• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS VG27AH

I'm gonna check this one out.

I had the VG278HE. Loved the size, but the shortcommings of a TN panel were definitely more noticable than at 23".

Wish this one had a 120hz panel though.
 
I tried the LG one 27 ips passive 3D and that one 3d movies were wonderful,m 3D games? If you had to read any kind of small text it was awful. And its 27" 1080 with dot pitch .31. Just to big of a screen.

I tied the Asus 144hz. This was the blacks were for ME just really really really bad. Again 27" 1080 dot pitch .31. Just awful for ME.
 
I have one of these coming to me tomorrow.

Please update us! I ordered one today.

Honestly 1080p, IPS, 27" is what interests me. Getting a crazy high res korean IPS with shoddy build quality and limited inputs or support doesn't excite me too much.
 
Last edited:
Please update us! I ordered one today.

Honestly 1080p, IPS, 27" is what interests me. Getting a crazy high res korean IPS with shoddy build quality and limited inputs or support doesn't excite me too much.

At work now, will get around to pictures and impressions tonight.
 
Please update us! I ordered one today.

Honestly 1080p, IPS, 27" is what interests me. Getting a crazy high res korean IPS with shoddy build quality and limited inputs or support doesn't excite me too much.

LMAO you have no clue. Shoddy build quality, ya right I guess I got "lucky" with my four perfect 1440p displays then and as far as inputs go, if your a serious gamer then you either have a higher level AMD or Nvidia gpu and those gpus all have a Dual Link DVI port so where is the problem? Stop speaking out of your ass, because the Korean 1440p displays are phenomenal....especially the Catleap 2B & Overlord Tempest OC variants that can handle 120+hz.

And to the OP, I had the Asus144hz HE variant and it was an excellent display that also produced the best 3D I have ever seen on a consumer display, but I would not pay $500 for it. IMHO those displays should sell for $299 max.
 
Last edited:
Yhe ASUS VG278HE I had looked great ecept for large black areas. Sometimes it looked like there was a blue hue to it. Also, there seemed to be an excessive amount of "Blue" to the picture in general (the picture being fixed by some color tweaking). Also, the it being TN made viewing angles more noticable than on my 23" TN.

Nice display, but not at the pricepoint.

I, personally, won't buy one of those Korean monitors. It sounds like they work out great for some people and not so much for others (like any product I guess), and I would rather work with a company that has a more stable/well-known mode of Customer Support and a stable history . Just my opinion, of course.
 
Aside from this:



I love the new VG27AH. I however will be looking at a exchange/replacement as the light bleed is too bad for me.

Color/fidelity and response time is great.
 
LMAO you have no clue. Shoddy build quality, ya right I guess I got "lucky" with my four perfect 1440p displays then and as far as inputs go, if your a serious gamer then you either have a higher level AMD or Nvidia gpu and those gpus all have a Dual Link DVI port so where is the problem? Stop speaking out of your ass, because the Korean 1440p displays are phenomenal....especially the Catleap 2B & Overlord Tempest OC variants that can handle 120+hz.

And to the OP, I had the Asus144hz HE variant and it was an excellent display that also produced the best 3D I have ever seen on a consumer display, but I would not pay $500 for it. IMHO those displays should sell for $299 max.

Wow, you seem butt hurt.

I prefer a lower resolution screen. There are plenty of posts with people not as "lucky" as you. My gaming dollar goes a lot farther and I get support in case of an issue.

So LMAO yourself. I ordered my VG27AH and it should be in later today.
 
I love the new VG27AH. I however will be looking at a exchange/replacement as the light bleed is too bad for me.

that may be ips glow, not backlight bleed. how close was the camera to the screen? backlight bleed tends to be a yellow color. on these panels, ips glow is silvery.

also, see if you can run >60hz refresh rates. the acer s275hl can hit 75hz and the aoc i2757fh can hit 100hz with some pixel artifacting. both use basically the same panel as the vg27ah.
 
