ASUS VW266H

I currently have a 19 inch "Gem" (Yeah, I never heard of them either) 1280x1024 display.

I work at home (real job) and also do a lot of work at FileFront on their forums, network, etc... and frankly this tiny screen just isn't cutting it anymore.

I only have a 8800GT GPU, so I know gaming at higher resolutions isn't going to work out until I upgrade my GPU, but for every day use I need a bigger monitor.

On NewEgg they have the ASUS VW266H, which is a 25.5" 1920 x 1200 monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047

Is anyone here familiar with ASUS brand monitors? I won't be using the built in speakers, so they arn't really a factor. I do plan to upgrade my GPU at some point to either a 5850/5870 or GTX470 (depending on price) so that should make gaming at 1920 x 1200 easier (or, if I win the Gulftown system *crosses fingers* it won't matter)

NewEgg also has this Hanns-G monitor, which is larger at 28"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043

Which would you go with?

Last edited:
Go with the Asus. It's a good monitor (for a TN panel...) and Asus service is very good. In my experience, if you have the choice between a slightly small screen that's better quality vs. a larger screen that questionable quality, always opt for the smaller.

I had two of the Hanns-Gs for a month and they were cheap junk. View angles were god awful, less than 15 degres. I also found the single, hdmi input limiting.

From reading some of the other threads around here (specifically this thread) I think I'll go with the ASUS...

Plus, I doubt I'd have room for a 28" monitor, plus the ASUS is a little cheaper (with the mail-in rebate)

Though, does the ASUS have 1:1 Pixel mapping?? Until I can upgrade my card I still will probably game at a lower res

I read some user comment(s) that the vw246h is slightly better than the vw266h. Is this true? Not that I'm surprised since the 24incher is smaller in size, but just wanted to know if the differences are apparent.

The VW246H is 1920 x 1080 though, I'd like the 1900x1200 if possible, but I'm not hugely picky.

I just want something that gives me the most screen space for my money (due to my job, I have a lot of information displayed and I hate having to constantly scroll side to side and up/down) and the best gaming experience (I know I need a better GPU to game at that level, it's coming at some point)

If it helps swing your decision...you can get this monitor for $233.49 shipped (after a $30 rebate and bing cashback) at tigerdirect today...I'm debating between this monitor and holding out for an IPS panel myself...argh it's so hard to decide.

I've had this monitor quite awhile and its wonderful but since I'm gonna get another U2410 I'm looking to sell it , have the original box and most of the cables , its in brand new condition. I'll get it rid of it cheap for whoever is interested (say 150). PM me.

Well, just hooked up the ASUS and I am glad I did not get the 28" Hanns because I barely have room enough for this one, it's massive and looks brilliant. Had to town down the brightness before my eyes started to hurt.

Other than that, no dead pixels, no problems.

Back