ASUS X79 Motherboard CPU question

buzzfunk

n00b
Hey guys

I do not post much here but i do value everyone's opinion and suggestions :D

I currently run a ASUS X79 Motherboard with a 3.30GHz Intel Core i7-3960X (6 cores
12 threads) and running out of CPU power. I mainly do music production with it so i was wondering if there's a way to upgrade the CPU without having to build a brand new system.

thanks in advance!

If you actually use one of the WS boards, you could upgrade to a recent XEON E5 v2, for up to 12 cores. Otherwise, I think on the i7 side you are already (almost) maxed out, so a 4960X wouldn't help too much imho.

@buzzfunk

What OS are you on? How much memory do you have?

I wonder if your system has a low amount of memory, and thus your CPU is feeling like it maxed.

I was also going to suggest moving to Windows 8. It improves the processing and the scheduling of the cores on a cpu. About 3%-5%. Better than nothing.

If you need more multithreading performance, then yes - Xeon is the only way left to go. As mentioned already though, unless you specifically have a WS board which advertises Xeon support, you will find that "vanilla" X79 boards (like the Rampage IV) do not work with Xeon processors, despite the socket compatibility. Just a heads-up, as I've read stories of people getting stung by Xeons not working on their standard X79 boards.

Back