Asus Z97I-Plus

Indeed it looks like the protective film is still on it in that last photo. It is indeed supposed to be removed after install, it could help the temperature a bit.

Indeed it looks like the protective film is still on it in that last photo. It is indeed supposed to be removed after install, it could help the temperature a bit.

Yeah, it's protective film. I took it off of mine yesterday when I installed the mobo.

Protective film removed during installation.
However after some time playing Minecraft(Son) and watching Unreal Engine 5 demos, Running Prime95 to test CPU, I have this result: Mainboard 113 Deg Celsius.

What are other alternatives to monitor temps ?

I have not had anything like this on my A10-5800K and Asrock A88 mITX where VRM are not even covered with ANY heatsink....:confused:

Found this post that shows Thermal image of our MB with AIO Watercooling loop(scenario where VRMs do not get much air) and 4790k working on 4,7 GHz - sorry RUSSIAN only
http://www.ferra.ru/ru/system/review/asus-z97-pro-wifi-ac-asus-z97-a-asus-z97i-plus/

VRM Max temp is 80 Deg C

Last edited:
Found another review of Z97I-Plus in Russian LINK - you can definitely see what we were talking about on this screenshot

MB temp is shown as 109 Deg C which is obviously not correct ;)

Found another review of Z97I-Plus in Russian LINK - you can definitely see what we were talking about on this screenshot

MB temp is shown as 109 Deg C which is obviously not correct ;)

Yes. From what I understand, this sensor is not connected to anything, and gives 100C+ readouts on most ASUS boards using HWMonitor..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-30-northbridge-runs-128c-idle

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1797905/115c-mainboard-temperature-reading-hwmonitor.html

Mine's always around 100C or higher at idle, but actually drops a little bit during heavy usage and benchmarking.

Guys, I would like to use Tower style CPU cooler on this MB
Can anyone confirm if Scythe Kotetsu, Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev A fits in without blocking VGA Slot ?

thanks

If I install on this motherboard M2 SSD, will that drop my PCI-E speed x16 to x8? Like Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT?

If I install on this motherboard M2 SSD, will that drop my PCI-E speed x16 to x8? Like Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT?

From what I understand, no. On the Z97I-Plus, the M.2 slot uses PCIe 2.0 lanes from the chipset instead of PCIe 3.0 from the CPU. This limits the M.2 drive to x2 speeds but it doesn't affect your x16 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

I'm thinking of using this board in my Ncase M1 when it arrives, any idea if my Cryorig C1 will fit without any overhang? My current Z77 board has the socket placed right over next to the PCIe slot so it sits over the whole board very nicely.

I'm thinking of using this board in my Ncase M1 when it arrives, any idea if my Cryorig C1 will fit without any overhang? My current Z77 board has the socket placed right over next to the PCIe slot so it sits over the whole board very nicely.

Socket placement seems about the same on all of the ASUS ITX boards, so you'll probably run into the same fitment issues that Tschus did with his C1..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041347276&postcount=15158

So you'll either have it overhang and block the GPU, requiring a riser, or you could orientate it with the overhang sticking past the RAM (using either an ATX PSU or an SFX on the ATX bracket to allow room) and have it blocking the forward-most side fan mount (and blocking use of the side HDD rack).

Guys, I would like to use Tower style CPU cooler on this MB
Can anyone confirm if Scythe Kotetsu, Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev A fits in without blocking VGA Slot ?

thanks

Answering myself:
Scythe Kotetsu fits fine - abt 3 cm till the GPU.

Build details:
Define R5 stock fans.
i5 4690k + Z97I-Plus
Scythe Kotetsu
Asus Strix 970
2*250 Gb SSDs
Seasonic X1050 (during browsing/idle runs passive)

Socket placement seems about the same on all of the ASUS ITX boards, so you'll probably run into the same fitment issues that Tschus did with his C1..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041347276&postcount=15158

So you'll either have it overhang and block the GPU, requiring a riser, or you could orientate it with the overhang sticking past the RAM (using either an ATX PSU or an SFX on the ATX bracket to allow room) and have it blocking the forward-most side fan mount (and blocking use of the side HDD rack).

Thanks. Looks like I'll just stick with my Z77 set up to begin with, until I find a board with the correct socket placement and M.2 support.

Can this Mobo or the VII Impact support gaming at low settings for dota 2 and SC2 natively?
Curious to know if I can do a build with i3 and not independent GFX card

I'm considering this motherboard for an upcoming build in a Phantek Enthoo Evolv ITX case. I want to use air cooling and based on a scale graphic mockup I did the Noctua NH-U12S (w/dual fans) fits. I also will be using G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400Mhz RAM. But I've seen an online review with this same combination showing the cooler fan pressing against the first memory module heatsink. In my scale mockup it doesn't. I think some of you here use this same cooler. What is your experience with that?

asus_z97i-plus_nh-u12s_dual.jpg

If you mean the Z87 Stinger review from HWC, then yes, you will encounter the same thing, as socket placement should be identical with reference to the DIMM slots. It touches but doesn't appear to conflict in any way.

Note however that the Trident memory heatsinks have little screws so you can remove them to shorten them, at which point they probably won't lean against the fan at all.

Back