Asus Z9PE-D8 extremely choppy

2disbetter

n00b
As the title implies I'm getting what looks like choppiness as a result of interrupts. The setup is:

2 x E5 2609 v2 CPUs
64gb RAM (G-skills)
2 x EVGA 580 GTX cards (in sli)
1 x Creative X-Fi Titanium Champion PCi-e card

I've got the cards installed in the PCi-e 3 slot, 5 slot, and the sound card in the last slot (slot 7)

My Happy Hacker KB isn't recognized during boot, so I'm using a iogear wireless keyboard which seems to work.

Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of the extreme lag?

When the system boots for example, it takes a excruiatingly long time for the windows icon to come up, and after it does, and even longer time before the system actually loads. It's appears to be studdering.

I'm guessing it has to do with the GPUs, but am not sure.

Anybody have any ideas? Thank you in advance!

2d

I'll chime in with some of the more obvious ones:-

What BIOS revision are you using? what drives you using? What controller do you have them plugged into? Are they set for AHCI, not IDE? What AV software are you using?

Have you tried booting with just one card in?

Thanks Nathn_P, I'm running the most current BIOS. (I actually reflashed it just incase). I have the hard drives all running through the Marvell controller, with 2 of those drives (Intel SSD 240gb) configured in a RAID 0 format. (It is also the system drive)

Then I have 3 sata optical drives using the normal sata ports (1 blu-ray, 2 dvd-burners).

The Marvell drives are set to RAID

and the other SATA ports are all set to AHCI.

I have not tried booting with just one GPU.

So far I have not actually booted into the windows 8 because I'm just barely past the first round of installing it.

2d

I figured it out. I use a Mimo USB monitor that I stuff heat gauges and the like on. Apparently the MB was seeing the monitor and thought it was an input device. It was causing the stuttering.

When I unplugged it, full speed at boot. Under windows it was fine as well.

I also found enabling fast boot and disabling USB seeking, helped as well. Back at full speed.

Just need to figure out how I'm going to get into the BIOS again now that it's not registering keyboards until after windows has started to load.

2d

Of course now the problem is my sata optical drives keep appearing and dissappearing on restart.

2d

Do you have a ps2 keyboard? These workstation boards still have ps2 connector so you could use that to get into bios.

You actually need a ps2 keyboard to get into the bios. USB to ps2 adapters don't work either. Pulled my hair out for days until I figured that one out, haha.

You actually need a ps2 keyboard to get into the bios. USB to ps2 adapters don't work either. Pulled my hair out for days until I figured that one out, haha.

Not true, I can get into the bios on mine OK using a USB keyboard

Not true, I can get into the bios on mine OK using a USB keyboard

As did I. That is until I enabled fast boot. I DID NOT enable the skip VGA, USB, or PS/2 however under that option, but during POSTing I'm not noticing any USB devices being active.

Fortunately I do have a PS/2 keyboard laying around, but the HHKB does support PS/2 so I just ned to get a USB to PS/2 adapter.

2d

Chances are your keyboard did not support Ps/2 emulation or your adapter was faulty, which is unlikely.

At any rate I really like this Mb, but am surprised about the USB complications at POST.

2d

this board can be a right PITA but when it works it is good, there is a huge (100+page) thread over at OCN that tells you everything you need to know about it.

Not sure whether I have fast boot enabled or not, next time I take it down I will have a look. Oh and no PS2 adapter, I just plugged straight into a USB port and off she went

Thanks again Nathan. Im glad that the board has been perfect for me. Also thanks for telling me about the OCN thread! That will keep me busy for some time!

2d

Back