ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Hey, came across an issue with the P8Z77-V board I just received due to a previous RMA (that one stopped at Boot Device LED; couldn’t enter the BIOS, ran for 4 months prior to the problem). I am using the same components as before:
Antec ECO 620W
i5-3570k
WinTV-HVR-2250
ATI HD 3870 (this will be replaced soon)
1 SSD and 3 HDDs
G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 4GB; rated for 9-9-9-24. (F3-1600C9D-8GAB)

The issue is that I can run either stick by itself in the preferred slot (DIMM_A2) at their rated speeds (800 MHz, 9-9-9-24), but as soon as I add the other stick (DIMM_B2, both are blue), there's no display, and the RAM LED remains lit. However, if I keep the timings the same, but reduce the freqs to 533 MHz, it boots and runs just fine.

With some more testing, I can run single stick at 533MHz at JEDEC timings of 7-7-7-19 in B2 (furthest from CPU), but not 800 MHz. B1 gives the same issue, A1 does not; thus the issue is the two right slots can't run the ram at 800MHz, whereas the left two slots have no issues. It seems like macro ran into a similar problem earlier, and the suggestion was to run the XMP profile, which did not solve the problem.

I haven't run any memory stress tests (memory was tested 4 months ago on initial build), nor can I swap out other ram sticks to see if its a MB or RAM problem. Currently running BIOS 1504. Any ideas?

I'm very disappointed that Asus is giving me the run-around for my broken WS board.

I called them using the serial number right on the packaging (as per the instructions on Asus' website). Both techs tell me that the number is wrong. Unfortunately they are too lazy, too incompetent to get someone else higher up to continue the RMA process.

What's on the box is the only serial number I have since I'm away on vacation. I don't have the board in front of me. But I have to get the ball rolling.

But none of the two techs I spoke to were helpful enough to understand my situation. I've given them what's on the packaging and I cannot do any more than that at this point.

I can tell right away these guys just don't give a rat's ass. Sure, the S/N from the box may not get verified on their RMA software. But come on, if they wanted to, I'm sure they can get someone higher up to help me out.

What a waste of time.

Omg I just bought the P8Z77-V and 3570k...just waiting on my ssd and NOW I read all the horror stories.

Ive always uses Asus but now Im a little worried.

Hey, came across an issue with the P8Z77-V board I just received due to a previous RMA (that one stopped at Boot Device LED; couldn’t enter the BIOS, ran for 4 months prior to the problem). I am using the same components as before:
Antec ECO 620W
i5-3570k
WinTV-HVR-2250
ATI HD 3870 (this will be replaced soon)
1 SSD and 3 HDDs
G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 4GB; rated for 9-9-9-24. (F3-1600C9D-8GAB)

The issue is that I can run either stick by itself in the preferred slot (DIMM_A2) at their rated speeds (800 MHz, 9-9-9-24), but as soon as I add the other stick (DIMM_B2, both are blue), there's no display, and the RAM LED remains lit. However, if I keep the timings the same, but reduce the freqs to 533 MHz, it boots and runs just fine.

With some more testing, I can run single stick at 533MHz at JEDEC timings of 7-7-7-19 in B2 (furthest from CPU), but not 800 MHz. B1 gives the same issue, A1 does not; thus the issue is the two right slots can't run the ram at 800MHz, whereas the left two slots have no issues. It seems like macro ran into a similar problem earlier, and the suggestion was to run the XMP profile, which did not solve the problem.

I haven't run any memory stress tests (memory was tested 4 months ago on initial build), nor can I swap out other ram sticks to see if its a MB or RAM problem. Currently running BIOS 1504. Any ideas?

A few things to check:

Check the DIMMs individually in the "working" slot, make sure they can run at the rated timings (use XMP) and the rated DRAM voltage. The XMP profile should set a 2N command rate, as that is what the DIMMs are rated for. If that does not help, then I can suggest a few second and third timing set adjustments. Looking at the bin, those sticks likely need some of the timings quite loose.

Only other thing I would check for is to see if the CPU socket has any misaligned pins or if the CPU cooler is warping the board.

-Raja

Omg I just bought the P8Z77-V and 3570k...just waiting on my ssd and NOW I read all the horror stories.

Ive always uses Asus but now Im a little worried.

This is a support thread, so you're likely to see a high percentage of issues in it instead of "hey, I thought I'd take time out of my day, join the forums and make this post to let everyone know my board works great!" - that's just how support threads go. The actual issue rate in comparison to how many boards are sold is minuscule.