Last edited:
that may be ips glow, not backlight bleed. how close was the camera to the screen? backlight bleed tends to be a yellow color. on these panels, ips glow is silvery.

also, see if you can run >60hz refresh rates. the acer s275hl can hit 75hz and the aoc i2757fh can hit 100hz with some pixel artifacting. both use basically the same panel as the vg27ah.

I am using my DSLR zoomed in, so I am not that close as it appears in the picture.

Before I settled on this display, I did pick up a LG IPS277L and the backlight bleed wasn't nearly as bad as this, and its a IPS panel as well. With displays its luck of the draw.

I'd be interested to see everyone else's experiences with a dark image to see the bleeding results on the VG27AH. My replacement display should be here Monday or Tuesday. I will post results.
 
Last edited:
Wow, you seem butt hurt.

I prefer a lower resolution screen. There are plenty of posts with people not as "lucky" as you. My gaming dollar goes a lot farther and I get support in case of an issue.

So LMAO yourself. I ordered my VG27AH and it should be in later today.

Lol I love the irony...you down the Korean 1440p displays and say they have "shoddy quality," yet BatJoe above your post is returning his Asus VG27 because of the horrid backlight bleeding...LMAO....yea top notch quality from a "name brand" vendor right there. And the best part is you just ignore that because its "name brand" :p

I have owned tons of Dell, Asus, Gateway & Samsung displays and have had issues with almost every one of those manufactures' products (First two Dell U2410s had tons of dead pixels and backlight bleeding, Two of my Samsung displays had issues with displayport syncing, my old Gateway XHD3000 up died a week after the warranty ran out, and my Asus HE had too much backlight bleed just like Batjoe). Knock on wood, but I have had ZERO problems or issues with my Korean 1440ps and I would be so bold as to say that they have been the best displays I have ever owned...but you keep over paying for subpar displays, keep talking down about a product you never owned or used and continue on living in your fantasy bubble :eek:
 
Last edited:
Lol I love the irony...you down the Korean 1440p displays and say they have "shoddy quality," yet the OP above you is returning his Asus VG27 because of the horrid backlight bleeding...LMAO....yea top notch quality from a "name brand" vendor right there. And the best part is you just ignore that because its "name brand" :p

To be fair, no company is perfect. As I said, with any display its a luck of the draw.
 
Hi there,

Would any of the owners be kind enough to do the pencil waving test or anything similar to check if PWM is there? Also I have read someone saying that this monitor can do 75hz? could anyone please verify that as well?

Thank you
 
Hi there,

Would any of the owners be kind enough to do the pencil waving test or anything similar to check if PWM is there? Also I have read someone saying that this monitor can do 75hz? could anyone please verify that as well?

Thank you

It may using third party software to essentially over clock the display, but no, by default it is 60hz only.
 
Thanks for that!! :) Any of the other owners shed some light on the PWM flicker?


Thank you
 
I received my VG27AH this past Friday and overall my impressions are favorable. The only issue I am having is backlight bleed as BatJoe mentioned.

But I am happy to report the monitor works great at 70Hz and 72Hz over HDMI (I haven't tested the other inputs). 75Hz proved too much though.
 
I received my VG27AH this past Friday and overall my impressions are favorable. The only issue I am having is backlight bleed as BatJoe mentioned.

But I am happy to report the monitor works great at 70Hz and 72Hz over HDMI (I haven't tested the other inputs). 75Hz proved too much though.

Was your bleeding worse or better than mine?

EDIT: My replacement arrived today. Set it up and same issues with light bleeding. So I am sad to say I will be returning this display for good. Avoid at all costs.
 
Last edited:
Are you keeping the brightness cranked and using the default settings? Most IPS/PLS will have obvious bleeding and glow when using high brightness. Try setting the brightness to a normal level, like 30-40 in the Menu.
 
Are you keeping the brightness cranked and using the default settings? Most IPS/PLS will have obvious bleeding and glow when using high brightness. Try setting the brightness to a normal level, like 30-40 in the Menu.

Yep, tried many different settings and its similar to the photo I posted earlier.

Going to try the BenQ gw2750hm. Supposed to have great blacks and contrast.
 
I received my VG27AH this past Friday and overall my impressions are favorable. The only issue I am having is backlight bleed as BatJoe mentioned.

