• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Asus?

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
Just got a letter in the mail saying that I was able to get housing for the spring semester at my school, so I'm going to need a laptop to go along with it. I will have my desktop at school so it won't be replacing that, but I live close enough to go home most weekends, and during those times my laptop would be my computer, so I'm still looking for something powerful enough to run my games with decent enough settings. WoW/Call of Duty 4/Orange Box mostly.

I've been looking on newegg as everything I saw from larger companies like dell seemed overpriced (not to mention I've had some bad experiences with dell laptops in the past) and came across this laptop - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220265. Decent size screen, enough ram, large enough hard drive etc. Don't know too much about battery life but I can't see it being anything extremely short, though the laptop will be plugged in much of the time so it isn't as important as other things. There are just 3 things I am unsure about however. I don't know much about mobile processors, so I'm not sure where on the totem pole the T7500 ranks. I'm also fairly ignorant to mobile video cards, so I don't know about how well the card the laptop would be able to run my games. Lastly, I know Asus is known for their motherboards, but I'm unsure to the quality of their laptops.

If anyone could offer some advice on this laptop or perhaps another in the same price range that would be better for the cost I would greatly appreciate it.
 
I have the same model but with the specs in my sig I bought it for the xact same reason you did and got an AWESOME price. I am very happy with the quality and the performance. As for the cpu it is very nice. I think the cpu ranks near the top. The video card is a little weak. I have a 2600 hd which is midrange and about equivalent to the 8600gt. I'd expect the 2400 to perform slightly less than that. Should be fine if you don't game heavily.
 
I would suggest looking for a laptop with a bit more graphical power in it, also Asus is well known for having some solid laptops. Before I make a suggestion, you stated, to stay around the same budget but can we increase it a bit at all? If so you could look at other Asus lines (15.4" also) that come with the 8600GT in them and would provide a much better experience.
 
Looked at some with higher end graphics cards in them, and to get up to a 8600M GS it would cost an extra $120 and a downgrade to a 160GB hard drive. Call of Duty 4 I could live without for 2 days a week if that's what the main graphical power comment was about. Would the first do decently in the orange box games at least? (obviously not with the settings cranked up)
 
That one looks pretty decent and for less than the one I linked I could actually take advantage of a newegg special I just noticed with 4 gigs of kingston notebook ram for $85. I think I'll go with the one in that link as soon as I make sure that 2x2GB will work fine. Anyone know?
 
Yes it should work. Just make sure you have a 64-bit OS to see all 4GB.
 
Not too knowledgable on Vista versions, but Vista Home Premium comes with a 64 bit version correct?
 
The full retail does, but the OEM comes in 32 or 64bit flavors, but not both. The Retail version you have to pay $10 or so for Microsoft to send you the 64bit disc I believe. They won't do that with the OEM.
 
You'll be able to use ~3.5GB with 32bit, so unless you have need for the other ~500MB I wouldn't worry about it too much.
 
Quick bump for a somewhat unrelated question (didn't feel like making a new topic).

Is it worth getting LoJack for the laptop considering it will be in my dorm room? The rooms at my school are relatively secure, but I'm partial to better safe than sorry if the software works well. Anyone used it before?
 
To be honest, I think it's rather stupid.

Especially when they say this:

LoJack website said:
If your computer isn't recovered within 30 days of you reporting it stolen, you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase price of the software.

What about your computer? :eek:
 
Back
Top