At Best Buy: BFG 6800 OC 128MB + Doom3+ Far Cry= $300

shkmiami

n00b
For the week of August 29 to September 4, Best Buy is having a sale: For $299.99, you get
BFG GeForce 6800 OC 128MB with a FarCry bundled inside. Plus a retail boxed Doom 3.
Essentially you are getting two of the hottest games in PC gamedom for free. Phenomenal deal.

I went to the store and picked it up. Got it installed now.

Anyone know if there is a bios out there for this card that will enable the additional pipelines?

Do a search on the web there is a way. I know I've seen a big thread at my homespot xtremesystems.org section xtreme3dteam.

From what I understand, the pipelines were disabled because they have flaws. The 6800 vanilla is a 6800gt/ultra chip that failed one part of the quality control process. Enabling the extra pipelines could cause artifacting.

Just the latest buzz I heard about the subject. Not sure if things have changed.

is this a good deal? by chance i just got linked to it from a friend then found it on here. Worth getting?

barefootbilly said:
is this a good deal? by chance i just got linked to it from a friend then found it on here. Worth getting?

if you were planning to buy a 6800nu its a good deal. free doom 3.

i got mine yesterday, o/c'ed to 381 core 780 mem out of the box, not bad, but i think the core can go higher

i bought the 6800 and doom 3 at best buy a week and a half ago. anyone think there's a chance they'll retroactively price-match themselves?

subgeek said:
i bought the 6800 and doom 3 at best buy a week and a half ago. anyone think there's a chance they'll retroactively price-match themselves?

They did for me once when I bought a burner for ~100 bucks,then 2 days later they had it on sale for ~40.. SO I went in with my reciept and they just refunded/re-rung me up and I had 60 back.

As for this deal,,, I am torn between this now or waiting for a month and getting a GT.
WHAT TO DO :confused:

D.

I went for it. It's a good card. Not enough of an improvement over my Radeon 9800 Pro to really justify the $300 bucks.
But now I have good linux support. And I have a buyer for my Radeon card too, so that offsets the cost a bit.

subgeek said:
As long as it's within their 2 week return period they would have to.

shaft said:
i got mine yesterday, o/c'ed to 381 core 780 mem out of the box, not bad, but i think the core can go higher

What did you use to O/C it?

Just got back from picking up the bundle at BBuy during lunch. They had at least six more in stock, but the sales guy told me that they'd sold fifteen of them since the sale started just a couple of days ago.

When I saw it listed here, I cancelled my Leadtek 6800nu order from newegg ($286 shipped) in favor of this card. Hell, I was going to pay $50 for Doom3 anyway, and now I have both it AND Far Cry. What a deal!

busta_cap said:
Just got back from picking up the bundle at BBuy during lunch. They had at least six more in stock, but the sales guy told me that they'd sold fifteen of them since the sale started just a couple of days ago.

When I saw it listed here, I cancelled my Leadtek 6800nu order from newegg ($286 shipped) in favor of this card. Hell, I was going to pay $50 for Doom3 anyway, and now I have both it AND Far Cry. What a deal!

I envy you man. Now I'm looking at my AIW 9600XT like a who man looks at his wife of twenty years after seeing the hottest younger models.

i've wanted to upgrade my vid card for a while and this seems like the perfect time. the geforce 3 ti500 just isn't holding up to the competition anymore. the thing i'm worried about is that the bfg 6800oc utilizes agp8x but my mobo is only 4x. if i buy this card, will i be able to experience its full capabilities or will the agp4x hold me back?

AGP 4x wont hurt you. It makes me wonder what else you might have in the system is all since 8x has been around for awhile.

and yes... reactivating the pipelines could cause artifacts. Just mentioning there is a BIOS to try. Wouldnt be the first that it worked for either. The non-faint of heart may want to try since reflashing isnt hard either. There is of course a good chance it won't get you something for nothing.

i've got a gigabyte ga7dx+, athlon 2000xp, 512megs pc2100 ram. the system still kicks... it just needs a new vid card.

mrderp said:
i've got a gigabyte ga7dx+, athlon 2000xp, 512megs pc2100 ram. the system still kicks... it just needs a new vid card.

Well no offense man but the rest of your system is going to be severely limiting your card's potential

i've wanted to upgrade for a while but don't have the money to do it all at once. hopefully this will be the first step in the process. plus i've wanted doom3 and farcry for a while but know my vid card can't handle it. also, i'm not an uber performance nut like i once was because now i can't afford it. i'm not looking for my system to be able to run either of these games at 16x12 with aa on. i just want something to run at 1024x768 on high detail without hiccuping.

mrderp said:
i've wanted to upgrade for a while but don't have the money to do it all at once. hopefully this will be the first step in the process. plus i've wanted doom3 and farcry for a while but know my vid card can't handle it. also, i'm not an uber performance nut like i once was because now i can't afford it. i'm not looking for my system to be able to run either of these games at 16x12 with aa on. i just want something to run at 1024x768 on high detail without hiccuping.

i got the same system my man, if all you want to do is play at 1024x768 u could prolly just get a radeon 9600xt and pocket the other 150.

forget it... i think i'm just gonna save and save and save like i should and build a monster all at once.

have had if for two weeks now - not much of an overclocker though - even with the auto overclock I get freezes and lock ups in UT2K3 and regular OS usage.

I saw them restock the shelves with loads of these cards not too long ago.

Thanks, bought one tonight. Can't wait for the rest of my system parts to come so i can try this thing out.

their is another thread for this card from outpost for 255 no doom

Back