ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Well, I had my settings as shown in the screen shot, turned on the computer and left for work, found it off when I came home. I haven't turned it on tonight, but I turned on AIDA logging a few days ago, logging every 30 seconds, just to mainly get a ballpark idea of what time it turned off.

I'll leave the settings as is for now and pull all external devices, and plug in the plainest USB KB & mouse to see if that does anything. (as opposed to the gaming KB & mouse I'm using). Running out of things to try. If you thought it was something SSD, I could image to a HDD and use that for a system drive to test, or I could still try those 4x2GB Dominators that I didn't have issues with in my P55 system.

Check the event log for any timeouts or error reports. Are you using any IRST drivers?7

BTW 4X Hyper modules don't work very well on anything past P55.

Last edited:
Hi Raja, the same problems were with the my old spinner (hdd which was used for like 4 years without any problems) and ram was rock stable with all C options enabled in my friends pc for over 2 months (ahis motherboard is asrock extreme4 gen3, never overclocked)( bought my stick from him because he upgraded to 32gb). And I see these reboot/shut off problems with all sorts of different ram modules.

And event manager shows no problems whatsoever, that was the first thing thing I checked. Its goes like this - ok, ok , ok, it just shuts off or reboots. Now with C states disabled it is working flawlessly. Yes I am using intel rapid storage drivers, how it could cause whole system to act that way without any info in event manager?

Last edited:
And event manager shows no problems whatsoever, that was the first thing thing I checked. Its goes like this - ok, ok , ok, it just shuts off or reboots. Now with C states disabled it is working flawlessly. Yes I am using intel rapid storage drivers, how it could cause whole system to act that way without any info in event manager?

If the even happens during a low power state there may be no event logging because the system crashes before the error can be logged.

Try an installation with native MS AHCI drivers. IRST can be buggy. You may need to reinstall Windows unless you can delete all the IRST folders and files, otherwise Windows tends to revert to IRST.

One other thing I can think of to try is setting "hot Plug" to enabled in UEFI on the SATA ports that you have your drive/s plugged in to.

Well, all my hopes crashed and burned as this morning I found the pc rebooted to windows. It seems C-states off help in having longer operating times, but don't fix the problem completely.
If I remember correctly, I didn't install IRSD.
Raja do you have news if they're working on this issue at the HQ? Possibly a bios fix?

Ah! Immediatley after writing the previous post, I got a BSOD saying it was caused by "memory management".
I'll try to stick with just one ram module.
I'm really discouraged :(

If I remember correctly, I didn't install IRSD.
Raja do you have news if they're working on this issue at the HQ? Possibly a bios fix?

Not that I am aware of, unless they can replicate. Not had many cases myself. Things like this can have a lot of variables.

Can you save screenshots of the DRAM pages in UEFI, I would like to see what the board is defaulting to.

-Raja

Hello again,

just upgraded from that pesky P8P67 rev B2, after it got busted, to P8Z77-V. Things are working fine, but couple of questions.

First, what (or why to be more precise) the heck is "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" with two ATA Channels in W7 Device Manager? As far as I can tell this board does not have PATA-controllers. And Asmedia SATA controller is also disabled.

Second, UEFI has an option to enable/disable Firewire controller, as far as I can tell this is also something that doesn't even exist in this MB.

And Windows is fresh install.

edit: and updated bios from 0704 (thought 0801 was the first?) to 0906 before installing Windows.

edit2: seems that this oddball is indeed that Asmedia SATA-controller. So Asus UEFI is "quite" not fully functional just yet since controller is supposed to be disabled.

Last edited:
FAT32 formatted flash drive, press F12 in UEFI to take a screen capture. Convert to JPEG in Windows then upload here :)

Also, regarding the wifi/BT light, I confirmed the BT and wifi is disabled in BIOS, the blue light is currently lit on the module. I did have the BT SW installed at one point, I thought I removed it. Looking in device manager, I do see a listing for a "Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter", so I assume that's SW generated? That and the Intel gigabit NIC are the only Network adapters listed.

My light is still on, and I never installed any Bluetooth or Wifi software. The only NIC I see in device manager is the Intel NIC (since I have the second one disabled in the BIOS).

If the even happens during a low power state there may be no event logging because the system crashes before the error can be logged.

Try an installation with native MS AHCI drivers. IRST can be buggy. You may need to reinstall Windows unless you can delete all the IRST folders and files, otherwise Windows tends to revert to IRST.

