ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Disable all unnecessary controllers. Reduce any pause time for detection of drives. Disable USB initialization (you will then need to use the ASUS boot setting tool or "direct key" to get into UEFI). That and any hardware fast boot options one can use.

-Raja

What part of the Asus software keeps reaching out over the network? PeerBlock goes nuts blocking requests from Asus. I want to remove whatever this is...

@Mbridgett: Might as well disable sleep mode on your son's PC.

I tried just doing a shutdown and had exactly the same problem. If I had a spare PSU it would be easy to prove what the problem is of course - it's going to be either motherboard or PSU. I just don't fancy having to buy another PSU just to prove a point!

Another question, why is the VI Hero missing the Maximus Tweak and Memory Presets option under DRAM settings?

Another question, why is the VI Hero missing the Maximus Tweak and Memory Presets option under DRAM settings?

Those options are reserved for high-end models only. Why? Because each option requires copious amounts of R&D time tuning microcode. That's some of what segregates the high-end models from lesser ones. We put more time into the high-end products for their audience.

Raja,

I have an Asus Z87 Pro, C1, running a 4770k inside a Fractal XLR2 case. The power light flashes in sleep mode. It is brighter than the strobe on a police car.

In the name of all that's holy, is there any way to program the mobo so the LED stays off when it is sleeping?

I don't want to use it as a drive activity light, nor do I want to disable it. I l Iike a steady "power on" indicator light.

Asus is the only mobo which has this annoying characteristic. Is there a solution?

Thanks,
Ken

In the UEFI set ErP to enabled.

Thank you!!

And, yes, I've explored the UEFI, but did not see any settings which made sense. I've also read the manual, but didn't see it. I still don't know what ErP stands for, but if it makes the light stop flashing, I'm grateful.

Regards,

Ken

Thank you!!

And, yes, I've explored the UEFI, but did not see any settings which made sense. I've also read the manual, but didn't see it. I still don't know what ErP stands for, but if it makes the light stop flashing, I'm grateful.

Regards,

Ken
You're welcome. ErP is an energy saving setting.

has customer service gotten any better for RMAs / phone support as I was very displeased when I called in last fall for my Z77 Sabertooth

has customer service gotten any better for RMAs / phone support as I was very displeased when I called in last fall for my Z77 Sabertooth

I've only ever seen you posting stuff with MSI boards (if you're the same guy from XS) :)

We have a CLM team to handle RMA issues that crop up.

Customer Loyalty Management team. They handle online RMA queries and issues.

I have had to use the service line a few times over the last 7-8 years for various stuff. I always found it the most frustrating - but then again it usually is when you are having an issue. I miss the service that BFG had lol, that was a while back for sure. I don't like any of the service I get usually so take it with a grain of salt, I hate not being able to fix something

Well, jkramp, I've changed my ErP setting. No good. Asus still makes my power light flash while it's in sleep mode.

The ErP settings are:
- Disabled (what it was defaulted to)
- Enabled (S4+S5)
- Enabled (S5)

I changed it to each of the enabled states and it still caused flashing in sleep. (I only let it stay in sleep for a few minutes each time. If it goes into a -deeper- sleep and stops flashing, I didn't discover that.)

So, for me, I will have to put this characteristic of Asus motherboards as a HUGE drawback.

I cannot believe that this cannot be changed, nor that I am the only one who finds it extremely annoying. (Note that consumers generally don't spend disposable income on products which annoy them.)

Thanks for the help,

Ken

Well, jkramp, I've changed my ErP setting. No good. Asus still makes my power light flash while it's in sleep mode.

The ErP settings are:
- Disabled (what it was defaulted to)
- Enabled (S4+S5)
- Enabled (S5)

I changed it to each of the enabled states and it still caused flashing in sleep. (I only let it stay in sleep for a few minutes each time. If it goes into a -deeper- sleep and stops flashing, I didn't discover that.)

So, for me, I will have to put this characteristic of Asus motherboards as a HUGE drawback.

I cannot believe that this cannot be changed, nor that I am the only one who finds it extremely annoying. (Note that consumers generally don't spend disposable income on products which annoy them.)