-Raja

I'm very disappointed that Asus is giving me the run-around for my broken WS board.

I called them using the serial number right on the packaging (as per the instructions on Asus' website). Both techs tell me that the number is wrong. Unfortunately they are too lazy, too incompetent to get someone else higher up to continue the RMA process.

What's on the box is the only serial number I have since I'm away on vacation. I don't have the board in front of me. But I have to get the ball rolling.

But none of the two techs I spoke to were helpful enough to understand my situation. I've given them what's on the packaging and I cannot do any more than that at this point.

I can tell right away these guys just don't give a rat's ass. Sure, the S/N from the box may not get verified on their RMA software. But come on, if they wanted to, I'm sure they can get someone higher up to help me out.

What a waste of time.

The serializing system for Asus seems strange at times. Sometimes a serial number includes 0 (zero) and O (the letter O), so check your number very careful. You may have given them a 0 or O in place of the other...

Just my 2 cents.

Seen this but then I've found this - http://www.overclock.net/t/1288431/solved-p8z77-v-pro-cant-set-cpu-multiplier

The guy fixed the problem with AMI Flash utility. I was looking for instructions!

And YEAH! Everything is fine with multuplier and iGPU now... Thnx GOD that such guys like you exist. Appreciate. I even didn't sleep for a night cause of this...

Now last problem has left is PCI-E 1.1 or 2.0 @x1 when it's capable to run PCI-E 2.0 @x16

did it work? did the the missing options showed up? and my current bios version is 1406 to you guys advice try to flash the mobo using ami fu to v 1504?

did it work? did the the missing options showed up? and my current bios version is 1406 to you guys advice try to flash the mobo using ami fu to v 1504?

Yes! I've re-flashed my BIOS with the help of amiflash with option "Programm all blocks" and now I can see and use multiplier and iGPU... But I flashed it twice as the 1st one didn't work, and the second time it worked... Now I need to wait for new BIOS or at least BETA I'm ready to refresh microcode cause probably smth went wrong with BIOS flashback to 1206 and then back to 1504...

Now my sound doesn't work on the back panel... That's not panic and no worries about Asus as it worked fine before these jumpings with 1206 and then back to 1504 or may be my soundcard has bricked itself (5-6 years old already) but I rly rly do not wanna change to new my PCI slot soundcard which is very usefull for me and I see no point in changing it. But heh anyway if it's bricked then need to buy new (the problem not in money but in usability of PCI slot. I have lots of PCI-E devices which makes no place for any more PCI-E slots). Like that jo!

A few things to check:

Check the DIMMs individually in the "working" slot, make sure they can run at the rated timings (use XMP) and the rated DRAM voltage. The XMP profile should set a 2N command rate, as that is what the DIMMs are rated for. If that does not help, then I can suggest a few second and third timing set adjustments. Looking at the bin, those sticks likely need some of the timings quite loose.

Only other thing I would check for is to see if the CPU socket has any misaligned pins or if the CPU cooler is warping the board.

-Raja

Checked the DIMMS; I can run both at the same time in A1/A2 in single channel mode at 9-9-9-24, 2T command rate, at 1.5V (XMP settings). Found the option to disable Channel B, and both could run (this time in A2/B2) with XMP settings at 800 MHz in single-channel mode. Enabling Channel B and disabling one DIMM per channel results in same thing; limited to 533MHz for dual-channel.

Switched out the Hyper 212+ for the stock heatsink, nothing looked wrong with the pins as I switched them. Same issues remain.

This is my lack of expertise showing, but I don't see a way to distinguish whether the CPU or MB is at fault without testing the CPU in another MB. It's my assumption that since both RAM sticks can run at XMP settings in single channel, they should be able to do the same in dual channel. Since both the RAM and CPU had been running at stock settings before (at least as far as I remember), I'm inclined to blame the MB despite not being able to conclusively prove it.

I greatly appreciate the work you do here Raja, got here via google and referenced from anandtech forums, thanks.

Checked the DIMMS; I can run both at the same time in A1/A2 in single channel mode at 9-9-9-24, 2T command rate, at 1.5V (XMP settings). Found the option to disable Channel B, and both could run (this time in A2/B2) with XMP settings at 800 MHz in single-channel mode. Enabling Channel B and disabling one DIMM per channel results in same thing; limited to 533MHz for dual-channel.

