• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Asymmetrical Crossfire 5750x5770?

Flyinfinni

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
1,300
So I'm currently running a 4870 512mb, but just got ahold of a 5750. I've been really wanting to give DX11 and eyefinity a shot, but don't want to lose FPS by "upgrading" to a 5750, so I was considering either getting a second 5750 or a 5770 to crossfire it with. I've done a good bit of looking around and can't really find much info on how the asymmetrical crossfire works. Would the 5770x5750 xfire perform better than the 5750x5750? Would it cause odd stuttering or other artifacts of different rendering speeds? How does crossfire compensate for the speed difference between the cards?
 
From what I've read, at your current 1080p res, you'll need at least a 5850 to really enjoy eyefinity. And if that's what you want to try out, I'd sell both the 4870 and 5750 and grab a 5850. Just my Opinion though...
 
I had thought about doing that, but I'd rather not deal with selling cards (I'll be moving the 4870 to another machine). Also, I've read that the 5750x5750 crossfire is better than a 5850 and is only a little behind the 5870, so for $140 I could basically have 5860ish type performance. I've already got a crossfire capable mobo (p55), so I was just trying to figure out it it was worth the extra $20 to get a 5770 for crossfire or just stick with 2 5750's.
 
I would not mix cards. Sure, you can do it, but that does not mean you SHOULD do it.

You can get %100 scaling with any two cards in AFR, and ATI lets you mix within series (you can pair two 57xx or 58xx together). But here lies the problem: if the power of the cards is different, your framerate is not going to be as-smooth. Each card will produce frames at slightly different rates, giving you a juddered experience.

This judder will not be like microstutter (which is random). This will happen continuously, as the frames keep switching from one card to another.

I would either sell the 5750 and buy a 5850, or else buy a second 5750. I would not crossfire two different cards unless I had no choice.
 
This is actually the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks Defaultluser- for once someone just answered the question I asked rather than suggesting something totally different:)
 
Back
Top