Thanks for the help,

Ken
This works every time.

http://www.lightdims.com/

LOL, so does electrical tape, but the light is a ring around the power button. Shrug. I'll keep using this mobo. It'd be a waste to get rid of it because of this. For whatever it's worth, I'll never purchase an asus mobo again as long as this stupid "the light must blink" characteristic is part of the bios.

Gigabyte and MSI are quality manufacturers that don't force this on me. The differences between the board makers are slight at these levels. This one puts me over the edge. I want a sleeping computer to be dark.

I do thank you for your assistance.

Ken

This motherboard freezes when various sata hard drives are plugged in. In the beginning, a WD 80GB and 500GB drive POSTed but a 250GB drive froze the system. Later, the 80GB drive stopped POSTing and then the 500GB drive stopped. I then tried two new 1TB WD black drives. One POSTed while the other froze the system. I tried various sata ports but the failure was associated with the drive not the sata port.

I then put the non-POSTing WD black drive in a usb case and used WD's windlg diagnostic to quick test it (successfully) on a separate win7-64 system. I then plugged the usb case into the Z87-A which again resulted in a freeze.

When frozen, the keyboard LEDs don't respond.

I am able to repeatably boot OpenBSD via a usb stick with the Z87-A system and am able to access the POSTing WD black drive. At one time, I was able to boot from the 500GB drive (and run for several hours) before a reboot resulted in no longer POSTing.

Details:
Z87-A Part no:90MB0D0Z0-M0AAY0
Intel i7-4770 S-spec. SR149 Product Code: BX80646I74770
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 drives

I've noticed other reports of samsung disks not POSTing and some ssd issues.

I use stock settings (no overclocking) and I did try disabling Aggressive LPM Support with no success regarding the freeze. I have reset the cmos and loaded bios defaults to no avail.

Should I return this motherboard to the vendor or is this fixable via a configuration tweak or beta BIOS or ???

A few things to check:

1) Some third party SATA cables dn't work well with the Z87 chipset. Are you using the cables that came with the board or your own?

2) Have you checked the firmware version on the drives?

3) Which UEFI version is the board running?

4) I am also wondering if there is instability elsewhere on the system - when the board is running have you run any stability tests?

-Raja

Thanks for the quick reply. My responses are in-line.

A few things to check:

1) Some third party SATA cables dn't work well with the Z87 chipset. Are you using the cables that came with the board or your own?
Yes, the two cables came with the Z87-A.

2) Have you checked the firmware version on the drives?
I thought that was the latter part of the WD model #. I've appended links for the labels on the two drives. For future reference, which field is the firmware version?
http://arp.thrush.com/asus/z87/wdblack-freezes.jpg
http://arp.thrush.com/asus/z87/wdblack-ok.jpg

3) Which UEFI version is the board running?
Sorry, it's 1405. The motherboard came with an earlier version. Upgrading to 1405 didn't seem to improve the freezes.

4) I am also wondering if there is instability elsewhere on the system - when the board is running have you run any stability tests?
With the original 500GB drive, I did upgrade the OpenBSD system to the latest snapshot and built some packages. I did not notice any anomalies during the few hours with that configuration.

-Raja

Hi,

1) Try enabling "hot plug" on the ports the drives are connected to. I am assuming it is the Intel ports you are using. Try IDE mode as a debug as well.

2) Use a single memory module only and see if it impacts the system freeze at all. Enable XMP, too. Maybe run Memtest and see if it holds up.

3) For the fw version you'd need to use some WD tools I assume. Would search their site. The only drives I know of that have issue with this platform are SF1200 SSDs from SAndforce - the controllers are out of SATA spec hence the issue.

4) Check for any bent pins in the CPU socket - wondering if anything is amiss there.

Can't really comment on the use OSes aprts from Windows -a sthat is all we support. The only oddity here for me is the freeze outside the OS in UEFI. Might be worth listing what else you have plugged into the board if anything (include all part numbers).

-Raja

Hi,

1) Try enabling "hot plug" on the ports the drives are connected to. I am assuming it is the Intel ports you are using. Try IDE mode as a debug as well.
Enabling hot plug on sata port1 (All 6 are gold so I assume all are Intel) results in freeze. Both legacy and native IDE modes also result in freeze.

