Hi all !
I'm having a project in mind.
Presently, I have a SupremeFX sound card sol with my Maximus Formula motherboard.
This sound card is link to a Sony stereo system (120w total, 60w per channel). The amplifier of this stereo system is playing weaker with time. It has now over 8 years of operation.
I also own a XM satellite radio receiver, the XMP3, which, I find, is not very well amplified.
I want to upgrade the whole thing.
I think that upgrading the sound card would be a good start.
So I started to compare some models. The usage in only for music, no gaming at all. The wires used are RCA to link my PC to the sound system (presently I have a mini-jack to RCA adapter). I noticed the M-Audio 2496, but it's in PCI. For future upgrade purposes, I consider that opting for a PCI-Express x1 card is more future proof.
So comes the Asus Xonar STX. Pricey, but it seems to be the best in range. And it's a long term buying. It has RCA line out and a line-in mini-jack.
I know that a good sound card is nothing if there's no speaker. That's why I plan to upgrade my stereo system with an amplifier. I've taken a look to a 100-200w stereo amplifier though. Many has told me to go through this setup instead of a home theater. The only thing is that the amplifier will manly be in operation all day long since it's connected to the computer and the radio, which not very economic on the cost of energy...
Do you have some amplifiers to recommend to me ? Maximum 250 bucks.
I would connect my satellite radio in the sound card to get a better sound. Is that a good idea ? Would the sound be amplified a little more ?
What do you think about this setup ? Is the Asus Xonar good for that ?
So, just to wrap up things, do you recommend me to only upgrade my sound card for the moment (the stage one out of three of my upgrade process) or to keep my SupremeFX card and upgrade directly my amplifier ? I think that upgrading my sound card would bring me a better sound for the moment (especially for my satellite radio) , and then, later, upgrade my amplifier when I'll be really tired of it.... How do you find this idea ?
Another question : if eventually I put four speakers to an amplifier, will the sound card be correct for this usage (since it's mainly a stereo analog sound card). I think it will be ok, but I just want to be sure...
Thanks a lot !
I'm having a project in mind.
Presently, I have a SupremeFX sound card sol with my Maximus Formula motherboard.
This sound card is link to a Sony stereo system (120w total, 60w per channel). The amplifier of this stereo system is playing weaker with time. It has now over 8 years of operation.
I also own a XM satellite radio receiver, the XMP3, which, I find, is not very well amplified.
I want to upgrade the whole thing.
I think that upgrading the sound card would be a good start.
So I started to compare some models. The usage in only for music, no gaming at all. The wires used are RCA to link my PC to the sound system (presently I have a mini-jack to RCA adapter). I noticed the M-Audio 2496, but it's in PCI. For future upgrade purposes, I consider that opting for a PCI-Express x1 card is more future proof.
So comes the Asus Xonar STX. Pricey, but it seems to be the best in range. And it's a long term buying. It has RCA line out and a line-in mini-jack.
I know that a good sound card is nothing if there's no speaker. That's why I plan to upgrade my stereo system with an amplifier. I've taken a look to a 100-200w stereo amplifier though. Many has told me to go through this setup instead of a home theater. The only thing is that the amplifier will manly be in operation all day long since it's connected to the computer and the radio, which not very economic on the cost of energy...
Do you have some amplifiers to recommend to me ? Maximum 250 bucks.
I would connect my satellite radio in the sound card to get a better sound. Is that a good idea ? Would the sound be amplified a little more ?
What do you think about this setup ? Is the Asus Xonar good for that ?
So, just to wrap up things, do you recommend me to only upgrade my sound card for the moment (the stage one out of three of my upgrade process) or to keep my SupremeFX card and upgrade directly my amplifier ? I think that upgrading my sound card would bring me a better sound for the moment (especially for my satellite radio) , and then, later, upgrade my amplifier when I'll be really tired of it.... How do you find this idea ?
Another question : if eventually I put four speakers to an amplifier, will the sound card be correct for this usage (since it's mainly a stereo analog sound card). I think it will be ok, but I just want to be sure...
Thanks a lot !
Last edited: