Asus Z270-WS triple boot when PCIEX4 in X2 mode

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Got an Asus Z270-WS that when I boot it up cold will take three-four attempts to startup before it loads Windows. I noticed that I can fix that by setting its PCIEX4 slot to X4 operation knowing that I will lose USB 3.1 front ports unless I set it to X2 operation in which it will go through a multi-post cycle when powered down. Starting up from when the motherboard is warm is easy and fast.

Not only that say that I'm in X4 mode Windows Device manager will randomly fail trying to enable the disabled USB 3.1 port and get an error message in device manager that device can not start or something like that. So not sure whats up with this motherboard but its a problem.

Anyone experience this issue?

Thanks

I ran into an issue a couple weeks back where my PC would do something similar where it would take multiple attempts before it would be able to load Windows. It didn't have any obvious post errors or any useful MB diagnostic codes. Once in Windows it would experience the occasional glitchiness as well.
What it ended up being is that I had two different brands of memory installed and one of the memory pairs had a higher voltage than the other. I wanted to mention it in case that is a factor here instead of a PCIEX slot configuration issue.

I actually recently replaced the memory sticks with another brand and no change in behavior.

Back