Asus VW266H - oh my god

Transition

Limp Gawd
Man - i really screwed up. I bought two of these VW266H monitors and the picture is hideous. The colors are absolutely terrible for anyone that does design and the viewing angle is worse then my 5 year old dell monitors. I'm really surprised these monitors have gotten the reviews they have and just wanted to forewarn others that unless you just want a cheap panel than this may not be for you.

That was a mistake i made by not reading enough. The panels are great for YouTube and games though i guess.

I don't find them that bad except for the viewing angles, I need more flexibility in more work area. But if you have it positioned correctly and you still don't like the image, there's not much you can do after some basic calibration.

I had one for about a month. I was initially wowed by teh size, but the pixel density and colors were too awful to bear. I managed to hammer a semi-decent picutre out of it, but I just never warmed up to it. Got about $10 less than I paid for it on eBay, glad I sold it now. Same results with my Samsung T260, which sent me back to smaller panels.

I think proper color-calibration will help with color rendition a bit but not with viewing angles...

People that bought this monitor aren't concerned with either of those issues as it is the same with all TN panels. These are gaming panels only.

People that bought this monitor aren't concerned with either of those issues as it is the same with all TN panels. These are gaming panels only.

Just because people are willing to accept some trade offs with a TN panel doens't mean they don't care about the color issues. I'd agree just about everyone accepts the viewing angles, and for most I'd bet that has little impact since you usually worry about how your screen looks head on. But even TN panels are capable of "decent" color (not great or professional quality, but better than rubbish), so when a panel is paticularly poor at color reproduction it's worth discussing.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I want my games to look good and that means decent color as well.

In that case get a CRT, best of all worlds otherwise shell out $2000 for a half descent LCD.

this is correct, if your getting this monitor to do designs and edit pictures this is the worst. but as far as internet, gaming, videos its awesome! i actually use a samsung 906bw 19" lcd to edit pics on, but even then they dont have that true color to it.

Even amongst generic TN panels, viewing angle will vary WILDLY. Actual viewing angle has a lot to do with backlighting, screen filters, and the transmissiveness of the panel elements. Take a look at these two fairly rerpresentative 22" panels:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=38&mo1=216&p1=2096&ma2=36&mo2=370&p2=3448&ph=8

You really have to check out comparisons like this or use it as a guide for an in-store demo before you buy. Even among the same brand panel (Samsung for example), you'll see the same differences.

FWIW, we've recently bought several generic Dell 19-22" panels at my office and the viewing angles on them turned out surprisingly good (still a TN).

If color accuracy is important then stay away from TN panel monitors. I bought an Asus VK246H which was the first TN panel monitor I ever bought. I bought it to monitor some processes on my HTPC so I just need something relatively inexpensive since it only get used 0 - 5 hours per week. After a lot of tweaking I got to a point where I think the colors are acceptable. It's low input lag of less than 2ms on average makes it a good gaming monitor.

Anywaste, the VK246H and all other TN panel monitors are geneally good for the average person / gamer. Me? I'd rather stick with my NEC and Planar H-IPS panels.

I think the best bet for a cheap high quality monitor is to watch the used and refurb market and pick up a cheap 8 bit panel. I just got two nice 24" HPs for $500 shipped. They are refurbs but they work perfectly. And the picture is much better than the VW266H I bought for my father-in-law.

i have this monitor and i like it. I bought it primarily for gaming and the inputs. i knew it was a tn panel and i was willing to live with it. the colors do shift when you view at angles but that doesn't bother me because i only sit directly in front of it anyways. if you were looking for color accuracy then you shouldnt have even been looking at this monitor.

If it looks anything like my VH236H, I'm not surprised. Mine is more or less useless for anything other than gaming, which is why I have my Dell 2005 FPW next to it...but for gaming, it's amazing.

Not sure if it's just a bigger version of the same panel, but you can read my review of the VH236H here: http://livingwithanerd.com/asus-vh236h-review/ (pic in the review was taken before I put the Dell next to it)

Last edited:
Back