Switched out the Hyper 212+ for the stock heatsink, nothing looked wrong with the pins as I switched them. Same issues remain.

This is my lack of expertise showing, but I don't see a way to distinguish whether the CPU or MB is at fault without testing the CPU in another MB. It's my assumption that since both RAM sticks can run at XMP settings in single channel, they should be able to do the same in dual channel. Since both the RAM and CPU had been running at stock settings before (at least as far as I remember), I'm inclined to blame the MB despite not being able to conclusively prove it.

I greatly appreciate the work you do here Raja, got here via google and referenced from anandtech forums, thanks.

Dual channel is more stressful than single channel. Try increasing all of the third timings by +2 and see if it helps. If it does not I'll give you more settings to try.

Set tRRD to 7 with all third timngs to 7 also. I fhtat does not help, then RMA the board.

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe with Wi-Fi installed.

Wireless is ENABLED in the BIOS.
Bluetooth is DISABLED in the BIOS.

I can't seem to get the Wi-Fi Engine or Wi-Fi Go! drivers to install. Neither the ones on the ASUS Support CD, nor the more recent ones downloaded from ASUS Support seem to work.

In Windows 7 Device Manager, the ASUS Wireless is displayed as a network device with the yellow exclamation point, so windows can 'see' the device....but the driver won't install.

Starting the Wi-Fi Driver install from the Support CD opens a window for ASUS AI Suite II with a blue grid...but nothing is listed there and the 'next' button is grayed out.

If I double click on the "Setup.exe" specifically for the Wi-Fi Engine...a window pops up that flashes by so quickly I can't read it. But it doesn't seem to be installing the driver.

I've installed the entire AI Suite II, but the Wi-Fi doesn't show up because the driver wouldn't install.

What do I need to do to get the Wi-Fi Go! Drivers to install? Do I need to enable Bluetooth in the BIOS as well as Wireless in the BIOS just to install the Wireless drivers?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ignore the above. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I didn't realize that the "Bluetooth Driver" was a "Bluetooth/Wi-Fi" driver and that if I ran that...it would install the Wi-Fi drivers and then pause before installing the bluetooth drivers to allow me to cancel out. Once I ran that...the driver installed just fine.

Last edited:
Set tRRD to 7 with all third timngs to 7 also. I fhtat does not help, then RMA the board.

Done. No luck again. I've also discovered that with the ATI 4850 in the middle x16 slot, the board fails to detect a VGA device (works fine with top and bottom slots). It also fails to detect a VGA device with no GPU PCIe card installed, even though it should be fine with just the i3570k with its integrated GPU. Thanks for the help, much easier and better than over the phone.

Done. No luck again. I've also discovered that with the ATI 4850 in the middle x16 slot, the board fails to detect a VGA device (works fine with top and bottom slots). It also fails to detect a VGA device with no GPU PCIe card installed, even though it should be fine with just the i3570k with its integrated GPU. Thanks for the help, much easier and better than over the phone.

Are you sure there are no bent pins in the CPU socket??

-Raja

I've been looking all over, can anyone help me and confirm DTS-HD and TrueHD bitstreaming out of a Z77/H77 chipset board with the intel onboard GPU?

@Raja,

What does Z77-V 1606 BIOS update? I've tried to update it twice now and it appears to go through just fine but after the reboot you get another screen saying "BIOS updating" and not to turn off the computer etc etc.

That process takes hours and actually just cycles through. Last night I left it at 20% and when I woke up this morning it was at 14%.

What is going on with this update...?

edit: ok so I killed it - when you try and boot it has CPU light red, not good. So I cleared cmon using the jumper. Then I booted up again and now it's going through the % fast and worked ok. Crazy experience.

Last edited:
I've been looking all over, can anyone help me and confirm DTS-HD and TrueHD bitstreaming out of a Z77/H77 chipset board with the intel onboard GPU?

I was bitstreaming out the onboard HDMI, but I also had a dedicated card, an ATI 4850 installed. Was using the two DVIs out the 4850, plus HDMI and VGA out the P8Z77-V (also used the S/PDIF at one point). Hate to leave you somewhat wondering, but I never played videos with DTS-HD or TrueHD into my Yamaha HTR-3064 with just the integrated GPU. On the plus side, when researching Z77/intel (ivy or sandy) CPUs for HTPC use, I never came across anything that said the combo couldn't bitstream, which would be a huge deal (and consequently well known) if the combo couldn't do it properly.

