I just got my new VG278 setup. For those that don't feel like spending hours looking at test images, here ya go:
Scenery Mode: Of the 6 modes available, Theatre, sRGB, and Standard are the best options. The settings will need to be different for each so if you dont choose Standard as I did, some of the following will not be correct. Theatre looks nice for some things, with vibrant colors, contrast, and a pleasing dark image. It also allows full control of all settings. Some of them stick for other modes like the Skin color, so you can go here to set them for modes that dont allow adjustment of those settings. Unfortunately, the gamma curve is a mess for Theatre mode. The gamma curve on sRGB is a little better than Theatre mode but not as good as Standard. Also, sRGB doesn't let you adjust anything and doesn't look better than Standard, so Standard it is.
Brightness: This has little if any bearing on the other settings so season to taste. I left it at 90.
Contrast: Gamma and black level was ok with anything from 56-78, with IQ steps at 56, 64, 71, and 78. I liked 64 best but any will work.
Saturation: Greyed out for Standard mode, but fine at 50.
Color Temp: As usual, too blue. Go to Color Temp\User mode\User mode and reduce the blue level from 100 to 85-90. One review suggested 85, but I think 90 looks more natural.
Sharpness: I prefer 0 but it is stuck at the stock 50 on Standard mode, which looks fine on this monitor.
Trace Free: Per Digitalversus, 40 is best.
With these settings the gamma curve is dead flat at 2.1-2.2 there is no contrast crushing with any color. For richer colors I decreased the global gamma to .95 in the nVidia CP which gave me a gamma of 2.2. I fooled around with Theater mode for quite a while and while it looks richer, I couldn't remove the screwed up gamma curve and how it messes up some images.
Also, I don't see any backlight bleed issues at all as some have reported.
Scenery Mode: Of the 6 modes available, Theatre, sRGB, and Standard are the best options. The settings will need to be different for each so if you dont choose Standard as I did, some of the following will not be correct. Theatre looks nice for some things, with vibrant colors, contrast, and a pleasing dark image. It also allows full control of all settings. Some of them stick for other modes like the Skin color, so you can go here to set them for modes that dont allow adjustment of those settings. Unfortunately, the gamma curve is a mess for Theatre mode. The gamma curve on sRGB is a little better than Theatre mode but not as good as Standard. Also, sRGB doesn't let you adjust anything and doesn't look better than Standard, so Standard it is.
Brightness: This has little if any bearing on the other settings so season to taste. I left it at 90.
Contrast: Gamma and black level was ok with anything from 56-78, with IQ steps at 56, 64, 71, and 78. I liked 64 best but any will work.
Saturation: Greyed out for Standard mode, but fine at 50.
Color Temp: As usual, too blue. Go to Color Temp\User mode\User mode and reduce the blue level from 100 to 85-90. One review suggested 85, but I think 90 looks more natural.
Sharpness: I prefer 0 but it is stuck at the stock 50 on Standard mode, which looks fine on this monitor.
Trace Free: Per Digitalversus, 40 is best.
With these settings the gamma curve is dead flat at 2.1-2.2 there is no contrast crushing with any color. For richer colors I decreased the global gamma to .95 in the nVidia CP which gave me a gamma of 2.2. I fooled around with Theater mode for quite a while and while it looks richer, I couldn't remove the screwed up gamma curve and how it messes up some images.
Also, I don't see any backlight bleed issues at all as some have reported.
Last edited: