Asus Zenfone 2

Kueller

Supreme [H]ardness
So what's everyone think about this phone?
http://www.asus.com/Phones/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/

5.5"
1920x1080 IPS screen
Rear rocker switch, top wake/power button
13MP/5MP Rear/Front f/2.0 cameras
3000mah non-removeable battery
16GB/32GB/64GB storage
MicroSD
Dual micro-SIM? Would be nice.

Intel Atom Z3560 1.8GHz quad core w/2GB RAM expected March 2015
Starting at $199 unlocked?

Intel Atom Z3580 2.3GHz quad core w/4GB RAM?
Anyone heard a price?

Also a planned 720p version, for less than $199.

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-zenfone-2-hands-first-impressions-579187/

if the top version comes in at $300 or less, it'll sell like crazy. No mention if the battery was removable? Might be deal breaker to some.

I'm wondering how the Intel SoCs compare to the current Qualcomm flagships (801/805/810). Even if they don't compete directly, I'm sure these will still be a great value and be plenty fast for most apps/games. I'm guessing they will at least match a S800/801 or so.

Also, I'm guessing no CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) support. Their network specs only list a bunch of LTE bands, no HSPA/CDMA bands.

I'm wondering how the Intel SoCs compare to the current Qualcomm flagships (801/805/810). Even if they don't compete directly, I'm sure these will still be a great value and be plenty fast for most apps/games. I'm guessing they will at least match a S800/801 or so.

Also, I'm guessing no CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) support. Their network specs only list a bunch of LTE bands, no HSPA/CDMA bands.

They might be lacking in the graphics department especially when trying to push higher resolutions on flagship devices (I haven't seen any benchmarks yet). They have supported verizon in the past on devices like the motorola droid razr m.

if the top version comes in at $300 or less, it'll sell like crazy. No mention if the battery was removable? Might be deal breaker to some.

I read the battery was non-removeable in one of the previews, 3000mah. Whether it is [H]user replaceable I'm not sure, will probably have to wait for a teardown to see if it's screwed/clipped/taped in...or glued/soldered.

Asus does advertise a "quick charge" feature that is supposed to charge it 60% in 40 minutes.

I would be interested in this. Even with my recent change to a oneplusone, this would be a fun phone to mess around with for $200. I couldn't find the 2G/3G band support list though, only 4G/LTE support bands. It covers all the major carriers it would appear, on 4G at least.

Has it been confirmed that this doesn't support Verizon's (CDMA) bands? I'm sure it doesn't, just curious though.

Windows 10 for Mobile will probably makes this thing sell like hotcakes at the same $300 unlocked...

Hope Asus get back on their PadFone infinity series. That is what I called the premium phone...

There are enough budget phones already.... :(

My mother has ZenPhone 2 (2GB/32GB version) and I have the Padfone S (with S801, 2GB/16GB).

Comparing AnTuTu benchmarks, ZenPhone 2 was around 38k, my padfone was around 42k.

Performance wise PFS still beats Zen 2, except maybe the 4GB RAM version, and comparing the ergonomics of Zen, I think Zen is still an inferior phone compared to PFS. I am not a fan of thick centre thin edge phones, especially not with the volume control on the back of the phone where any phone protection cover would make them hard to reach. However I probably would like the LOW end of Zen 2 more, 1080p screen on my PFS is very power hungry.

I will probably get the 3GB/64GB PFS when Lollipop hits, which is slated for June at the moment.

Has it been confirmed that this doesn't support Verizon's (CDMA) bands? I'm sure it doesn't, just curious though.

If it does, which I rather doubt, I might get it. Also, bootloader is still locked, which is a strange move for an unlocked phone not sold via carriers.

If it does, which I rather doubt, I might get it. Also, bootloader is still locked, which is a strange move for an unlocked phone not sold via carriers.

It would certainly be interesting to see it with an unlocked bootloader and have someone install Windows 10 on it.

As for CDMA, nope.
Here are Intel's specs on the modem it uses:
LTE FDD & TDD; LTE Advanced Cat. 6 300Mbps, 2CA up to 40MHz, VoLTE, TD-SCDMA, DC-HSPA+, HSUPA, EDGE
http://ark.intel.com/products/77507/Intel-XMM-7262

I was at the event yesterday, and received the 4GB version. They're working on unlocking the bootloader, as they know it needs to be done, but Intel needs to initiate it. It'll happen shortly, from the way they were talking.

That being said, this thing FLIES for what it is. Quick, powerful, good camera, decent screen. I like it.

I thought I read in a review that this device will have a ton of app compatibility issues due to the processor. Is that true?

All the reviews I've read mentioned that they thought that it would have compatibility issues, but they have surprisingly not experienced any. As long as it's developed not as a native app but rather java (which is the great majority of the apps on the Play Store), you will not be likely to run into issues.

Last edited:
Asus had always been one of the more prominent users of Intel's lower powered chips, like EEE-PC back in the day, and their entire ZenPhone line (ZenPhone C, 5 & 6) all had used Intel. It's their Padfones that used non-Intel chips (at least the Padfone S/X, that used Snap 801).

Considering this for use on Cricket. Does the Zen 2 have a "pure" Android ROM installed (like the newer Moto phones), or is it customized and loaded with crapware?

Considering this for use on Cricket. Does the Zen 2 have a "pure" Android ROM installed (like the newer Moto phones), or is it customized and loaded with crapware?

Will be able to tell you in a few days. My friend ordered one from NewEgg and it's already shipped. Supposed to have it on Tuesday.

That will be very awesome of you...thanks and I'm looking forward to getting your thoughts and impression of this phone.

I don't think Asus phones do pure Android Roms, but on my mother's Zen 2 and my own Pad S, Asus installs Zen UI and mostly Asus and google only apps, no 3rd parties AFAIK.

asus installs a bunch of bloatware. it definitely isn't pure vanilla android. I think motorola is the only of the major manufacturers that does do pure android roms.

Also, I think the phone is yet to be rooted so you can't install a clean custom rom yet, but that will likely change.

This phone definitely has potential, I'll be watching. Asus really may have hit a homerun with that pricepoint and hardware specs.

I used to have a bunch of Asus tablets back when we were on ICS and they didn't bloat up the os but they did have quite a few Asus branded apps pre-installed.

The UI is bloated but functional. There's a lot of superfluous stuff and multiple shortcuts to the same stuff, as a lot of settings get their own icon. Kind of annoying, but easily hidden with say, Nova Launcher.

Root will be coming shortly, they're working with Intel to get the bootloader unlocked "soon".

I just got one. Coming from a Nexus 5 the Zen UI is a shockingly bloated fat piece of shit.

Phone is already rooted, I haven't read about any roms yet, but i think they're out there. Phone seems ok, I got the 2gb, feels about even with my busted ass Nexus 5, figure it'll work for me until the Nexus 5 2015 or 1+2 are out.

How much should I ask on Swappa for my Nexus 5 with a swapped screen? Chassis is pretty beat up, but the screen is new.

I just got one. Coming from a Nexus 5 the Zen UI is a shockingly bloated fat piece of shit.

Phone is already rooted, I haven't read about any roms yet, but i think they're out there. Phone seems ok, I got the 2gb, feels about even with my busted ass Nexus 5, figure it'll work for me until the Nexus 5 2015 or 1+2 are out.

How much should I ask on Swappa for my Nexus 5 with a swapped screen? Chassis is pretty beat up, but the screen is new.

Tree-fiddy!

Back