Asus Xonar Essence STX operation questions

anonapon

n00b
Hi,

I'm looking for a sound card that will work well with a lot of switching between 2 channel FLAC and MP3 audio sent via PCM, multichannel audio, multichannel video streams, and encode streams for multichannel audio in games, and every review talks about the need to set the frequency and the number of channels for each piece of content that's about to be played, and I'm wondering if that's true, or still true if driver updates have fixed it, when movie and game streams are going to be sent over SPDIF. Do you have to set the frequency and number of channels in the video and game's audio stream? If you do, doesn't that violate the purpose of using SPDIF to transport the audio stream untouched? When you're done watching the video, do you have to go back into the settings to change anything if you want to start listening to bitstreamed 2 channel PCM audio?

Reviews aren't always clear if all the manual switching is required only when outputting analog, or if it's also during digital. Also, some talk about the improvements in the more recent drivers, at, for instance, bitstreamed audio, but don't mention how they affect the switching issue. I'm okay with manually turning on and off something like Dolby Digital Live for games, but everything else I would like to be sent correctly when it's played without identifying and manually setting its frequency and channels first.

For one other question, what happens when you play 2 things at once? For instance, what happens if you're outputting 7.1 Dolby Digital Live audio from a game while also playing 2 channel music? Is the music be folded into the DD stream and played correctly (the fact that the music wouldn't be bit-perfect in this case is fine) or will there be an error or conflict of some kind? How about an AC3 video while playing the game? Again, decoding and reencoding into a single DDL stream would be fine, as would performing a couple manual settings changes if necessary.

I should add, I'm looking at the Asus Xonar Essence STX because some audiophile sites say it does really well with PCM. If there's another card I should use, please let me know. The Creative Titanium gets good reviews, including at [H], in part because it doesn't require constant manual intervention, but I would have a hard time getting another Creative card after a history of them causing conflicts and crashes going back almost 2 decades.

Many thanks.

In my original question was clouded somewhat by my confusion over PCM audio and what I'm actually looking for. Between bitstreaming, kernel streaming, WASAPI, ASIO, PCM, and more, I'm not sure which term I'm really looking for, only which capability. All I know is that I want my FLAC, which has the good sense to start off bit-perfect compared to its source, to arrive at an external preamp/processor still bit-perfect, without any lossy compression or conversion, or DSPs applied to it; the pre-encoded audio streams of video files (AC3/DD, DTS) to arrive similarly untouched; the multichannel audio streams of games, which are usually outputted as analog, to be encoded as AC3 or DTS, possibly while some 2 channel audio or video is also playing, and sent to the preamp/processor with some lossiness perfectly acceptable; without tons of never-ending manual settings changes.

Anyway, in order to make this thread of somewhat use to other people, here is a review using more recent drivers than many other reviews, although two further updates have been released subsequent to its posting, which indicates that the Xonar Essence STX is now capable of at least some automatic frequency identification and switching. It should be noted that he is using a Mac (nothing wrong with that, just noting it for specificity), and is not at all examining multichannel audio encoding or pass-thru, but at least it's some indication, however bare-bones. It's still better than, for instance, what you can find in the Asus manual, which doesn't provide much detail and has never been updated.

NOTE: When using the Kernel Streaming output mode make sure to select ASUS Xonar Essence STX Digital not ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio as the output device (graphic). Audio is equal to analog in the Kernel Streaming settings. If the incorrect device is selected the digital output will still send audio to an external DAC. However the audio will be resampled and the sample rate will not change automatically when switching between standard and higher resolution music.

I'm trying to find out if Dolby Headphone can be sent out the Xonar's digital connection using PCM.

Back