Are you sure there are no bent pins in the CPU socket??

-Raja

I checked again. They all look fine to me. I wish it would be something simple like that, simple explanation for what’s happening (would also be proof that its not other hardware or me at fault). I'll try to update this post as well as my first when I get the board back after the RMA in a few weeks.

I was bitstreaming out the onboard HDMI, but I also had a dedicated card, an ATI 4850 installed. Was using the two DVIs out the 4850, plus HDMI and VGA out the P8Z77-V (also used the S/PDIF at one point). Hate to leave you somewhat wondering, but I never played videos with DTS-HD or TrueHD into my Yamaha HTR-3064 with just the integrated GPU. On the plus side, when researching Z77/intel (ivy or sandy) CPUs for HTPC use, I never came across anything that said the combo couldn't bitstream, which would be a huge deal (and consequently well known) if the combo couldn't do it properly.

Yeah I agree the only issue is I can't find anyone that's done or said it DOES support bitstreaming, anywhere period. Not one mention of it which makes me wonder. I don't want to drop big bucks on one of these boards and it not support it though.

For the life of me I cannot get RST to show up with accelerate...

I've got 2x Sandisk 240gb ssds running off the grey (6gb) ports on my z77 vpro.. I've created a RAID0 array with it showing as a 470? gb drive.. I've installed the 11.2 rst driver but there's no accelerate menu..

The driver is showing up as 'Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller'...

what gives?

For the life of me I cannot get RST to show up with accelerate...

I've got 2x Sandisk 240gb ssds running off the grey (6gb) ports on my z77 vpro.. I've created a RAID0 array with it showing as a 470? gb drive.. I've installed the 11.2 rst driver but there's no accelerate menu..

The driver is showing up as 'Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller'...

what gives?

I think accelerate is just for the folks running their OS on a mechanical HDD and wanting to use a smaller SSD drive purely for SRT caching purposes (smart response tech). Found some discussion here:

...After some discussion with an ASUS rep on another forum and in the guide Peter pointed to, Intel requires that for use of Smart Response Technology (SRT) within RST your OS must be on either a HDD or HDD RAID (via the SATA connections I believe) and a unused SSD be available (for SSD caching). Otherwise no SRT and the Accelerate button won't appear. Don't know why Intel should care where the OS and apps are located but they've made it a requirement for use of SRT...

Source

With two 240gb ssds in a Raid 0, I'm inclined to say you probably don't need to use any caching and are good to go as is. The one thing to consider enabling in Intel's RST would be the write-back cache for your array. Just be sure to read the cautions and warnings.

Are you trying to cache a HDD in addition to running the setup your described?

I have 2x SSDs, 5x HDDs & 1 ODD.. I was hoping to cache my 3tb steam drive..

That could be an intriguing setup. Looks like someone tried to do what you want here. Basically, they partitioned their ssd and went from there. No idea if trying to partition off a raid 0 array and use such a parition for a cache will create additional complications, though.

Last edited:
Welp, having reinstalled win 7 about 20 times, the only thing I can confirm is that it doesn't like the array.. It just doesn't show up at all when you have an array plugged in, but when it's a single drive, there's no problem.. I'm a bit bummed but oh well.. I'll just do a junction point on my steam drive and move the game I'm currently playing across to the raid array..

That said, it's really hard to say no to 1000mb/sec xfer rates...

The serializing system for Asus seems strange at times. Sometimes a serial number includes 0 (zero) and O (the letter O), so check your number very careful. You may have given them a 0 or O in place of the other...

Just my 2 cents.

They said all their motherboards' S/N must contain a "m" for it to be valid.

I trusted them that what's printed on the box (the number that I copied down before I went away) is different from what's on the mobo.

Today, with the mobo physically in my hands, I see that the S/N is the exact same one as what's on the box. Thus there is no "m", period.

I'm definitely not pleased with this situation. I mean it's not my fault if the serial number can't go through. They shouldn't have let a product without a normal m-containing serial be shipped in the first place.

Hi guys, has anyone updated their p8z77-i deluxe mobo bios to 0607 version and then found the wifi is temperamental?

I updated mine and now it won't connect to my home network on start up. I accidentally worked around it by trying to connect to another secured network (which I dunno the password for), cancelling it and then try to connect to my home network again. Sometimes it takes several tries for this to work :(

Thanks in advance!

all the latest asus boards seem to have poor device compatibility. the list of reported problems keeps coming in, which is strange. it's a major regression for asus to be beaten by asrock at product quality.

