was the only cool thing to come out of that company.

there are too many types of PC games you can't play on console, simply because dual analog=for noobs.

dual analog doesn't equal noobs at all. You know how hard it is to aim precisely with dual angalog during a high action multiplayer match? I personally can't aim for shit with a controller, which is why I buy my FPS for PC when I can. It is a million times easier to aim with a mouse than it is with a controller. In reality, mouse/kb = noob. There is nothing hardcore about using a mouse/kb.

dual analog doesn't equal noobs at all. You know how hard it is to aim precisely with dual angalog during a high action multiplayer match? I personally can't aim for shit with a controller, which is why I buy my FPS for PC when I can. It is a million times easier to aim with a mouse than it is with a controller. In reality, mouse/kb = noob. There is nothing hardcore about using a mouse/kb.

being harder doesn't mean it's for pros, there is a point to how good you can be with a controller. With kb/mouse, it never stops, especially in FPS games. THat's why higher lvl play barely exists on consoles. In CAL, CEVO, etc, they're all PC games because the skill lvl is way beyond using a controller. If you watch some POVs, there are people that are literally human aimbots. That's why they earn the big bucks

Of course you are right, but you just made it seem that anyone who plays with a controller is a noob and has no skill. I am saying that it takes a lot more skill as a player to win with a controller than it does with a mouse/kb.

The fact that it's harder with sticks just means there's an artificial barrier between you and the game which reduces the immersion and increases the frustration, and leads to developers having to add various aim-assists and generally slowing down the pace of the game to compensate. I'd argue that being a good KB/M player (which I'm not) requires just as much skill but without the compromises.

auto aim

that is all.

With a m/kb you actually have to aim at someones head. With a controller, you have to aim at their head, if it was 2x it's current dimensions and the bullets will magically go torward their head.

I also love turning a corner real fast, and all of a sudden the speed of my "turn" goes way down for a second, letting me know there is an enemy that I did not see, but auto-aim did. :rolleyes:

Back