One other thing I can think of to try is setting "hot Plug" to enabled in UEFI on the SATA ports that you have your drive/s plugged in to.

I forget, what's the way you check which drivers are installed? I don't think I installed IRST, but I want to check. If I go into device manager, then do the properties of the ATA Channel 0...3, under driver it says MS, if I do properties on the Intel 7 series...AHCI controller, for driver it says the provider is Intel, digital signer is MS windows hardware compatibility publisher.

Hello everyone,

I have the -V mobo. For some reason, it takes around 10-15 sec from pressing the power to showing the POST screen. Is this normal for Asus mobo?

I asked this in another forum and someone said it could be because of the RAM slots getting populated. Yea, they're populated but it shouldn't increase the time that long. I was expecting less than 10 sec (ideally around 5 sec) from pushing power button to showing POST, since coming from an HP desktop that POST in around 5 sec (with all 4 RAM slots populated...4x2GB though).

Can someone suggest some things to do to speed up POST?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have the -V mobo. For some reason, it takes around 10-15 sec from pressing the power to showing the POST screen. Is this normal for Asus mobo?

I asked this in another forum and someone said it could be because of the RAM slots getting populated. Yea, they're populated but it shouldn't increase the time that long. I was expecting less than 10 sec (ideally around 5 sec) from pushing power button to showing POST, since coming from an HP desktop that POST in around 5 sec (with all 4 RAM slots populated...4x2GB though).

Can someone suggest some things to do to speed up POST?

From the time I press power until Windows login screen is about 15 seconds total. The POST part is 6 seconds and Windows loading is 9 seconds (could be the other way around, can't remember), but it's fast. This is on an V-Pro with the latest BIOS.

My config:

Onboard audio disabled
ASMedia SATA3 enabled
ASMedia USB3 enabled

I am very impressed with the boot performance on this config. It's a bit faster if I have the ASMedia SATA3 disabled but I use it for an eSATA enclosure for backup.

Overall I have had zero issues with this board, other than the ASMedia SATA ports not working properly with hot swap using my external enclosure, haven't been able to solve that yet. Very impressed with this board from a hardware, UEFI and Windows software perspective, the new Ai Suite is so much better than the older stuff, having everything in one place is awesome, and Fan Xpert 2 rocks (and starts as a service!).

For me,

Pushing power --> POST (10-15 sec)
After POST --> Windows login (~5 sec)

Kinda sad that the motherboard POST is slower than Windows loading....

For me,

Pushing power --> POST (10-15 sec)
After POST --> Windows login (~5 sec)

Kinda sad that the motherboard POST is slower than Windows loading....

You don't say what you have plugged into your motherboard. Cards, drives, CD/DVD in a drive?

Hello Friends,

Bit puzzled why an Adata Sx900 128GB SSD shows only 3gb speed when connected to the black controller (Asmedia) on my Sabretooth Z77 mobo. I have since installed it to the brown Intel controller and bios shows as 6gb like it should. Both these controllers are Sata3 are they not ?

And not so important but a little anoying, and Teiji noted, the slow post times inparticualar cold boot. I am on vacation right not so im going on memory. I have both intel and asmedia controllers enabled, disabled logo, and set that 1 sec setting for which i can't get the name as i am unable to look at my system. Still takes a while. I have seen other mobo users post lightning boot times (maybe they are resuming from sleep though and not cold booting?) I too would like to speed up the post process and perhaps ive missed something. Seems like also there is some micro controller posting info about my optical drive and other HDD during post as well and slows the process down as well.

Thanyou for your attention :)

Last edited:
You don't say what you have plugged into your motherboard. Cards, drives, CD/DVD in a drive?

All the stuff that's plugged in are in my sig:

Asus P8Z77-V (BIOS 0906) | Intel i7-3770K @ 4.4Ghz | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 (4x4GB) | nVidia GTX 550 Ti | OCZ ZT 650W | Crucial m4 128GB SSD | Hitachi 1TB HDD | Asus SATA DVD Drive DRW-24B1ST | CM Hyper 212+ | CM Storm Enforcer | Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE monitor

Thanks for making yourself available here.

Do you know if the P8Z77-V Pro board comes with an expansion card containing an eSATA port (plus USB ports)? I've seen pictures showing it, but the parts list/spec doesn't seem to show it.

