Asus VS248H-P Fuzzy/Blurry Picture

Hawkeye379

n00b
I just bought this monitor and have my Xbox 360 "slim" hooked up to it and the picture is very fuzzy/blurry. The Xbox is set to 1080p using HDMI. I have a 720p LCD HDTV from 4 years ago and it is crystal clear and very crisp compared to this, it puts the Asus to shame. I've tried every possible setting and can't seem to get the picture clear and crisp. The picture just looks awful, it's so fuzzy/blurry.

I've never seen anything like this before and certainly wasn't expecting it.

Does anyone know what the problem might and how to fix it? I can't figure it out.

The Asus VS248h is a 2ms TN, the one Digital Versus reviewed (VS247h) is a 5ms TN. Trace Free changes the overdrive not the sharpness.

@Hawkeye

Try changing the sharpness in the OSD. It might not be accessible in every colour preset. I can't access the sharpness on my VG236H in the Standard mode but can in the Scenery/Theater/Game/Night View modes for example. Also Make sure under the Display tab in the Xbox 360 console settings, set the reference levels to Intermediate and the HDMI Colour Space to RGB. If that does not help return it.

The Asus VW246H, VH242H and VH236H are all super popular on New Egg, maybe exchange the VS248H for one of these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20

The VH236H is the official MLG console gaming monitor ...
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitor...-33615002.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've tried every picture mode (and every possible setting) and the sharpness is maxed out on all them, and I changed the Xbox 360 to Intermediate and RGB but the picture is still fuzzy/blurry. I guess I'll have to exchange it for a different monitor.

I was originally going to get the VH236H, maybe I should get that one. At the store I bought mine from, the employee said that the VE248Q is better than the VS248H-P, but I don't know. I'm going to use it for Xbox 360 almost exclusively, so perhaps the VH236H is the one I should go with, plus it's about $55 cheaper.

I was certainly not anticipating something like this, it's too bad.

Last edited:
I've heard of a glitch introduced with the recent dashboard update that messed up the 1080p output on the Xbox 360 (720p no matter what). Also you are comparing viewing the Xbox 360 with a native 720p TV vs upscaled 1080p you see on the ASUS. 99% of the games runs on 720p or lower and upscaling to 1080p will introduce blur.

I've heard of a glitch introduced with the recent dashboard update that messed up the 1080p output on the Xbox 360 (720p no matter what). Also you are comparing viewing the Xbox 360 with a native 720p TV vs upscaled 1080p you see on the ASUS. 99% of the games runs on 720p or lower and upscaling to 1080p will introduce blur.

I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to my 720p HDTV, and it looks perfectly fine. I recently had a 46" 1080p TV that I returned and it was perfectly fine with my Xbox set to 1080p. I'm pretty sure that was before the recent dashboard update, but I remember reading that the previous update messed the color space up or something and this most recent one fixed it.

So either the most recent update messed something else up or the problem is with the Asus monitor itself. I can't try the 1080p output on a different screen because I only have a 720p TV unfortunately.

Well I exchanged it for the Asus VE248Q, but now I have a new problem, it's flickering rapidly non stop. I have no idea why, must be defective. The picture still seems soft to an extent, not as bad though, surely this can't be how monitors look? My 720p TV is sharper and clearer than a 1080p monitor. It's not because most games are <720p because the 46" 1080p TV I had briefly looked just as sharp and crystal clear in 1080p as my 720p TV. So it's the monitors that look fuzzy and soft for whatever reason.

I'm going to exchange this one for the VH236H and hopefully that will be fine. I just don't believe this is how monitors look, I always read how crisp and clear monitors are but what I'm experiencing is the exact opposite; a soft, fuzzy picture.

Last edited:
Back