I was doing it earlier successfully. World of Wonder blu-ray setup disc through Corel WinDVD 11 bitstreaming DTS-HD Master.

I have a problem with copy big files(about 1GB+) to USB flash drives, the USB flashdrive is formatted NTFS. When I begin to copy the file it says the speed is like 130MB/s(clearly wrong and unrealistic), then it hangs, then it takes very long time before it updates its progress, kinda one update per 5 minutes. During the copy I also have problem launching certain applications like Google Chrome, the computer is still fast and responsive but some application cant launch properly. Tried different USB-ports/USB-drives and the problem is same, its usb 2.0 devices, dont have any 3.0 I can try with. I dont have this problem with my usb 2.0 hardrive, the problem is only with flash devices.

Anyone heard anything like this before? Got any tip to solve it?

Windows 7
Asus P8Z77-V PRO 1504 BIOS
Intel Rapid Storage driver 11.2.0.1006 (tried older same problem)
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver: 1.0.5.235
ASMedia USB 3.0 Driver: 1.16.1.0

Last edited:
I have a problem with copy big files(about 1GB+) to USB flash drives, the USB flashdrive is formatted NTFS. When I begin to copy the file it says the speed is like 130MB/s(clearly wrong and unrealistic), then it hangs, then it takes very long time before it updates its progress, kinda one update per 5 minutes. During the copy I also have problem launching certain applications like Google Chrome, the computer is still fast and responsive but some application cant launch properly. Tried different USB-ports/USB-drives and the problem is same, its usb 2.0 devices, dont have any 3.0 I can try with. I dont have this problem with my usb 2.0 hardrive, the problem is only with flash devices.

Anyone heard anything like this before? Got any tip to solve it?

Windows 7
Asus P8Z77-V PRO 1504 BIOS
Intel Rapid Storage driver 11.2.0.1006 (tried older same problem)
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver: 1.0.5.235
ASMedia USB 3.0 Driver: 1.16.1.0

I was told by an Asus Rep on their forums that the 1504 and 1406 BIOSes introduce issues. He advised me to flash back to 1015 which I did and it has been fine ever since. He said i should wait for the next BIOS release which will fix these issues

Need help!

I updated my BIOS to the newest version (1606) and then attempted to use the AI Suite II to auto OC my 3750k. It rebooted, and continued to do so for over a half hour, sometimes locking with the GPU error LED lit and required a manual restart. After a cmos reset, the board refused to boot. I flashed back a few BIOS versions and had an error on my CPU LED. After holding mem_ok next to the ATX plug as was suggested in another forum, now I have a GPU LED error and can't seem to pass it.

Any help?

i'm concidering upgrading my m4e-z to m5e.
is there any wireless alternative?
why did asus delete the rc bluetooth function?

Last edited:
Need help!

I updated my BIOS to the newest version (1606) and then attempted to use the AI Suite II to auto OC my 3750k. It rebooted, and continued to do so for over a half hour, sometimes locking with the GPU error LED lit and required a manual restart. After a cmos reset, the board refused to boot. I flashed back a few BIOS versions and had an error on my CPU LED. After holding mem_ok next to the ATX plug as was suggested in another forum, now I have a GPU LED error and can't seem to pass it.

Any help?

Remove AC power and use a single memory module. Clear CMOS again and then power up the board and see if it will POST.

Using the "Search this thread" option searching for "Auto Tuning", this didn't give me any results, so I'm hoping it hasn't already been answered.

I just bought a Sabertooth Z77 and was expecting to find Auto Tuning on the AI Suite bar, as that's what I see pushed on the Z77 videos where Asus reps talk about nothing but this tool to overclock. However, upon installing the AI Suite, all I get is Thermal Radar and no Auto Tuning. Does Auto Tuning not support the Sabertooth Z77? Is there an update in the works?

I'm not sure if I need to install it separately as I'm used to EVGA mobos. I looked at the product pages for the Z77 motherboards on the Asus site, but no board seems to mention it at all.

Thanks!

I am having the exact same problem! How did you resolve this issue?

Remove AC power and use a single memory module. Clear CMOS again and then power up the board and see if it will POST.

I did this with no result, then re-flashed to the newest BIOS version and did so again and now have a solid POST...although now my PCI Xfi card seems to not work. This motherboard is REALLY touchy.....

Back