Thanks
Hi Grambo. I have just installed the Asus P8Z77-V Pro and no it doesn't have any eSata ports. I have a eSata bracket in mine connected to one Light Blue Sata connector. I have 2 eSata external hdd enclosures and 2 USB3 enclosures. I have to connect 1 eSata enclosure to USB2 as I have 2 internal HDD's and a DVD burner. I dont know if I can connect a eSata external device to one of the Grey connectors.

After 5 years, I am ready to build myself a new system. The Q6600 G0 has served me ridiculously well along with the Asus P5K Deluxe. This board (or the Deluxe) along with an i7 Ivy Bridge cpu is likely what I'll go with. One question, though. Would this board be just as stable with DDR3-2133 ram as it would be with DDR3-1600? Is there a reason why anything over 1600 is considered O.C. even though faster ram is available and supported? Been wondering about that for a while and have been sorely out of the loop.

Thanks.

Hello Friends,

Bit puzzled why an Adata Sx900 128GB SSD shows only 3gb speed when connected to the black controller (Asmedia) on my Sabretooth Z77 mobo. I have since installed it to the brown Intel controller and bios shows as 6gb like it should. Both these controllers are Sata3 are they not ?

Thanyou for your attention :)

Check out page 2-3 in the manual and pages 2-17,18,19. The black connectors are 3 Gbps ports on the Intel chipset. The ASMedia ports are the two grey ones. The two brown ports (Intel) and two grey ports (ASMedia) are SATA 3.0 (6 Gbps).

Raja, here's the screenshots you asked me for:

/QUOTE]

Okay cool. Before we make any changes here, do you now have Hot Plug Enabled on the SATA ports your drives are connected to? And if so what difference has it made?

-Raja

Okay cool. Before we make any changes here, do you now have Hot Plug Enabled on the SATA ports your drives are connected to? And if so what difference has it made?

-Raja

Yes I have it eneabled since the first moment. I always had it enabled and always had (and still have) reboots and shut downs (the last one was tonight, this morning I found the pc shut down and had to turn off the psu). :(
Now I removed the XMP setting and put it on auto, the ram starts at 1333mhz. Let's see if it makes any difference.

It's getting very very annoying because I can't trust my pc to keep working as long as I need it to and moreover this makes me feel "uncomfortable" even when I use it for simple tasks because I always have the fear it could turn off or reboot all of a sudden... :mad:
Not to mention the bad feeling it gives you to see your new machine running in a crippled down fashion (underclocked cpu & ram, half ram modules, power saving features disabled etc...) while it should run like a formula 1 car...
I'm grateful for your help Raja, but I hope they start to investigate seriously on this issue at the HQ for all of us who are in the same situation, or just offer us a solution (substitution of the board with a full working one, for example).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes I have it eneabled since the first moment. I always had it enabled and always had (and still have) reboots and shut downs (the last one was tonight, this morning I found the pc shut down and had to turn off the psu). :(
Now I removed the XMP setting and put it on auto, the ram starts at 1333mhz. Let's see if it makes any difference.

It's getting very very annoying because I can't trust my pc to keep working as long as I need it to and moreover this makes me feel "uncomfortable" even when I use it for simple tasks because I always have the fear it could turn off or reboot all of a sudden... :mad:
Not to mention the bad feeling it gives you to see your new machine running in a crippled down fashion (underclocked cpu & ram, half ram modules, power saving features disabled etc...) while it should run like a formula 1 car...
I'm grateful for your help Raja, but I hope they start to investigate seriously on this issue at the HQ for all of us who are in the same situation, or just offer us a solution (substitution of the board with a full working one, for example).

Thank you!

What's Corsair's specified DRAM voltage for those modules and what is the board defaulting to with or without XMP at DDR3-1600?

What's Corsair's specified DRAM voltage for those modules and what is the board defaulting to with or without XMP at DDR3-1600?

The default voltage is 1.50. On auto the ram boots at 1333, with XMP it goes at 1600. They sell it as 1600 cl9. In both cases the voltage is 1.5v.

Last edited:
My Gskill X will default to 9-9-9-24 1300 @ 1.5V.
I think any DDR 3 initial install will be at correct CL + 1300 + 1.5V
After that either set it to XPM, if that is supported, or just manually set rated Freq and V.
Shouldn't rly play with anything else....that much :D

Just to update
I'm running 1 mem module, still will not POST with 2 installed.
I've gone ahead and tested with 2 other mem modules known to be woking.
Same result, slot 1 populated = POST, anything in slot 2 = no POST, mem OK LED red.