But I am happy to report the monitor works great at 70Hz and 72Hz over HDMI (I haven't tested the other inputs). 75Hz proved too much though.
The 72hz has to be a treat, it's a correct multiple for other uses so you could leave it that way 24/7 and not have issues with other programs (as opposed to 75hz that is).

As for backlight bleed, i am not very picky, but i now draw the line at moderate backlight bleed since i am aware of the ways it can happen (doesn't speak well for the MFR put it that way). Personally it would cause me to return or exchange but we all choose our own poison so...

Yep, tried many different settings and its similar to the photo I posted earlier.

Going to try the BenQ gw2750hm. Supposed to have great blacks and contrast.
Sorry it didn't work out with the Asus, but hoping you eventually start a new thread to give your opinion on the BenQ GW2750hm. If i wasn't up to my neck in displays i would buy the BenQ in a heartbeat.
 
ASUS VG27AH (IPS):



BenQ GW2750HM (A-MVA):



Pretty obvious which monitor is better. And the BenQ is over $100 cheaper!
 
sadly, those who wear eyeglasses will probably want to steer clear of the vg27ah. with glasses on, faint horizontal lines are visible, like on a crt. no lines with my contacts on.

likely some sort of filter/coating clash between the screen and prescription eyewear.


otherwise, it's a decent monitor. i measured 1200:1 contrast, brightness adjustable from 18-275 cd/m2, 2.15 gamma, and very good colors out of the box (average Δe of 2, max of 5). it can actually take >72hz refresh rates, but past 72hz, the image looks like its been run through a scaler, so it's not very nice to look at.

surprisingly, the unit i got had almost no backlight bleed. white uniformity was not that good though.


back to amazon it goes.
 
Last edited:
I wear prescription glasses and can't see the lines. I've had 2 other glasses wearing friends look at my VG23AH, and neither of them could see grey lines and they can both see the difference between the different types of matte coatings.
 
I wear prescription glasses and can't see the lines. I've had 2 other glasses wearing friends look at my VG23AH, and neither of them could see grey lines and they can both see the difference between the different types of matte coatings.

i'd chalk this up to differences between our lenses then. it's the only thing that makes sense.

when i first started using the monitor, i thought it was a problem with the unit. then i remember seeing some users complain about horizontal lines with the vg23ah on another forum and glasses being mentioned. so i tried my contacts and the lines disappeared.
 
How does the VG27AH look in reality, especially compared to the "frame-less" 27 IPS 1080 Displays like the LG, Acer and Viewsonic.
On pictures it looks less bulky than the VG23AH, but not as slim and nice as the new "LG based" Displays.
A drawback of these Displays seems to be, that none of them has VESA mounting option, especially not the 3D capable AOC d2757Ph (more 1/4 cheaper than the VG27AH).

And how does the 27 size with the 1080 resolution work for normal Windows programs, Web Surfing, ....
I think for movies 27 it is better than 23.
But which distance is good for casual working with the 27?
 
How does the VG27AH look in reality, especially compared to the "frame-less" 27 IPS 1080 Displays like the LG, Acer and Viewsonic.
On pictures it looks less bulky than the VG23AH, but not as slim and nice as the new "LG based" Displays.
A drawback of these Displays seems to be, that none of them has VESA mounting option, especially not the 3D capable AOC d2757Ph (more 1/4 cheaper than the VG27AH).

And how does the 27 size with the 1080 resolution work for normal Windows programs, Web Surfing, ....
I think for movies 27 it is better than 23.
But which distance is good for casual working with the 27?

The VG27AH isn't slim. And it is really heavy. Compared to my GW2750HM and my previous VE278Q.

I don't really have a problem with 1080 @ 27.
 
