asus z97 ws no boot

johngalt47

n00b
I have bought three Asus workstation motherboards lately and non of them will boot. Two were used on ebay and the latest is brand new. On the used ones, even the cpu fans ran but would not boot. On the new one, the cpu fan does not run but the various leds come on. The power supply is a brand new Seasonic 1200 platinum. The memory is new G skill.

Any ideas?

Are you using a supported cpu? Maybe the boards have an old bios and you are trying to run a Devil's Canyon. It seems almost statistically impossible that you bought 3 boards that are all bad like that. The cpu sounds like the common part in your testing.

edit: What boards are these? I was assuming they were 1150 socket, but let us know.

Did you attach all the power cables? this board has quite a few power sockets, 20+4pin 2x 8pin and a optional 6x pcie for the pcie lanes, are you trying with the same cpu/gpu/memory, the problem might be one of the other components, also these boards have qlogger that you can check and a post info led display.

I have one of these. The only way I could get it to work is to make sure the center hole is held by a screw instead of a post. My Corsair Carbine Air 540 had a center post that would help hold the board in place while putting the screws in the other holes, and the board just would not work in that case. I had to put it in my CoolerMaster HAF XB to get it to work.

If you're running it on a test bench or a case that uses posts instead of screws to hold it in, change to a case with all screws holding the board in. Otherwise it won't work.

I have one of these. The only way I could get it to work is to make sure the center hole is held by a screw instead of a post. My Corsair Carbine Air 540 had a center post that would help hold the board in place while putting the screws in the other holes, and the board just would not work in that case. I had to put it in my CoolerMaster HAF XB to get it to work.

If you're running it on a test bench or a case that uses posts instead of screws to hold it in, change to a case with all screws holding the board in. Otherwise it won't work.

Works fine for me with no screw:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040967592&postcount=7

I have bought three Asus workstation motherboards lately and non of them will boot. Two were used on ebay and the latest is brand new. On the used ones, even the cpu fans ran but would not boot. On the new one, the cpu fan does not run but the various leds come on. The power supply is a brand new Seasonic 1200 platinum. The memory is new G skill.

Any ideas?

Can you list the CPU used and the memory kit part number? Also list the POST code you are seeing on the hex code display please.

Call Asus and make sure they didn't switch in a refurbished broken mobo. They did that to me recently and just now getting a rma for it. Asus can look the mobo up on their database and tell you what you got. The Z97 WS is suppose to be DC compatible out of the box as I understand it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1826792

Back