Shut off issue presists. SSD or HDD, AHCI or IDE mode.
Power savings enabled / disabled, Speed step off / on, FanXpert installed.
Didn't seem to make any diff.

I'm leaning towards Sabertooth myself.
If this goes bad and I can't RMA, thats what I'm geting.
Lets face it folks, I build computers for fun, every once in a while things go wrong.
Sometimes I even have to take a hit. Not the first time, will not be the last.
Macro

Last edited:
After 5 years, I am ready to build myself a new system. The Q6600 G0 has served me ridiculously well along with the Asus P5K Deluxe. This board (or the Deluxe) along with an i7 Ivy Bridge cpu is likely what I'll go with. One question, though. Would this board be just as stable with DDR3-2133 ram as it would be with DDR3-1600? Is there a reason why anything over 1600 is considered O.C. even though faster ram is available and supported? Been wondering about that for a while and have been sorely out of the loop.

Thanks.

Honestly, 1600 is all you need. You wont see any justifiable difference in real-world performance to go higher.

Raja, why does the Wake up and Sleep so long on Z77. It takes around 20 sec vs P67 5 sec???

My config:
> CPU Intel i7-2600k 4.2 Ghz XMP Profile 1.220v
> Case Thermaltake VH6000BWS
> Asus P8Z77-V Pro Bios 1015
> Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) 2x4Gb 1600Mhz 1.5v XMP 8-8-8-24
> EVGA GTX 570 Super Clocked 870/2000/1.088v
> Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Pro Champion Series – driver 2.18.0015a
> Visiontek Killer 2100 NIC card – driver 6.1.0.315
> Corsair Hydro H70 with Enermax Everest x2 coolers
> Port 3 Sony Optiarc AD-7260S firmware 1.03
> Port 2 HDD WD 2Tb Black Caviar (logical disk for video recordings)
> Port 1 SSD OCZ Vertex 3 60Gb (main for OS) FW 2.22
> Acer GN245HQ 3D monitor with 120Hz
> PSU Enermax MaxRevo 1350Wts
> SteelPad 9HD
> Coolers 2xEnermax T.B. Silence, 2xEnermax T.B. Vegas Duo in case

Win7x64 SP1

Tonight I got back from work and again found the pc off. Ram was set to 1333mhz.
Still no way to get out of this nightmare...

So I decided to test my sleep today, and when I wake it up, it freezes at a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can't move. I press reset on my case and it turns the whole thing off, then on at "Resuming Windows" (so I guess it's not an improper shutdown.), but freezes at the desktop right after.

I'm overclocked at 4.4Ghz. I also tried disable Internal Overvoltage, but the problem is still there. I'm on BIOS 1015.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: After doing various tests: disabling hibernate, turning Internal PLL Overvoltage to Auto & Disabled, pressing the keyboard to wake up, pressing the power button to wake up, etc., it's still the same. It'll either wake up from a black screen (mouse & keyboard unresponsive) or wake up and freezes (indefinitely) at desktop (while mouse & keyboard is responsive). So, I gave up. I just won't bother with Sleep anymore, since I'm using an SSD. I did a research and this common problem has existed for the P67, Z68, and now Z77 mobos, and Asus still hasn't fix it. I wonder if Gigabyte also has this problem. If not, in my next future build, I will use them instead.

Last edited:
All the stuff that's plugged in are in my sig:

Asus P8Z77-V (BIOS 0906) | Intel i7-3770K @ 4.4Ghz | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 (4x4GB) | nVidia GTX 550 Ti | OCZ ZT 650W | Crucial m4 128GB SSD | Hitachi 1TB HDD | Asus SATA DVD Drive DRW-24B1ST | CM Hyper 212+ | CM Storm Enforcer | Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 SE monitor

OK, just timed mine and it takes 22 seconds from power-on to when the POST appears to be finished. I think that's longer than you were talking about. I didn't really think anything of it. I have the following:

To compare to yours, I have a P8Z77-V (BIOS 0906), i5-3570K @ stock, 8 GB RAM @1600, 8800GT, Intel 80 G2 SSD, Hitachi 250 GB from 2004 (slow, slow), no DVD.

I'm still playing with this machine. The video card and drives came off my shelf. I plan to use this SSD for caching, and I've configured it that way, which includes RAID mode. I think RAID mode slows things down because of the RAID Option ROM banner, and there is a Post Report feature in the UEFI Boot settings set at 5 seconds.