How does the VG27AH look in reality, especially compared to the "frame-less" 27 IPS 1080 Displays like the LG, Acer and Viewsonic.
On pictures it looks less bulky than the VG23AH, but not as slim and nice as the new "LG based" Displays.
A drawback of these Displays seems to be, that none of them has VESA mounting option, especially not the 3D capable AOC d2757Ph (more 1/4 cheaper than the VG27AH).

as batjoe said, it's not as slim as the new wave of 'bezelless' monitors, and it's heavier. on the plus side, the vg27ah is more solid and feels higher quality because of it. and because of the solidity, the panel is mounted rigidly and doesn't flex like on the slim monitors.

the vg27ah does use a vesa stand and the included one has swivel and height adjustment unlike the slim monitors.


And how does the 27 size with the 1080 resolution work for normal Windows programs, Web Surfing, ....
I think for movies 27 it is better than 23.
But which distance is good for casual working with the 27?

if you're used to a 1200p display, you might miss the vertical area for productivity, and the largish pixels might bother you. it doesn't bother me, but some people don't like it. you'll need to try the monitor for yourself.
 
Last edited:
I wear prescription glasses and can't see the lines. I've had 2 other glasses wearing friends look at my VG23AH, and neither of them could see grey lines and they can both see the difference between the different types of matte coatings.

Same. I can't see them either.
 
sadly, those who wear eyeglasses will probably want to steer clear of the vg27ah. with glasses on, faint horizontal lines are visible, like on a crt. no lines with my contacts on.
Thank you! Good to know that I wasn't the only one that's experiencing this "problem" with VG27AH. Just like you said. You can see faint lines wearing glasses, but the lines disappear once you take off the glasses or put on contact lenses instead. How strange!
 
Thank you! Good to know that I wasn't the only one that's experiencing this "problem" with VG27AH. Just like you said. You can see faint lines wearing glasses, but the lines disappear once you take off the glasses or put on contact lenses instead. How strange!

the explanation that makes the most sense is that some eyeglass lenses are using a polarized coating for antiglare and this is making the horizontal lines visible.
 
Thanks for the reply. I have some more questions regarding VG27AH though:

it can actually take >72hz refresh rates, but past 72hz, the image looks like its been run through a scaler, so it's not very nice to look at.
I can only set my unit up to 60hz. Any number higher than that the resolution would be automatically scaled down. In other words I can't have a 1080p resolution with a fresh rate higher than 60hz. I'm using DVI cable. Could this be the cause? Would it solve the problem if I used HDMI instead?

Also at the risk of sounding stupid: what's the point of setting refresh rate higher than 60hz? What are the benefits? Thanks.

surprisingly, the unit i got had almost no backlight bleed. white uniformity was not that good though.
About the white uniformity issue. Were you referring to the phenomenon where the white appears to be slightly yellowish/warm on the left side of the monitor while the right side has a more "coldish" white? Cuz mine has the same problem too. And both of the two units I received had the same uniformity issue only with different degrees of severity.

As far as I understand. The poor white uniformity seems the be the norm for IPS panels. I have a U2311H which is also IPS and it has white uniformity issue as well, but it's only ever-so-slightly visible so can be easily ignored under normal use.
 
I can only set my unit up to 60hz. Any number higher than that the resolution would be automatically scaled down. In other words I can't have a 1080p resolution with a fresh rate higher than 60hz. I'm using DVI cable. Could this be the cause? Would it solve the problem if I used HDMI instead?

if your dvi cable is single link you might run into problems. a dual link cable should do the trick, or you can use hdmi.


Also at the risk of sounding stupid: what's the point of setting refresh rate higher than 60hz? What are the benefits?

mainly smoother motion for games if your rig can maintain the higher fps.


About the white uniformity issue. Were you referring to the phenomenon where the white appears to be slightly yellowish/warm on the left side of the monitor while the right side has a more "coldish" white? Cuz mine has the same problem too. And both of the two units I received had the same uniformity issue only with different degrees of severity.

what i noticed on my unit was poor luminance uniformity. the right side of the screen was noticeably darker than the left.
 
what i noticed on my unit was poor luminance uniformity. the right side of the screen was noticeably darker than the left.
Mine too, except that not only is the left side of the screen brighter, it also has a slight yellow tint to it, while the left side (despite being a little darker) has no such tint. In fact, rather than poor luminance uniformity, it actually looks more like an uneven color temperature across the white screen, at least to me.
 
Back
Top