2) Use a single memory module only and see if it impacts the system freeze at all. Enable XMP, too. Maybe run Memtest and see if it holds up.
Single memory module made no difference. Enabling XMP #1 profile made no difference. memtest86+ v4.20 ran 3 passes successfully for over an hour.

3) For the fw version you'd need to use some WD tools I assume. Would search their site. The only drives I know of that have issue with this platform are SF1200 SSDs from SAndforce - the controllers are out of SATA spec hence the issue.
Hmmm. I thought the label would yield the firmware info. Using smartmontools, the firmware version is 05.01D05 for both WD Black drives.

4) Check for any bent pins in the CPU socket - wondering if anything is amiss there.
I'm using the stock Intel cpu fan and would rather not break the heatsink bond (I don't have any fresh heatsink compound) unless it's the only remaining possibility. Although it's the first time I've installed an LGA1150 processor, I've installed processors since s-100 days with no mishap.

Can't really comment on the use OSes aprts from Windows -a sthat is all we support. The only oddity here for me is the freeze outside the OS in UEFI. Might be worth listing what else you have plugged into the board if anything (include all part numbers).
Intel i7-4770 S-spec. SR149 Product Code: BX80646I74770
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - 1 4GB module at present
Logitech K120 keyboard via USB.
No mouse.
The onboard video is connected via DVI to a Dell U2412M.
No pci cards.

-Raja

If it would help the diagnosis, I could install win7-64 on the working WD black. Or ???

Not heard of it before. The "heatsink"/paste bond is worth breaking to eliminate the socket from the mix. If that checks out, then maybe try an RMA of the board - if it's freezing in UEFI that is. If the freezes are with those other OSes, then try Win 7 for sure.

Any word on AISuite III as far as getting the persistent "ASUS Bar" to stay gone after a reboot?

What's weird is on my VI HERO it stays away after reboots, on my VI GENE, it comes back.

I haven't heard of any updates in the works for the ROG boards for this of late. I think this isn't something seen as a high priority item (other bugs need fixing first etc), so even if I request it, it could take some time.

Hi guys,
doe anybodu know if a scythe Kozuti will fit on a Asus Z87I-PRO?
I just ordered the asus mobo and don't want to use the standard intel cooler on a Core i5

Last edited:
Raja. Is there a place in the bios to turn off the reset button? On my case the reset button is right on top in front and i find i hit and force a hard restart from time to time.. No good.. So trying to figure out how to turn that off.. thanks..

Raja. Is there a place in the bios to turn off the reset button? On my case the reset button is right on top in front and i find i hit and force a hard restart from time to time.. No good.. So trying to figure out how to turn that off.. thanks..
Disconnect the case connector at the motherboard.

Disconnect the case connector at the motherboard.

Thanks jkramp.. I had already done that-- i was just looking for a cleaner way to do this in the bios--leaving the case connector attached in case i wanted to use it again at a later time.. :)

Thanks jkramp.. I had already done that-- i was just looking for a cleaner way to do this in the bios--leaving the case connector attached in case i wanted to use it again at a later time.. :)
There is no setting in the BIOS. Perhaps something like the first link below installed to a blank PCI bracket. Or the second link already assembled.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7647/cab-125/Replacement_2_Pin_Reset_Switch_Cable_w_Switch.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14876/ele-1022/HSPC_PC_ATX_Power_Bracket_ATXbracket.html

Last edited:
I'm trying to download latest drivers for Windows 8.1 from the support website (MEI, Chipset, RST) and get file not found errors for 2 days now.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87WS/#support_Download

File I can't download:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket1150/Z87-WS/Driver/MEI_VER95141724.zip

Is everything ok with the downloads on asus.com?

Edit: Actually getting file not found errors for all downloads that were updated on 10/18/2013 for the Z87-WS.

Should be working now I hear from my contact in HQ...

Should be working now I hear from my contact in HQ...

Great, thanks for the info. Finished my upgrade to 8.1 now after installing all drivers im getting one warning in the event viewer:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.

Happens once every boot. Can you tell if thats related to my board?

Back