If you want to see how fast you can possibly boot, I'd say unplug the HDD, the DVD-ROM, use AHCI mode, Post Report to the ESC option, and time that. Without making any changes, it takes about 15 seconds before the ESC prompt is displayed on my system. I don't want to disable RAID as long as I have this caching setup, so I don't know what effect that would have.

So I decided to test my sleep today, and when I wake it up, it freezes at a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can't move. I press reset on my case and it turns the whole thing off, then on at "Resuming Windows" (so I guess it's not an improper shutdown.), but freezes at the desktop right after.

I'm overclocked at 4.4Ghz. I also tried disable Internal Overvoltage, but the problem is still there. I'm on BIOS 1015.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: After doing various tests: disabling hibernate, turning Internal PLL Overvoltage to Auto & Disabled, pressing the keyboard to wake up, pressing the power button to wake up, etc., it's still the same. It'll either wake up from a black screen (mouse & keyboard unresponsive) or wake up and freezes (indefinitely) at desktop (while mouse & keyboard is responsive). So, I gave up. I just won't bother with Sleep anymore, since I'm using an SSD. I did a research and this common problem has existed for the P67, Z68, and now Z77 mobos, and Asus still hasn't fix it. I wonder if Gigabyte also has this problem. If not, in my next future build, I will use them instead.

Return the system to stock parameters to debug this. If the system passes at stock the issue lies somewhere within the overclock settings. If not, then some kind of peripheral/driver problem.

-Raja

Tonight I got back from work and again found the pc off. Ram was set to 1333mhz.
Still no way to get out of this nightmare...

Sounds like some kind of driver issue OR SSD firmware problem (even the latest FW may have a bug), especially if it is happening at DDR3-1333 on DDR3-1600 rated memory. Only other thing is unless one of the DIMMs is faulty. This isn't common so I am weighing up all the variables that could lead to it.

The memory sub-timings you can try relaxing are:

tRR(SR) 6
tRW (SR) 6
tWW (SR) 6

You asked earlier about IRST drivers, Device manager will show Microsoft as the driver vendor instead of Intel if you have not installed them.

Last thing is to try a board RMA, if that does not work then I would say there is a component fault somewhere on your end.

-Raja

Raja, why does the Wake up and Sleep so long on Z77. It takes around 20 sec vs P67 5 sec???

My config:
> CPU Intel i7-2600k 4.2 Ghz XMP Profile 1.220v
> Case Thermaltake VH6000BWS
> Asus P8Z77-V Pro Bios 1015
> Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) 2x4Gb 1600Mhz 1.5v XMP 8-8-8-24
> EVGA GTX 570 Super Clocked 870/2000/1.088v
> Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Pro Champion Series – driver 2.18.0015a
> Visiontek Killer 2100 NIC card – driver 6.1.0.315
> Corsair Hydro H70 with Enermax Everest x2 coolers
> Port 3 Sony Optiarc AD-7260S firmware 1.03
> Port 2 HDD WD 2Tb Black Caviar (logical disk for video recordings)
> Port 1 SSD OCZ Vertex 3 60Gb (main for OS) FW 2.22
> Acer GN245HQ 3D monitor with 120Hz
> PSU Enermax MaxRevo 1350Wts
> SteelPad 9HD
> Coolers 2xEnermax T.B. Silence, 2xEnermax T.B. Vegas Duo in case

Win7x64 SP1

Are you asking about wake from S3, or from hibernate to desktop?

To be honest I have no real idea, it varies from system to system according to what the user has installed, drivers, caching etc etc.

-Raja

My system still turned off with only a MS original Natural kb and some cheapy MS mouse plugged in externally. (well, besides DVI, ethernet, headphone, and power)

Decided for grins to remove the Samsung and put the old Dominators back in, did a F5 in BIOS, so I'm back to default settings other than the few onboard devices disabled. Corsair SSD is still unplugged at the moment.

My system still turned off with only a MS original Natural kb and some cheapy MS mouse plugged in externally. (well, besides DVI, ethernet, headphone, and power)

Decided for grins to remove the Samsung and put the old Dominators back in, did a F5 in BIOS, so I'm back to default settings other than the few onboard devices disabled. Corsair SSD is still unplugged at the moment.

I assume it is a fresh install with no additional drivers etc?

EDIT: One thing to try, can you offset CPU Vcore by around +0.02V please?

-Raja

Last edited:
Back