Phide, what do you think of the Waves Effects accelrators?
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=336
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=336
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
A lot of people will buy it if it supports EAXPhide, what do you think of the Waves Effects accelrators?
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=336
Doesn't really matter. The transport will wait for external units. It's not as if you're going to be using this stuff while tracking, and setting a higher latency (or forcing a wait) gives you a little extra breathing room on the chips.1024 samples!!!
Mixing is a fairly simple task. It requires adequate bandwidth, and adequate precision, but it's not compute intensive. DSP in itself is not intensive, but as precision goes up, and as the algorithms grow more complex, intensiveness rises exponentially.Games' audio is simple because most of the sound are already mixed beforehand, the musics are already mixed and other sounds too.
Actually, games based on the Lithtech 2 engine (Shogo: Mobile Armor Division and Blood 2) mixed music in a semi-real-time manner, allowing for on-beat transitions during gameplay. This was a software process. As I said, mixing in itself isn't compute intensive.If the musics need to be mixed during gameplay, I don't think that X-Fi is up to the task too.
That's probably why I didn't make that comparison. If you think you see me saying something stupid, make sure you read again, because I don't say stupid things. It simply doesn't happen.Compairing a GPU and a sound card's DSP in games is laughable.
Firstly, your perspective on the issue is completely backwards.
Hardware-based sound cards do not accelerate games, they simply diminish the performance impact of utilizing sound over a fully-software or partial-hardware solution. You cannot under any circumstance achieve greater performance with a hardware-based solution than you would by simply disabling sound.
Again -- they don't accelerate the game, they diminish the CPU load required to reproduce sound. They accelerate audio tasks, not the game itself.
Secondly, why can't a sound card perform both hardware acceleration and improve sound quality? This is precisely what many past Sound Blaster cards have done, and it seems as if you think that the cards would be better without hardware components whose sole purpose is accelerating sound-related functions. Why?
To not pursue some sort of hardware acceleration, whether it be strictly buffer acceleration or fully-blown DSP, is patently silly. The dominant Creative Labs has tackled this in precisely the wrong way (pursuing the advancement of game sound in an anti-consumer manner), but that doesn't mean that hardware acceleration is wrong.
We can do phenomenal effects on modern multi-core CPUs without substantial performance hits, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that's something we should do until the end of time.
A sound card should be used to get better sound, not accelerate the game being played. Although DSP does take away clock cycles from the CPU so frame rates go up, what good would a DSP be if it did not help in creating good sound?
Kmat
I'm not fighting anyone. You seemed to have based your opinion upon an incorrect assumption, so I wanted to make sure you understand exactly how it all works, so that you may possibly reevaluate your opinion. If you simply misspoke, then that's something else.Who are you trying fight here? Not me because I am not interested.
Awesome. Waiting to hear news on price and performance.
I swore after purchasing an X-Fi with an NF4 board I'd never buy another Creative product again.
Someone at Guru3D posted this:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/03/16/sounds_of_asus_heard_in_hannover/
Earlier this year, the company re-entered the graphics market with a GeForce 8800 GTX that's backed up with a lifetime warranty.
Didn't ASUS say the purposly left EAX out of the card, opting instead for other technologies? I think they are figuring alot of game houses will be moving away from EAX for the PC only games and instead going for a game engine approach that can easily be moved between platforms for both audio and video. That is the way I understand things...
The Asus rep we spoke to expects the card to retail at a similar price to Creative's X-Fi Extreme Gamer cards.
All that work and you missed one.![]()
Kmat, I can understand what you are saying well enough. Stand alone sound cards should give us better sound. But why can't we ask for hardware accelerated audio as well? Remember, hardware acceleration of sound is not just to squeeze a few extra frames per second out of a game. With it you can have a large number of incredibly complex sounds playing all at once. I didn't really know what the big deal with X-Fi cards was until I played UT2004 with the X-Fi patch. It really makes for a more enjoyable experience; at least to me it does.
Are Phide, Donnie and you the Audio Gurus in this forum? I been looking at the post in this forum and you three know alot. Is audio your profession?
Kmat